High temperature problems: Tent, DWC, LED

terrasaur

I have no fans or anything currently, but my temps are 86f, and up to 95f in my dwc res. I have black buckets, which I realize now is a pain in my ass.

I have a series of adjustments to make since I spent a good lot of cash on hydroponic equip, and I don't want to give up and switch to soil just yet.
I was thinking, reflective tape on the top/ sides of my buckets, moved my air stones outside of the tent so it is pumping cooler air into the buckets. Next i need some sort of intake and outtake fans, and a fan inside of the tent. I'm assuming I'd need to get air ducts and fans that fit with those reflective foil-snakes. I could also use foil covered cardboard to completely shade the buckets from the light (under the plant, around the stem). Another idea would build my system into rdwc and recirculate cold water with a peltier device or something.

Will this be enough to cool my whole tent and buckets down? Please note that the bucket temp is my biggest worry. Im thinking my plants (currently just sprouting) wont grow in hot soup. What do you recommend?

Hi terrasaur

Reflective tape helps but fans are a must. If you have enough space, do another bucket outside the tent with a water pump. That's how I did it. Still battling high tems but it's manageable now. Changing frozen bottles every two hours, managed to get my res temps down to 25 centigrade (77F).

And lots of air - I'm pumping over 600 liters per hour, pumps are located outside the tent.

Btw, what do you mean by "moved my air stones outside of the tent"? Shouldn't your airstones be in your res? Or did you mean air pumps?

26_07_2.jpg
26_07_3.jpg
24_07_3.jpg
24_07_4.jpg

All the best.

Croatsan is right exhaust fan and fan to move air inside the tent is the missing piece of the puzzle.
We use dwc in a 2x4x5 tent with 2 300w led fixtures.
Our temps in our res are low to mid 70's and ambient temperature is mid 80's.

get a smaller chiller and hook it up to a res outside of temp. you must keep water temps stable for dwc or you are just asking for problems. you also want an extraction fan hooked up to a carbon filter. hang the carbon filter above or to the side of the lights, run a length of suct from carbon filter outside of tent then attch to a fan. never use an intake fan, you want to create negative pressure in the tent and that will pull air through the tent allowing plants to breathe and cool tent also. take the extraction duct out of the grow room if possible.

This gives kind of an idea, best pic i can find in my gallery. instead of running duct through the lights just run it out of a vent at top of tent then connect to fan.

2013-01-12_16_39_46.jpg

You seem to know everything you need to have a successful grow, but seeing that you have already started the grow without a lot of the essentials (good ventilation system,fans,etc.) you might have difficulty keeping your plants healthy. Until you can keep your grow room consistently 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit, I would recommend either keeping the water in the reservoir extra cool, or adding seaweed kelp extract to protect your plants from the heat stress. I would also recommend getting Hydroguard, because heat problems in a hydroponic grow setup almost guarantees Root Rot. Hope this helps, and good luck on your grow!

Okay Im going to get one of those off amazon, 110$ for the filter, duct, and fan isn't too bad considering how much I actually need it, and i can run the duct into my attic which is scorching hot anyways. I've done a lot of reading but setting this up I have bought more necessary equipment. Once I have my temps down to normal my plants should grow just fine.

attention to detail when building a room is key. good ventilation is a must so the plants can breathe. def a good a idea to extract into your attic so its away from the room. i thought i had more images of tent set ups in my gallery, i cant find them and i cant be arsed to scroll threw 1000's plants lol, but have a scroll through and you will come across something im sure.

as gamja god says you want hydro guard, cannazym, sensizym or guardian angel in res. it wiull help but once water starts getting warm the roots just drown. hope you can nail it.

have a flick through this journal, its an old one and i do alot different now but theres good info in there for dwc buckets and feeds etc etc.

DWC - Drip Irrigation Scrog 2400W

as gamja god says you want hydro guard, cannazym, sensizym or guardian angel in res

I have also heard only the best about "Recharge" from Real Growers. It's difficult to get it in Europe. "HydroGuard" is impossible to get because Botanicare doesn't ship to Europe (yet).

I'm battling high temps at the moment and thinking about any beneficial bacteria I could add and the choice is quite narrow in that department...

Keep your air pump outside tent and freeze small bottles of water and throw them in there to chill the water throughout the day until you can get a chiller

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I have also heard only the best about "Recharge" from Real Growers. It's difficult to get it in Europe. "HydroGuard" is impossible to get because Botanicare doesn't ship to Europe (yet).

I'm battling high temps at the moment and thinking about any beneficial bacteria I could add and the choice is quite narrow in that department...

add great white mycorrhizae, voodoo juice (advanced nutrients) and cannazym or sensizym. all available in europe mate. if you can find guardian angel that is similar to hydro guard.

add great white mycorrhizae, voodoo juice (advanced nutrients) and cannazym or sensizym. all available in europe mate. if you can find guardian angel that is similar to hydro guard.

Hi Cultivator

Thanks for the advice. I was aware of Great White and Woodoo Juice but these were like, the last resort. This Advanced Nutrients stuff is really expensive...

But I'm glad and thankful you've directed me toward Cannazym and Sensizym. I think my local growshop has it.

My res is clean and everything is fine for now, but it's really hot here and I'm (barely) keeping res temps at 27-28 Celsius (around 81-83F) with frozen bottles. And August is going to be even hotter.

Thanks again and all the best.

Hi Cultivator

Thanks for the advice. I was aware of Great White and Woodoo Juice but these were like, the last resort. This Advanced Nutrients stuff is really expensive...

But I'm glad and thankful you've directed me toward Cannazym and Sensizym. I think my local growshop has it.

My res is clean and everything is fine for now, but it's really hot here and I'm (barely) keeping res temps at 27-28 Celsius (around 81-83F) with frozen bottles. And August is going to be even hotter.

Thanks again and all the best.

no problem. thats hot water in that res, roots will be struggling to breathe. Try wrapping the buckets with lagging or some form of insulation. as the canopy grows the water temps should come down as the heat and light is absorbed by the canopy. frozen bottles in the res where the roots are can actually damage the roots so be careful.

Advanced nutes is expensive but they do have a few good products, i swear by the ph perfect 3 part nutrient an i use the voodoo and sensizym. senszym and cannazym are very similar by sensizym is slighly cheaper and cannazym is highly counterfeited in europe. good luck.

frozen bottles in the res where the roots are can actually damage the roots so be careful.

Actually, I have that problem solved - have an additional 15l (nearly 4 gallon) res where i put frozen bottles.

24_07_3.jpg

a waterpump is in the same res, 1000 liters (around 260 gallons) per hour, pumping chilled, oxygenated water over the roots. I've shaved off a few degrees by having the water pump in a separate res.

24_07_4.jpg

I've wrapped the buckets in a reflective tape, basically did everything I could, short of buying some sort of a cooler. What really worries me is Pythium.

Advanced Nutriens are good, no doubt about that. I'm sure most of their products work as advertized. It's just that their whole marketing scheme is, how shall I say, a bit over-the-top. Too much in-your-face type of advertizing.

I mean, when I hear these stories of Australian guru's meditating at the mountaintops, dreaming of that perfect enzyme combination...

I worked for nearly five years for one of world's major advertizing agencies as an Art and Creative Director and an occasional copywriter.

Money was good but it was the five emptiest years of my life.

Didn't know that Cannazym is counterfeited. Gosh, nothing is sacred to these people :)

Thank you again and all the best.

Back
Top Bottom