Hoping to get a head start this year!

Coyote251

420 Member
Hi All, First post here on the forum, hope to get some helpful insight.

Last year I got a really late start due to cold weather, and an early finish do to a hurricane which drastically affected my yield. This year I was thinking about starting my plants indoors until the weather is suitable to transplant.

I have a couple old fairly large fish tanks that I thought I could use to germinate and start the plants in. My idea is that by doing this I can better control the environment (temp/humidity), getting the plants to a stronger state before putting them in the ground. I will be growing from seed and propagating in peat pellets, then move to transplantable pots . I thought I would paint the walls of the tank white and put some pea stone in the bottom to put the pots on to allow for drainage, possibly with a heating mat (maybe a thermostat) below it to control the temperature. This all seemed reasonable to me, but i'm open to opinions and ideas. Anything else I should consider.

My first real question is lighting, I have no real indoor growing experience. Is the fluorescent fish tank bulb sufficient for a light or is there something else I should be using? I have a canopy that takes a normal bulb as well so I could use that with a CFL or a dedicated grow type bulb if that would be better. I have no idea!!

Any help would be appreciated.

You probably need an LED grow light. For your starting purposes something like the Mars Hydro ts600 for like $90.

Even then you have to acclimate the plants to outdoors. Move them outside for an hour or two a day for a week.

I am not sure of your location but the depot has 3 ft shop led shoplights for like 20 bucks or so. perfect for starting seeeds and will work for about a month at the most but that should put you at a good time to place outdoors. If you really want to get them a little beefier a little larger light will increase growth and vigor. the mars light or even a nice little 4 foot 4 bulb t5 would work good. lots of options. I know some aquariium lights do work ok for plants they are probably not big enough depending how big your tanks are!
one love and good luck any questions just ask

I'll second the t5 fluorescent suggestion. They work better for seedlings than LED in my experience. Though I do think the spectrum of the LED I used may have been the culprit. If 4 foot bulbs are too long you can get 2 foot bulbs. I currently use a single 2 foot 6400k t5 HO for the seedlings as they emerge from the soil until the roots start to poke out of the peat pods, then under a 2 bulb 4 foot 6400k HO fixture until they have a couple of sets of true leaves. That's usually enough to get them to about a foot tall before I put them outside. I start my plants about the same time I start my tomatoes for outdoor grows.
@Apoc is right about hardening them off, though I usually put them in a spot where they'll get a couple of hours of direct sun a day, then gradually increase how much sun they get until they're in the spot I want them.

Thanks for all the advice. I cleaned up the fish tank and looked at the light canopies that I wanted to use. One canopy has four regular bulb holders so I am going to go with 4 Sunblaster 26W CFL 6400K bulbs in that one to get them started. The other canopy I have which I am able to use had a T8 bulb in it but the fixture was all falling apart. I took them apart to paint them and I'm just going to retrofit that one to a 24" T5HO 6400K like was mentioned above. That should give them a good start until I can get them out side. Now to get the tank and parts painted, and wait for the bulbs to show up.

Thanks for all the advice. I cleaned up the fish tank and looked at the light canopies that I wanted to use. One canopy has four regular bulb holders so I am going to go with 4 Sunblaster 26W CFL 6400K bulbs in that one to get them started. The other canopy I have which I am able to use had a T8 bulb in it but the fixture was all falling apart. I took them apart to paint them and I'm just going to retrofit that one to a 24" T5HO 6400K like was mentioned above. That should give them a good start until I can get them out side. Now to get the tank and parts painted, and wait for the bulbs to show up.
Sounds like a perfect start.

Back
Top Bottom