Hormonal boost?

Hi all happy back with another question drawn out from my wondering mindo_O. So ok a quick run down... I have three autos(females) in early flower in my room in a tent. My gf has had a mystery plant on the table in the kitchen down the hall for a while and it decided to show it's a male.... So obviously I sent him to the guillotine.... Well I went and checked the ladies they are good thank gawd. But made my mind wander a bit.... Here's the question: do female plants sense male plants? and if yes do they grow differently because of it? Like do they some how boost growth due to the male they sense near by in hopes of pollination? ...idk maybe this is something someone knows something about...if not then makes grounds for a new study......possibly lol

There has been limited research into that question, it's mostly been studied in perennial plants, not annuals. And while some plants can, and do, change sex from one year to another, the cause seems to be environmental, not hormonal, at least that was the conclusion of the papers I read. Marijuana is a little different in that its known to be both monecious and diecious. (One sex per plant, or both sexes on the same plant [hermie with/balls]). I would think that "Nanners" are more likely to be hormonally triggered, but I can't find any research on it.

There has been limited research into that question, it's mostly been studied in perennial plants, not annuals. And while some plants can, and do, change sex from one year to another, the cause seems to be environmental, not hormonal, at least that was the conclusion of the papers I read. Marijuana is a little different in that its known to be both monecious and diecious. (One sex per plant, or both sexes on the same plant [hermie with/balls]). I would think that "Nanners" are more likely to be hormonally triggered, but I can't find any research on it.
Thanks I have not found anything either... But thanks for taking the time to reply.

They do not release hormones or pheromones in the air. They would serve no purpose since they can't move towards the source. The only way a female plant can sense a male plant is the presence of pollen. If the female "senses" a male it puts all its energy into seed. If a female is getting older and still hasn't sense a males pollen it puts more energy into the flower. Make the flowers bigger, stickier, and more fragrant increases the chance the wind or a bug will bring in pollen it can catch.

Or is your question,
If the plants purpose is to reproduce, and the female can not find a male, hermaphrodite would be logical answer since it is possible?
These plants all flower at the same time in nature. Even at the equator where there is no light or environmental change. They have a saccadic rhythm calendar/clock. Genetic diversity is first priority. If it is stressed before the flowers are matured it can hermy if it thinks it won't survive long enough or be big enough to catch pollen from another plant. As long as the plant has no delays it fully intends to find pollen and concentrates all its energy to increase those odds. We harvest at that peak. The plant doesn't have the time or energy left to hermy in late flower.

They do not release hormones or pheromones in the air. They would serve no purpose since they can't move towards the source. The only way a female plant can sense a male plant is the presence of pollen. If the female "senses" a male it puts all its energy into seed. If a female is getting older and still hasn't sense a males pollen it puts more energy into the flower. Make the flowers bigger, stickier, and more fragrant increases the chance the wind or a bug will bring in pollen it can catch.

Or is your question,
If the plants purpose is to reproduce, and the female can not find a male, hermaphrodite would be logical answer since it is possible?
These plants all flower at the same time in nature. Even at the equator where there is no light or environmental change. They have a saccadic rhythm calendar/clock. Genetic diversity is first priority. If it is stressed before the flowers are matured it can hermy if it thinks it won't survive long enough or be big enough to catch pollen from another plant. As long as the plant has no delays it fully intends to find pollen and concentrates all its energy to increase those odds. We harvest at that peak. The plant doesn't have the time or energy left to hermy in late flower.
Thank you for the explanation it is appreciated. And good to know that they do not produce hormones/pheromones....my original thought was kinda based off a similar thought on the relationship between fennel and chili.... fennel releases a type of pheromone that reduces the growth of plants around it.....with the exception of chilli which seems to grow faster in fennels presence. So I guess the thought was maybe females could sense males near by and produce larger calyx with longer pistils and produce more clusters(bud) in hope of catching pollen from said close by male. But thank you for clearing it up....I do know that there isn't alot on the topic of how they react to each other in that aspect .

So little is known on these plants there could be some similar process that we are still unaware of. A lab could discover air born hormone next week.
For example. All of the equatorial strains are descendants of temperate photo types. Since day length dose not change near the equator how they flowered at the same time around the world was a mystery until two years ago. You can still trigger flowering with light manipulation on them because it is still in their genetic code. It's crazy how much we still don't know abought this plant.

So little is known on these plants there could be some similar process that we are still unaware of. A lab could discover air born hormone next week.
For example. All of the equatorial strains are descendants of temperate photo types. Since day length dose not change near the equator how they flowered at the same time around the world was a mystery until two years ago. You can still trigger flowering with light manipulation on them because it is still in their genetic code. It's crazy how much we still don't know abought this plant.

Another example is bamboo, it mostly grows from rhizomes (adventiciously), but they do sometimes flower, and when certain species of bamboo flower, they flower everywhere in the world at the same time. How do it know?

So you are wondering if your little vixens will get all hot and bothered if they knew a studdly ball bearing plant was just down the hall???? :hmmmm:
Sure would make things interesting!!! :ciao:
Yes actually good way to put it

Obviously, they hear it through the grapevine....(sorry....couldn't resist...)
Hey I'm just trying to get to the ....root...of this :p

Back
Top Bottom