How do i know if footprint is sufficient?

ottothief

:peace:I have a 8x8 room and want to have 6x6 footprint.I have a 1000 hps and a 400hps.Is there a way i can tell if the ladies are being properly covered.I am new at this so any tricks of the trade will not be forgotten.:thanks:

"properly" ... one side will have 1000 and one side 400? If you want even coverage you would have to move them.

With a 1000w hps you won't be having the lights very close to the plants. At least 24 inches away. So just turn the light on and see where the shadow from the hood hits and adjust accordingly. I use a 1000w hps with a vertizontal hood and that gives excellent coverage in my 8' X 8' grow. Just your 1000 should be enough for good light coverage. Its going to get hot though. So be sure and allow for lots of ventilation or an air conditioner.

As weed mentioned just forget about your 400 watt and use the 1000 watt. You should get very nice coverage with a 1000watt on a 6 by 6.

I'm in the second week of flower and i don't feel like the light is penetrating to the lower nodes .Maybe i just need to be more patient.I'm about 18 inches above the canopy with both lights.Maybe on the 21 st day i should just defoliate more of the lower possible popcorn bud and then it wouldn't bug me so bad wondering about the light penetration.

IS BONSAI LIKE LOLIPOPPING?:thumb:

Yeah same thing. I just like the word Bonsai more since my grow is all ninja style and if people come to steal my plants I got a samurai sword present for them :D.

Hang the 400w vertical just above the canopy rocking a ceramic metal halide :) Have the 1000w overhead with HPS :)

I agree with using all the light you can

more light = more bud.

You are the first person I have come across that has mentioned penetration as a problem with HID. I don't defoliate ... much. I try to take as little as possible off the plant. The fan leaves should be lifting up each light cycle to give the lower buds light but there are some cases where a leaf will block. When this happens I prefer to "tuck" the leaf below the bud site but as a last resort may take the leaf. I would try to use the 400 for side light like Icemud suggested to rock those lower buds in a more natural manner.

I agree with using all the light you can

more light = more bud.

You are the first person I have come across that has mentioned penetration as a problem with HID. I don't defoliate ... much. I try to take as little as possible off the plant. The fan leaves should be lifting up each light cycle to give the lower buds light but there are some cases where a leaf will block. When this happens I prefer to "tuck" the leaf below the bud site but as a last resort may take the leaf. I would try to use the 400 for side light like Icemud suggested to rock those lower buds in a more natural manner.

Too much light can sunburn plants though.

Good advice buckshot and friends.Ijust look at the tops and thereGREAT.Ilook on down and i just feel they need to be taken off to make the top half really great! Maybe 20 is to many .Dunno?1st time for me .8x8room.7x7 footprint.pruned in veg.maybe bonsai them on 21 day huh?:hmmmm::idea:

Good advice buckshot and friends.Ijust look at the tops and thereGREAT.Ilook on down and i just feel they need to be taken off to make the top half really great! Maybe 20 is to many .Dunno?1st time for me .8x8room.7x7 footprint.pruned in veg.maybe bonsai them on 21 day huh?:hmmmm::idea:

Stop! before you do anything, can you show us a pic?

bonsai is a tricky thing ... do that as an experiment 1st and see how you do

PS stop stealing cars, it really pisses people off! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Stop! before you do anything, can you show us a pic?

bonsai is a tricky thing ... do that as an experiment 1st and see how you do

PS stop stealing cars, it really pisses people off! :cheesygrinsmiley:

PSS it sounds like what you have growing is a S.O.G. or "sea of green" this does not make lower buds... it is not meant to! Each plant will put all its effort into the cola ... you will be happy in the end ... really

duh! sorry for replying!

HA you are a funny man buckshot but right on target.I do have a sea of green .Its just a cola thing huh.OK learned something new.Just hate seeing lowers suffer.They scream out "move this fat boy over" ha ha.Thanks for advice no bonsai just big colas.Wont the little buds take goodies from the colas?I will get pics asap.:thumb::peacetwo:Oh I take cars legally.:peace:

HA you are a funny man buckshot but right on target.I do have a sea of green .Its just a cola thing huh.OK learned something new.Just hate seeing lowers suffer.They scream out "move this fat boy over" ha ha.Thanks for advice no bonsai just big colas.Wont the little buds take goodies from the colas?I will get pics asap.:thumb::peacetwo:Oh I take cars legally.:peace:

Cool!

Oh I take cars legally.:peace:

So, you know it pisses people off! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Stay Safe

Back
Top Bottom