How far should I keep lights?

It varies a bit on the blurple, just have to move in small amounts so you can tell when it's too close. 18-24" in Veg closer to 15" in early Flower and once she done stretching will be slightly less than that (varies on Strain some too, I was usually 10-12" when they quit stretching for final distance to finish flowering). The back of the hand thing works too to tell you if too close, hold your hand at top of plant under light, if it's too hot to be comfortable for you it's too hot for the plant.

It varies a bit on the blurple, just have to move in small amounts so you can tell when it's too close. 18-24" in Veg closer to 15" in early Flower and once she done stretching will be slightly less than that (varies on Strain some too, I was usually 10-12" when they quit stretching for final distance to finish flowering). The back of the hand thing works too to tell you if too close, hold your hand at top of plant under light, if it's too hot to be comfortable for you it's too hot for the plant.
we always talking from the highest point of the plant right?

the blurple light is not how at all tbh, i'd have to literally put it 1 cm close for it to burn the plants

we always talking from the highest point of the plant right?

the blurple light is not how at all tbh, i'd have to literally put it 1 cm close for it to burn the plants

Yeah top of the plant, it can bleach the buds being too close w/o burning them and too close in Veg and they won't stretch at all and stay too squaty on you. Like I said it does vary a lot by each brand...those numbers I gave are what worked best for the el cheapo blurples I was using (think they were pretty similar in watts from the wall, though they were called 600 or 900 watts...can't recall as was a couple of years ago and one of them half the lights burned out recently so I bought a Mars TS 600 to replace it in one of my boxes and the other box still has the blurple until it pukes).

Yeah top of the plant, it can bleach the buds being too close w/o burning them and too close in Veg and they won't stretch at all and stay too squaty on you. Like I said it does vary a lot by each brand...those numbers I gave are what worked best for the el cheapo blurples I was using (think they were pretty similar in watts from the wall, though they were called 600 or 900 watts...can't recall as was a couple of years ago and one of them half the lights burned out recently so I bought a Mars TS 600 to replace it in one of my boxes and the other box still has the blurple until it pukes).
why is "too squat bad"? i would consider that good, ask we low stress train to prevent some branches getting too much light than others?

Most lights are good at min 18".
First primative test is to hold your hand under light and see how hot it gets, maybe even a garden thermometer at canopy level. Dont want too much heat! Second primative test is see if your leaves are getting burned and or buds bleaching. Then from there get more scientific with instruments, etc.

As for how many plants will depend on the footprint of the light...is it a 10x12 fixture shooting a column of light straight down? Or a spread out fixture covering a larger area? And how big are the plants?
In my blurple experience you can get nice buds under them and fluff on the outside edges.

why is "too squat bad"? i would consider that good, ask we low stress train to prevent some branches getting too much light than others?

If they don't want to reach for the light at all your nodes be right on top of each other and a 3" tall plant, and hard to train if it is all stacked on itself ;) .

Back
Top Bottom