How is yield calculated?

GrowingAgain

I have never been too worried about measuring yield from my grows. But it occurs to me that now that I have decent lights and have a couple of grows behind me, it might be wise to keep track so I can improve. But I have absolutely no idea of how/when to measure. Wet? After drying and before curing? After curing? I am so confused! 🙄

I have never been too worried about measuring yield from my grows. But it occurs to me that now that I have decent lights and have a couple of grows behind me, it might be wise to keep track so I can improve. But I have absolutely no idea of how/when to measure. Wet? After drying and before curing? After curing? I am so confused! 🙄
You could always weigh your harvested and trimmed buds. Hang and slow dry for 7- however long days in your particular environment. And your final Dry weight will be almost always 25% +- of the Wet weight at harvest. :hookah:

I usually judge my yield by how long it takes me to smoke it up. Which is usually shorter than I’d like!

NTH

Once my harvest is in jars curing, it is too late to be measuring because I have been sampling and testing. I measure my yield during the harvest. First I trim all the big leaves and then close trim the buds, getting down to what I am going to put in the jars, minus the stems and branches. After this trim and before washing and drying, I weigh my product and then I use this formula to figure out what my yield is going to be:
total wet weight of buds and branches - 10% = actual wet weight of the buds
divide the weight of the buds by 4 to estimate how much water weight will disappear in the drying process.
The cleaned up formula looks like this: dry weight = (wet weight - 10%)/ 4

Many yield charts are given in so many grams of product are expected per watt, so, figure out how many watts of power you are using. I use 500w of LED power. Divide your wattage by this dry weight number, watts/dry weight, and this is your grams per watt. Obviously, the larger your harvest, the more efficiently you have used your wattage.

Other yield charts figure your yield as to how many grams you can expect per square meter of grow space. Again, divide your square footage by your dry weight, and you will get your grams per square meter.

But I have absolutely no idea of how/when to measure.
When or 'if' I am going to measure it is after the drying process and just before putting into the jars for curing. By then I have discarded all the extra sticks or stems. I thought of measuring after the cure but figured it did not make that much difference in weight. As long as I was measuring at the same time (after dry & before cure) I was being consistent.

If you throw away those small buds low down on the plant and do not measure that stuff then on those harvests when you might be saving these buds for hash or salve then you have to separate them out before measuring to maintain the consistency in your record keeping.

Might as well write it down otherwise you will soon forget the bad harvests and will only be looking at the few great ones which will make it harder to keep track and find out if you really are improving. Kinda like the gambler who only considers the times he won big and ignores the times he lost or only won enough to break even for the day.

Back
Top Bottom