How much to water a 5 gallon plant

jman827

I normally water using a 1 gallon watering can but I heard your supposed to stop watering once it starts to runoff water due to it losing nutrients.

Is this true? Because then maybe my plants haven't been getting all their nutrients i feed them bc they lose it.

I use about 25% of the soil volume. For me, 5 gal pots would use about 1-1/4 gallons. A lot depends on how dry you let them get, the soil mix, etc. I put the pot inside another, larger pot so I can water from top down and bottom up. Once the soil will absorb no more, I let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then I drain them as much as possible and I'm done.

Don't go by volume of water. Water until completely drenched through and through. This takes time. Otherwise you will see runoff, but there will be lots of dry pockets in the pot.

Kinda off topic but i haven't been watering my plants properly throughout my grow. I've been using straight tap water without ph adjusting and not letting it sit out for 24 hours. I was told that i shouldn't feed my plants til a month because i am using "hot" soil (fox farm ocean forest) so i just fed them the first time 2 days ago because they just turned a month old with the fox farm nutrient trio under 1/4 recommended dosage and the plants are showing many nutrient deficiencies. Should i flush the plants or feed more? I was told that the plants could be hungry and are showing nutrient deficiencies because of it. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your time. This is my first grow trying to get a pound without reducing the yield by all these problems with the plants.

Btw i am using my general hydroponic ph up and down kit now for ph adjustment of the water.

1457888355112.jpg
1457888355112.jpg
1457888355112.jpg

I agree about not feeding new plants - especially in soil that already has nute's in it.

In addition to "proper watering", make sure you let the pots completely dry out before you water. Know what a dry pot feels like. Pick them up as see how light they are. The best time to water is about an hour before the plant wilts. While that may not be practical, you can get as close as possible. I let mine wilt once in a while just to make sure I'm correct about what "dry" feels like. Within a minute or two of watering, they bounce back. Way more plants get damaged by over watering than by under watering.

Soil mixes are usually well buffered against PH changes. You probably do not need to adjust PH unless your water is real crap.

Very ready for a drink (one gallon pot). Two minutes later she was back praying to the sun.
Thirsty1.jpg

With the size of your photos and the color from the HPS, I can't tell much about what's going on. After 1 month, 1/4 strength is probably OK. Just make sure it is nute' deficiency and not something else.

Should i flush you think or should i just try feeding them more?

Those two options are polar opposites. Which is correct (if either) depends on what the problem is. Don't shoot in the dark. Figure out what the problem is. Then you'll know the correct course of action. More/better pictures might help. So far, I can't tell what is going on.

Kinda off topic but i haven't been watering my plants properly throughout my grow. I've been using straight tap water without ph adjusting and not letting it sit out for 24 hours. I was told that i shouldn't feed my plants til a month because i am using "hot" soil (fox farm ocean forest) so i just fed them the first time 2 days ago because they just turned a month old with the fox farm nutrient trio under 1/4 recommended dosage and the plants are showing many nutrient deficiencies. Should i flush the plants or feed more? I was told that the plants could be hungry and are showing nutrient deficiencies because of it. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your time. This is my first grow trying to get a pound without reducing the yield by all these problems with the plants.

Btw i am using my general hydroponic ph up and down kit now for ph adjustment of the water.
Hi there! I'm a new grower (indoor) as well and also using ffof. 1-2 weeks before flower and just started easing them into nutrients, very light. Watering six 5 gallon fabric pots about a gal and a half- 2 gal total every other or every two days, depending on moisture in soil. (I harvest and use rainwater) They have always seemed very healthy this way. Seems less is more, nervous about flowering though.

Here’s my grow. First time in 5 gallon pails, water them once a day if it’s hot and sunny and if it’s been cloudy I wait for maybe every other day. I mostly gauge it by weight of Pail.

Attachments

• CC798450-F3D0-476A-AF4F-CB59A39AB66C.jpeg
    CC798450-F3D0-476A-AF4F-CB59A39AB66C.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 802
  • 4EA11EAF-929B-4EA1-851F-98BA57E61231.jpeg
    4EA11EAF-929B-4EA1-851F-98BA57E61231.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 766
Hi there! I'm a new grower (indoor) as well and also using ffof. 1-2 weeks before flower and just started easing them into nutrients, very light. Watering six 5 gallon fabric pots about a gal and a half- 2 gal total every other or every two days, depending on moisture in soil. (I harvest and use rainwater) They have always seemed very healthy this way. Seems less is more, nervous about flowering though.
Just remember don't over think and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom