How Old Does A Seed Have To Be To Plant It?

Seniorweeder

Hey folks, my first indoor grow ended a few weeks back and it was "Photo" strain that did pretty I well feel, except that near the end of flowering she hermed some on me. She produced nice buds after all but I also got some seeds from them. My question is how old does a seed need to be to plant it, or is it ok as soon as U get them? Also since the plant was female will these seeds be most likely female? Sorry if the last one is a stupid question! Thanks for your time !

Dawn Done 3-7-21.JPG

The seeds will sprout right away as long as they’re mature. They will be kind of inclined to hermie as well, like the mom, most likely. They will be female because there’s no male genetics in the mix

The seeds will sprout right away as long as they’re mature. They will be kind of inclined to hermie as well, like the mom, most likely. They will be female because there’s no male genetics in the mix
My own experience with fresh seeds is a bit different. I got 2 out of 12 to sprout, fresh from the plant. I did some research and found out that with some strains the seeds need either a month of rest, or to be put in the fridge for a couple of weeks. They can have a chemical in them that prevents early germination so that seeds won't sprout during the local winter, and it's broken down by cold and time.
Not all strains, but anything from an area that gets cold weather will likely have problems.

You totally could be right, and probably are. When I was a newbie I used to take it for granted that they needed time and I used to sometimes freeze them before sprouting. But people here convinced me that they were good to go right away, so that became my new MO and seems to have always worked so far.

I will readily admit that I only ever tried to germ seeds straight from the plant once, and it was a Hindu Kush, so a strain from an area that has a real winter.
I should add that I tried some more of them after that month had passed, and they popped, as did two that had fallen off the plant. It was really surprising to see those plants coming up the next Spring.

Not all strains, but anything from an area that gets cold weather will likely have problems.

Only tried it a couple times but one popped fine and other strain of mine had higher success rate a couple months later.

But back to topic, time on plant affects it more than time since dried as maturity of seed affects rate of success a lot.

Hey folks, my first indoor grow ended a few weeks back and it was "Photo" strain that did pretty I well feel, except that near the end of flowering she hermed some on me. She produced nice buds after all but I also got some seeds from them. My question is how old does a seed need to be to plant it, or is it ok as soon as U get them? Also since the plant was female will these seeds be most likely female? Sorry if the last one is a stupid question! Thanks for your time !

Dawn Done 3-7-21.JPG
Prefer fresh beans. I’ve never had a problem as long as they are brown.

I think maybe it depends on how mature you let the seeds become. My first grow I ended up with a ton of seeds out of my four xmas tree sized plants, and I culled probably 30 or more baby seedlings that started up in the pot below their mums before I even cut 'em. And then to boot, I put the empty pots in my back yard after they finished (august for the last one), and now here in spring, I see 4 or 5 more starting up out there now! It's kind of amazing, how they can choose to grow immediately or just wait and bide their time. (almost 8 months for some of those seeds!)

eta: I forgot to add, some few of them did actually germinate outside in the late summer heat, but I didn't rescue them from the cold as I was already overwhelmed by the big girls.

Once the seeds are mature and have been dried for a couple of weeks they're ready to go...and it helps to store them for a day or two in the fridge...dont freeze them, a freezer is much to harsh..in the ground they're somewhat protected

however the dry spell is more important

beans will be female but will be more sensitive to PH values So keep your meter calibrated. (at least once a week)
lot of grows went sour for me because i got that ehm ... Stoner laziness Ahum:cough:...however now i'm on top of that... smooth sailing :surf:

Like lots of other people- I store all my seeds in the freezer- have been for about eight years now
Well..if it works for you! Great...i never found the need for that...i keep them room temp in a zip lock bag...and like millions of other people that works great for me and never found the need to go to such extremes to germinate a seed...especially because a pollinated plant gives you most of the time a lifetime in seeds so a few aborts...who gives a D@mn

I have not had a success when trying to germinate fresh seeds when I tried a couple times.

I have always had success with any seed from a dried bud.
Well, yeah. Not that fresh. Lol. I didn’t mean take the beans from a plant that’s not harvested yet, but even when I have taken beans out of plants still growing. As long as they’re Brown.... I haven’t had a problem... the nugget don’t have to be dry. Lol. It’s a seed.

Well..if it works for you! Great...i never found the need for that...i keep them room temp in a zip lock bag...and like millions of other people that works great for me and never found the need to go to such extremes to germinate a seed...especially because a pollinated plant gives you most of the time a lifetime in seeds so a few aborts...who gives a D@mn
Keeping them cold will definitely make them last longer. I think we all care a bit about that. Some beans are a dime a dozen some beans are absolutely priceless.

All the seeds I tried were a dark mahogany brown. I still have some if you want a pic.
So, @Seniorweeder you may or may not be good to plant them fresh, lol. I would give them a week or two, or you can plant a bunch and see what happens.
Out of curiosity, what was the strain?

Back
Top Bottom