How to take seeds to maturity

Personally I just take them full cycle as more will be mature at that point, just have to be careful last week or so and when hanging up to dry as they like to pop out sometimes w/o much effort (and then you get strays growing in your pot or in the cracks of your floor, etc..).

It took my ATF seeds a lot longer than 5 weeks. I had to wait till the Lady was almost dead and the seeds pods were starting to split. I DID get a few hundred brown spotted seeds from that grow! :) But that was a full-plant seeding.

Just let them mature on the bud for 5weeks or more

How far into flower is the plant

They are near the end of flower. These are outside so I'm concerned about cold and damp causing mold.

Thanks all for these great tips. Hopefully I can get them spring garden ready.

I'm assuming I let them dry then store in a cool dark place.

Yes dry the Flowers like normal, and then put the seeds in a closed container in a dark place (I keep mine room temp and haven't had issues as of yet).

They are near the end of flower. These are outside so I'm concerned about cold and damp causing mold.

Shouldn't be an issue IMHO, as they would never survive in the wild and reproduce if it was ;). I've found I have a better germination rate if I don't try and pop them right away and wait a couple months, read somewhere there is an enzyme that causes a delay so they don't pop in the wild first sunny day in middle of Winter still out in the wild. If weather gets too bad I would harvest/bring them in, as sounds like they have had enough time for many of them to mature.

I store my seeds in those little beading jars in the refrigerator, in back of the lowest shelf. I assume that will keep them dormant enough to sprout years later. You get these at a craft shop.

My collection is a lot larger now. :slide:

Back
Top Bottom