Hydro Grow Problems

Yeah the nutritional needs of the plant changes as it matures…. so the nutes must be adjusted by grower to match the plants stage of growth, veg nutes for a veg plant, flower nutes for a flowering chick

Face palm - this message is brought to you from Captain Obvious…. we will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming…….

I’ll be here all nite - please tip your servers….

I think @Tokin Roll used the trio and might be able to help. I know someone else, but they aren't on much right now (till winter).

Myself I use the GH FloraNova series. 1 part grow and 1 part bloom. I like it simple.

Hmm, so the cal-mag I am using says to use 1 tbs per gallon. Should I really only use 2 ml per gallon?

And depending on how you answer, if you say I should actually use whatever is written on the label, doing it that way starts me off at 200 PPM pre nutrients. I did this twice so I know it's accurate. So would I then add nutrients until reach 600 PPM still (So 400 PPM worth of nutes). Or would I add nutrients until I hit 700 PPM, since post cal-mag I am at 200 and then I would be adding the originally suggested 500 PPM worth of nutes (100 cal mag + 500 nutes = 600 PPM)...

Or should I ignore the cal-mag label and just add however much I need to to get to 100 PPM then take it up to 600 with nutes?

Or should I ignore the cal-mag label and just add however much I need to to get to 100 PPM then take it up to 600 with nutes?
That's how I would do it. First...what cal mag are you using?

1664489834611.png

What's happening @bustedluck

Hmm, so the cal-mag I am using says to use 1 tbs per gallon. Should I really only use 2 ml per gallon?

Before I answer this question I have some.

Are you still using distilled water?

First what order are you mixing your nutrients? If they are not mixed in the right order the nutrients the ph will go wild.

Make your solution in the following order, some of these you may not have, that's okay just go to the next one you have.

Silica must go in the water first (5ml), it doesn't dissolve properly if not. Zero ppm's

Cal-mag next only about 100 - 150 ppm's about 1 teaspoon (5ml) in a 5 gallon bucket (3 3/4 gallon of solution) should do.

Micro has cal-mag in it so, don't get carried away with cal-mag. Cal-mag and Micro will raise your ppm's the most. It's been awhile since I use the three part, but I think it's around 10 ml for the micro, should bring you up to around 350 -400 on your ppm's

Grow comes next add about 1 tablespoon (15ml) should bring you up to about 500 -550.

Try to keep your ppm's below 600 in veg.

If you use Rapid Root this comes next with raise ph by 0.2 and has zero ppm's

Last comes the Hydro-guard I use about 10ml in a 5 gallon bucket. It will raise your ph by 0.1 zero ppm's

Now water temps. and ph.

Don't let you water temp go above 72 degrees for to long or root rot will set in 75 degrees in high. Prime water/solution temp is around 68 degrees. Did your chiller come yet?

PH I run my low so you don't need to know that for now, but try to keep it in the 5.8 - 6.2 range.

Now to answer your question.

This measurement is if you make a one gallon jug of cal-mag to feed during watering. Not always need if you already have it in your bucket. I believe this is mainly for soil.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

1)What are you using as a water source? RO, distilled, spring tap,,,? If it is tap water do you get calcium build up on taps or shower heads?
2) Ready source of Mag is Epsom salt.
3) Do you know the PPM scale? They come in 3 scales, the reason people like EC and it's one scale. When I first started hydro, my plants were starving at 800ppm. They loved 1900PPM. Got a new meter and 1900PPM res measured 650ppm on new meter. Your tap water should be 150-500PPM, spring water around 200PPM, distilled <5PPM.Good way to help determine scale.
4) Water starting PPM + 100 PPM calmag + 200- 400PPM seedling or 400-600PPM adult nutes.
5) Seedlings are plants with less than 4 nodes. Where the 2 leaves meet the stem is one node.
6) NPK is not N=leaves, P= flowers K= ?? magic ??
N is for leaf growth and green chlorophyll
P is for flowers and roots
K is for stems and disease resistance
Cal. for cell wall development
Mag is the center foundation of every cell in the plant
So yes you need all 3 and micro nutes all the time. I used flowering mix ( higher P K ) and calmag for early clones and seedlings when healthy stems and roots are the goal.

Hope this helps.

OK so then it sounds like I messed up the order the first time based on @Tokin Roll's comment. I dumped and refilled the buckets with new solution yesterday doing it in the right order. Maybe that's something. well have to wait and see.

@Sativa1970 , I am using distilled water (well its city water run through a reverse osmosis something or rather filter). Ultimately it read as 17 PPM on my meter before adding anything.

My PPM is sitting at right around 600 right now. But of course, I didn't use the flowering nute because I wasn't sure and the bottle does say its for the flowering phase.

What do you think sativa, should I refill again and this time use the flowering nute (thats what I had originally)? Also, the cal-mag bottle does specifically state that the 1 tbs per gallon is for hydro.

BTW here are some new pics since the refill yesterday.

@West Hippie, sorry its a long thread and I am losing track but I think you mentioned some of the dead leaves need to go. Is that because they are steeling nutes? How show I cut them off, do I do it where the leave meets the branch, or should I cut that entire branch off to the stem. They seem like big branches so wasn't sure.

20211023_164335.jpg

Thanks Sativa! Will cut away!

And yes I was use cal-mag already. Well originally I wasn't but by the time you got to the thread, I was using it and still having the same symptoms.

That said, I put it in post nutrients so maybe that could be related. I def did not mix in the right order the first time but when I did the change yesterday, I did.

Thanks. To be clear, I should cut where the branch for those leaves meets the stem? Or I just cut where the leaf meets the branch?
I’d just push down with your finger nail next to the main stalk , should come right off .

D9FBA53E-4484-4F56-9FA1-256CDA96025E.jpeg

1531ED82-6E89-4FBE-BC17-878EC51C0017.jpeg

76268AA5-608A-4116-864A-7DFB6EC6E1B0.jpeg

these work best for the top of your hydro pots available on the big A , cheap and allow you to attach a drip emitter and spreads the water evenly over top of the whole pot -flora flex system called and is split on one side to slide around the main stem

61zrUv-a0eL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Damn Hippie! Now I really feel lazy and old for not walking down to the grow room and taking a pic. You did that faster than I could google image that!
I’ve got some mother plants I’m neglecting lately and remembered that needed to get cleaned up . Well you see how lazy I am , letting them run completely out of water . :peace:

Back
Top Bottom