Increasing yield with defoliation indoors: What's it mean? How to do it?

beautiful looking plants bassman....but holy cow is that your arm!? maybe its YOU that needs defoliating :rofl:

Unfortunately if I defoliated that arm, it would come back with a vengeance! Let me just tell you, I will never go bald.

bit late to the party but have to say awesome bass man reps for that bro!

Im 6 weeks into flowering with nirvana wonderwoman in soil, thinking if u think its too late to defoliate?
heres pics
thanks ;)

20121212_181326.jpg
20121212_181636.jpg

Unfortunately Joker, I would suggest passing on it this grow. You're too far into flower and didn't do any in veg to really benefit much imo. Wait till next grow.

Bass you think I cut to much on those 3 week old up there? they have not moved since i did... though they are super green n look healthy..

Bass you think I cut to much on those 3 week old up there? they have not moved since i did... though they are super green n look healthy..

heh, even if you could grow them back, if you had all your fingers chopped off, you would want at least a few days to recover too =D

relax bro, they will start to grow again and the nodal distance will improve dramatically.
the shock factor is the main reason defol on autos isnt always such a good idea.

superthrive or vitamine B type plant supplements will help speed things up =)

heh, even if you could grow them back, if you had all your fingers chopped off, you would want at least a few days to recover too =D

relax bro, they will start to grow again and the nodal distance will improve dramatically.
the shock factor is the main reason defol on autos isnt always such a good idea.

superthrive or vitamine B type plant supplements will help speed things up =)

Very Tru! Yes, I don't think I will do it with auto.. I'd rather LST them to hell.

I just gave them a nice feeding. I plan on seeing some action soon. My 2 Bubba Kush Responded very well. I chk them just now.

Thanks for encouragement, I felt like an ass stripping those young-ins down. But I didn't think i just did it, if i would of thought, i might have looked up like danger from defoil.. defoil stunts to much grow.. etc etc. But I didn't am I'm very pleased so far.

Very Tru! Yes, I don't think I will do it with auto.. I'd rather LST them to hell.

I just gave them a nice feeding. I plan on seeing some action soon. My 2 Bubba Kush Responded very well. I chk them just now.

Thanks for encouragement, I felt like an ass stripping those young-ins down. But I didn't think i just did it, if i would of thought, i might have looked up like danger from defoil.. defoil stunts to much grow.. etc etc. But I didn't am I'm very pleased so far.

one of my babies, this one is a bigbud 2. notice the micro tree in the background...thats suppose to be a 7ft dela haze i bonsai'd and regular defol keeps it from growing even tho its now in a hydro :rofl:

GEDC00058.JPG

one of my babies, this one is a bigbud 2. notice the micro tree in the background...thats suppose to be a 7ft dela haze i bonsai'd and regular defol keeps it from growing even tho its now in a hydro :rofl:
^^^SOOO Awesome..^^^
GEDC00058.JPG

Okay I fed them there first feeding of nutes yesterday night... after posting.. Wow. Here is the update from from defoil 2 days ago. I' very pleased.. and yea it makes them supper small.. which is awesome.. but the product will be very weight heavy.

+123123 to Defoliation

2 Days' agoo:

IMG_054419.JPG

IMG_054517.JPG

Just taken 15-20 min ago 5 weeks old 2morrow (Bubba Kush):

2012-12-17_19_21_17.jpg

2012-12-17_19_21_26.jpg

2012-12-17_19_46_19.jpg

2012-12-17_19_22_55.jpg

Got some Nut burn coming in.. I kinda over did it with the first feeding. I had a feeling, oh well. They beter adapt fast.
Cheers!

Hey guys, Sorry Ive been away for 2 weeks, Now playing catch up! My girl has been growing well, But there have been a few issues.. Twice she s looked nearly dead and I freaked, But it turns out that due to the heat she was drying out in about 36hrs instead of 48-60hrs. So Ive bumped up her water intake and now she s growing nicely! I am quite confident that Ill be getting around 12oz dry again off her, She will be into flower in 2 weeks.. CANT WAIT- BUDS BUDS BUDS:) Ive stripped her pretty hard 2 weeks ago, removing branches and securing tether points, so she is set out nice and waiting for the HPS but she has 20cm to go til 3ft.. Then Ill flip her..

Hey guys, Sorry Ive been away for 2 weeks, Now playing catch up! My girl has been growing well, But there have been a few issues.. Twice she s looked nearly dead and I freaked, But it turns out that due to the heat she was drying out in about 36hrs instead of 48-60hrs. So Ive bumped up her water intake and now she s growing nicely! I am quite confident that Ill be getting around 12oz dry again off her, She will be into flower in 2 weeks.. CANT WAIT- BUDS BUDS BUDS:) Ive stripped her pretty hard 2 weeks ago, removing branches and securing tether points, so she is set out nice and waiting for the HPS but she has 20cm to go til 3ft.. Then Ill flip her..

Are you still using a 400w hps? Please, please, please take note that the optimal light depth of a 400w hps is only 21". Vegging to 3 feet tall, then getting 2x-3x stretch, will not do justice to your girls, defoliated or not. Even a 1k hps can't give the proper results with only 36" of optimal penetration and lumen delivery.

Hey Bass, Thanks for your concern..
Well I grew Cindy under my 400w HPS, and she gave me the largest buds Ive grown so far indoor or out!
Sure the lower canopy was lacking mate but the buds I got more than made up for it!! I would have pulled nearly 1 pound from her in 15 weeks in soil no Co2 or supercropping, Just my LST.
Im growing this plant in the same manner, and Im pretty sure Ill achieve similar results - not sure if Ill get more 2ft long buds but IM TRYING:):)
2012-10-31_16_02_06.jpg
2012-10-22_19_27_19.jpg
2012-10-22_19_45_17.jpg

These were from my 400w HPS... The buds were the problem, as they were so big, they themselves were blocking light - So I decided to harvest in stages over a couple weeks, I removed some smaller buds from the top canopy to allow light thru, and then they grew larger and @ day 60 I pulled her.. So even if the light aint getting any further than 3ft its all good, as long as Ive got 2ft buds up top ill be happy!!
I move my light on its track, raise and lower it and with my training I allow for as much light to all the primary branches as possible.. I have a 600w HPS also, I used it for about 3 weeks last grow but Im not sure if Ill use it this time?
BUT I THANK YOU GREATLY FOR YOUR ADVICE BASS, I KNOW YOURE ONLY LOOKIN OUT FOR ME!!! If my buds are small.. I shall slap myself for not listening!! Take care buddy, Smokemup!!

True GIG.. But honestly mate, I cant run 2 light in my space.. No way, maybe some CFL's hangin free, but thats it, as the heat would be too much and also the way I grow these LST, I aint got room for a light.. If you remember with Cindy, she packed my space bro - I literally couldnt fit a run-over cat in there!!
This girl is being set out the same, and yes, I did initially rotate the pots as with my few previous ones before Cindy, but Cindy was in a rectangular pot and couldnt turn it, but now, this grow, Kiksumass is just about at the limits of width ( 4.5ft ) so shell be going to flower in about 2 weeks pending on her height. I can grow upto 7ft safely, But I think Kiksum wont get much taller than my Cindy - 6ft3 inch in her 25cm pot.. So once these primary branches start hitting over 3ft Im gunna be looking good I think?? Finger crossed.. So what, do yo think that I should hit her with the 600w from the start of flower?? I dont mind, but the globe for my 600w isnt a good brand, I dont think?? Hang on... Ahh its ok its my SON-T GRO GLOBE!! Shit, I thought my 400w was the SonT.. Hmmmm, Looks like Its the 600watter for me!! That may have explained why the buds were so big, as I used the 600w for about 3 or 4 weeks I think. AWSUMNESS:):) Thanks GIG and Bass:thumb:

Well Gig, only since joining 420, did I fully learn how to attempt an LST. I had wanted to try it, but had never had anyone who could show me and that I trust. So I followed a little of what they did, but slightly changed it, and it was that, that caused me to find out how to create over 10 primary branches from the plant, So in effect, 10 main cola;s. Each of Cindy s were over 1ft long, biggest being 63cm.. But I had 4 2ft buds and about 9 1.5ft ers, then the top canopy of buds were around say 15cm's ea.. But yeah, FRIGGIN THIEVES!! Least they left my 2ft ers..
Now The problem I have with this grow is I am totally unsure of its origins, Bagseed of good smoke is all I know, and that it may be an Indica - But she looks like a sativa a little so either way, just hope it can grow decent buds.. I am not sure if this is capable of doing more than doubling in size during flower, Ill work around double the size as a guide, I really just hope that I can get over 12 oz dry from this grow. I mean she s only into her 4th week of Veg now, so if I can keep to a 13 week grow, and she s ok to go in 2 weeks, But that also pends on her development as I want some Amber Trichs. Ill flip her with the 600W son T gro and hope I get some phat nugs again...
Thanks for your replies of late Gig, this grow hasnt gotten as much attention as with Cindy.. But I dont care I dont judge my skills on others opinions, I do what I know works - nothing more nothing less.. Ive been fairly hard on the defoliation and useless shoot removal, as Im kind of experimenting on trying to avoid the plant growing out long shoots with big spaces between nodes, And giving priority to the select ones..
I think I may end up with about 12/13 primary branches again, but if a few dont go so well, itll just be about 10.
Each day nearly Ive been taking Fans and maybe 1 or 2 shoots, I know this will slow her some, but Im trying to do most of my manipulation now before flower, but Ill probably be doing more light trimming to remove any that are blocking buds..
After each trim, I feed her Seasol to try help replace any minerals and such she may have lost during trim, I have my space covered in Mylar and I get good reflection of light from this.. I may hang a CFL in there now just until flower to help the smaller shoots grow out some more hopefully.. Ok mate well Im gunna go get me a 6500k Cfl.. Take care and chat soon bro.. Cheers again. Smokemup

Instead of cfls for side light, I wonder what would happen if you used some UFOs.

Dude, great grow. Shows how awesome a 400 watt can be. I am going to be buying one to relace my cfl lamp. I just need to save up a bit more cash. Not that important right now as they aren't in flower yet.

Hi LED:)
Well, my plants get just adequate side lighting up until full bud production. Then as they grow, I re position them with the tether points and my light moves left/right/up/down so I try to get light to different angles.
I have a cage light with a CFL i hang beside her to just add some light to the lower shoots, Ive actually just put that in today. I dont worry much about side lighting as its the main branches I worry about, as they will be my bulk weight, Ill have around 10 main cola's, possibly a couple more, and the width of some of my 2ft buds last grow was nearly 20cm in diameter, so you can understand why my focus is on these, then I have my top canopy of smaller buds. These still have a bit of weight bud wise, and they grow fairly big too, so I get a half decent of top canopy nugs too.. But yeah, This grow may not be as good, its just one of those things, if I had a better idea of strain i could research it a bit, as I did my last, C99xPR, it tends to be a rounder shape naturally with several main cola's, So it thrived on the LST - this may not like the stress as much, but im trying to give her the best opportunity.
Its just a matter of time til flower, and when I can better estimate what I may be looking at yielding. Thanks peeps:):) Chat soon, Smokemup

Back
Top Bottom