Inky black death

Earl Fug

420 Member
Growing outdoors in southern Ontario, Canada. For the second summer I have noticed black spots on leaves that seem to emanate right from first growth. At first I thought it was caterpillar afterbirth but now wondering mold/disease?

This plant is a Blueberry clone, pretty good health otherwise. I've been amputating where it happens significantly so don't know what danger it poses but starts at tip of branch and does seem to spread down slowly. I have seen this sporadically in other plants both potted and planted, but never in tent.

Anyone know wtf this is?

20210804_200624.jpg

20210804_200358.jpg

Hey Brah, thanks! I actually hadn't heard of scales before, did some googling and yeah, some barnacles at least. I think you nailed it, it's honeydew and black sooty mold. Bah. The plant is 6' and going strong, I don't think it's worth going nuclear but will do some spraying and keep the mofos under control.

(Affected plane is Blueberry on right, transplanted later than the monster on the left)

20210806_153040.jpg

I’ve seen this over the past 2 summer grows with my girls. I always thought it was just my plants changing colours because of the few nights where temps have dipped cooler than they should of during the summer months. We have had a couple upper single digit lows a few time in Southern Ontario and think the cooler night temps would sort of help trigger the colour change.

Easy way to tell if it's sooty mold, it will rub off. I don't think that's what you've got, also I don't see anything resembling honeydew or scale (but the photo is blurry). Usually if there's honeydew they'll be ants swarming all over it. That color actually looks like it's inside the plant, like when leaves purple up due to genetics or cold weather. It is a "blueberry". Hard to tell without actually having a leaf in hand. If the color rubs off, then it's a mold.

Anyone know wtf this is?
20210804_200358.jpg
Hi Earl, the picture you posted looks a lot like some plants I've grown that have that coloring in their genetics. Here's what one of mine looked like back in 2019.
Most Blueberry plants will have purple flowers at least to some degree. As the buds get more developed they may look like this:

You might be trying to fix something that isn't broken. :Namaste:

Yea thays fucked lookin but again, purpleing/blueing from genetics and or cold temps, is real, especially being in ontario haha, fuckin cold there in winter, dont sweat it, but time to light up that shed of yours;)

heres my blackberry kush auto from barneys farm
20200821_190417.jpg
20200821_190405.jpg
20200802_174442.jpg
20200731_113316.jpg
20200722_200205.jpg
20200719_162742.jpg
20200716_215011.jpg

Back
Top Bottom