JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

As promised, I'm going to perform a soil test. Handy Dandy2 is not looking too good so I'll start with it. I have four known girls right now, so if this one turns out to be a girl, I have to invest in more lights. So I'm perfectly fine experimenting with it.

Current photo of Handy Dandy2
GEDC1308.JPG

Test number one: pH. The instructions say to fill the thing to the soil line, add the capsule, then fill to the water line with water and shake. I did that, and the level dropped below the water line, so I let it develop, took a pic, then added more water to get it up to the fill line, let it develop again, and grabbed a new pic. I suppose that adding more water after it developed once might skew the results, but whatever. Nothing much changed.
GEDC1304.JPG

GEDC1306.JPG

From what I can tell, my pH is between 6.5 and 7. Please correct me if I'm not reading this right. I need to look it up, but that shouldn't be causing this much of an issue. Now I have to do the soil/water mix, let it sit, and I can get the N/P/K results. Sit tight. It shouldn't be more than an hour. This soil seems to settle quickly.

Looks like it will probably be tomorrow at this time when I reveal the results of the N/P/K tests. This shit isn't settling at all. It will, though.
GEDC1311.JPG

Now, the more I think about it, Chillin2 and Handy Dandy2 both got the exact same treatment from seed to soil(less) and Chillin2 is flowering, where Handy Dandy2 is barely hanging on. This is the soil I put them in. It was brand new.
GEDC1310.JPG

Does this type of stuff settle, to where it needs to be shaken to distribute the nutes? Could one have plenty and the other has none? If not, I might just be dealing with a bad seed. I'll find out soon enough when the test results come in.

Stay tuned. :thumb:

I'm not trying to endorse any product so I covered the brand name. Is that what I'm supposed to do, or doesn't it matter?

You can mention a product as it fits into the context of your grow. -- Just don't title your title your thread JimmieJ's First Grow with Zurpee soil unless Zurpee is a sponsor or otherwise go around recommending everyone try Zurpee soil, or link to the Zurpee website.

:420: sponsors know they have competitors, they just rightfully don't want to feel their competitors are getting free advertising when they are paying for banner ads.

LED manufacturers are the exception - If they aren't a sponsor don't name the company, do a generic despcription like "my 100x3W LED panel" is used for ...

Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

It doesn't mater much on the name Jimmie... it's more the place you bought it and whether or not they are a sponsor.... I wish I knew what to tell ya about that soil but I just don't know.... it realeases quickly and for 3 months is what it says and it is equal parts on the nutes NPK so if I were you I would just wait until I see a deficiency in something and correct with nutes starting at a very low rate and working my way up until she seems happy... With time released nutes that's about all ou can do... since 3 months seems to be about when they fizzle out... if you can afford the time I would let them veg for that long so I would have control of the flower nutes but if I didn't have that amount of time to veg I would just do my nutes at 1/4 strength and work my way up... I wish I could help more but that all I got....:thumb:....:circle-of-love:

I use my 30X and ignore my 40X - but probably because my 30X is bigger.

I first bought one of those lighted 60X-120X but I couldn't use it - even with the fans off, there is too much movement when leaning and breathing near a plant.

Thanks Rad, good to know. :high-five: I had a feeling bigger meant shakier from seeing what my new 10x one does. Too bad there's no place where you can test drive one in each power then pick the one that works best.

You can mention a product as it fits into the context of your grow. -- Just don't title your title your thread JimmieJ's First Grow with Zurpee soil unless Zurpee is a sponsor or otherwise go around recommending everyone try Zurpee soil, or link to the Zurpee website.

:420: sponsors know they have competitors, they just rightfully don't want to feel their competitors are getting free advertising when they are paying for banner ads.

LED manufacturers are the exception - If they aren't a sponsor don't name the company, do a generic despcription like "my 100x3W LED panel" is used for ...

Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

Ah ha! Thank you! You just made me realize that I included MG in my journal name and it's gone now. I never noticed it was removed, and hadn't even considered sponsors, I was just trying to describe my grow as detailed as possible when I first signed up. I tried to read the read-me-first things but just didn't get it the first time. Glad the MG is gone anyway because evidently it's not something to be using for MJ. :allgood:

It doesn't mater much on the name Jimmie... it's more the place you bought it and whether or not they are a sponsor.... I wish I knew what to tell ya about that soil but I just don't know.... it realeases quickly and for 3 months is what it says and it is equal parts on the nutes NPK so if I were you I would just wait until I see a deficiency in something and correct with nutes starting at a very low rate and working my way up until she seems happy... With time released nutes that's about all ou can do... since 3 months seems to be about when they fizzle out... if you can afford the time I would let them veg for that long so I would have control of the flower nutes but if I didn't have that amount of time to veg I would just do my nutes at 1/4 strength and work my way up... I wish I could help more but that all I got....:thumb:....:circle-of-love:

To me it looks like an N deficiency but I just don't know enough, and the other is doing fine in the exact same soil, just different seeds and pots. I'm hoping the soil test tells me. I did give it the 5-1-1 fish fertilizer last night, because I'm guessing N deficient. I think I'm on the right track though. We shall see.

Ah ha! Thank you! You just made me realize that I included MG in my journal name and it's gone now. I never noticed it was removed, and hadn't even considered sponsors, I was just trying to describe my grow as detailed as possible when I first signed up. I tried to read the read-me-first things but just didn't get it the first time. Glad the MG is gone anyway because evidently it's not something to be using for MJ. :allgood:

Which makes me wonder about soilless in the title ....

Which makes me wonder about soilless in the title ....

My limited understanding is that if it's not natural soil, just a blended growing medium out of a bag, it's considered soilless. I really didn't like using that name because I consider it soil, the same way I consider Puffs Facial Tissue just a piece of kleenex. But just learning. I'm just going to call brown shit soil from now on, whether it's in my back yard or the closet.:thumb:

From my understanding, soilless is used for a growing medium that has little or no nutritional value.

Perlite, rockwoll, vermiculite, rocks, clay pellets and I believe coco coir and peat moss are considered soilless.

Potting soil, garden dirt, compost, almost anything that looks like soil is soil.

Well then am I able to get rid of that piece, or are the editors the only ones who make those changes? Thanks for clarifying. Good night y'all.

Back
Top Bottom