JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

Wow, step aside for a day and Jimmy's thread goes to page 7.

:nicethread:

Hello RTK!

I can't get a pic at the moment because the girls are sleeping. Should I remove small lower flowers that aren't getting direct light, so that the top ones get that energy? I know that buds need direct light to get big. But does keeping the shaded ones reduce the total yield, or just make smaller buds? I prefer volume over bud size. And if it's good to remove them, can they be smoked? Opinions welcome. :thumb:

I want to show off my first clone. This is probably pure luck because I just did whatever and hoped for the best. All I did was top Chillin 1 (on 2-15), dipped the end in rooting hormone and stuck it in some bagged seedling mix or whatever I had. That was before I knew she was a girl. So imagine my double delight when Chillin 1 showed pistils (2-28 I believe) and her clone started growing (3-13). I then knew I had a new female to provide for. It's getting time to transplant her now, so I tried the trick of popping it out with a pen, and POP. Out she slid. What do I put her in now? I want the roots to do this again before the final transplant. Unless it's time for that already. I think I'll do 3 gallon nursery pots like Smokey is using. I think I need to get more lights for the veg closet to keep her happy.
GEDC1251.JPG
GEDC1252.JPG
GEDC1253.JPG
GEDC1254.JPG

I want to show off my first clone. This is probably pure luck because I just did whatever and hoped for the best. All I did was top Chillin 1 (on 2-15), dipped the end in rooting hormone and stuck it in some bagged seedling mix or whatever I had. That was before I knew she was a girl. So imagine my double delight when Chillin 1 showed pistils (2-28 I believe) and her clone started growing (3-13). I then knew I had a new female to provide for. It's getting time to transplant her now, so I tried the trick of popping it out with a pen, and POP. Out she slid. What do I put her in now? I want the roots to do this again before the final transplant. Unless it's time for that already. I think I'll do 3 gallon nursery pots like Smokey is using. I think I need to get more lights for the veg closet to keep her happy.
GEDC1251.JPG
GEDC1252.JPG
GEDC1253.JPG
GEDC1254.JPG

I also had better add that I kept her moist and under a dome. I removed the dome now and then to watch for wilting and get practice figuring out what she liked. She did wilt a lot when uncovered until the last week or so, then she took off.

I want to show off my first clone. This is probably pure luck because I just did whatever and hoped for the best. All I did was top Chillin 1 (on 2-15), dipped the end in rooting hormone and stuck it in some bagged seedling mix or whatever I had.

For direct rooting in soil, I have had my best luck with large tops. 3 for 3.

It's getting time to transplant her now, so I tried the trick of popping it out with a pen, and POP. Out she slid. What do I put her in now? I want the roots to do this again before the final transplant

GEDC1254.JPG

The ball point pen trick works great when the roots are getting thick on the bottom. If it doesn't work, it might be too early :)

I like to take a pair of scissors and cut 3-4 slices up the sides of the rootball when transplanting. This breaks up the 'mesh' of roots and forces cut roots to regrow to replace the roots cut off from the trunk. When regrowing they tend to grow long roots out into the surrounding soil instead of short new roots to supplement the existing old roots. Sot of like unburrying a snakes den forcessss the sssssnakessss to crawl off in all directions :)

What size pot should you use - a bigger one ! If you want to go final, go final. If you are willing and able to do another pot twice as big as an intermediate pot, I suspect the roots will enjoy that better.

Thanks Smoke and good night all! Lights out for Dad now. I believe I'm on 18/6 lately. Could sure use 12/12 for a few days.:cheesygrinsmiley:

I've been on 18/6 for years now. I assumed it was part of getting older.

For direct rooting in soil, I have had my best luck with large tops. 3 for 3.

The ball point pen trick works great when the roots are getting thick on the bottom. If it doesn't work, it might be too early :)

I like to take a pair of scissors and cut 3-4 slices up the sides of the rootball when transplanting. This breaks up the 'mesh' of roots and forces cut roots to regrow to replace the roots cut off from the trunk. When regrowing they tend to grow long roots out into the surrounding soil instead of short new roots to supplement the existing old roots. Sot of like unburrying a snakes den forcessss the sssssnakessss to crawl off in all directions :)

What size pot should you use - a bigger one ! If you want to go final, go final. If you are willing and able to do another pot twice as big as an intermediate pot, I suspect the roots will enjoy that better.

I've been on 18/6 for years now. I assumed it was part of getting older.

I'll try the scissors trick. I've always just picked at the roots to try and fluff them up a little when transplanting veggies. If I can trigger more root growth by cutting, I'm cutting!

I think I'll go intermediate. When she gets her final home, I want it to be in PJ soil so I don't have to mess around with nutes, but I doubt that I'll be able to get all the ingredients right away, so intermediate will hold me over.

One plant that I haven't mentioned much is Handy Dandy 2 who lives in the sparsely populated veg closet. Who would mention such a hideous beast when there are such beauties in the flower closet next door? Well, I need to pretend that I love all my children equally, so here she is. What a beaut, eh?
GEDC1267.JPG

I've felt that she had some deficiency since she went yellow on me. Plants don't have livers so that can't be it. So a week or so ago, I flushed it with sump pump water and gave it some MG to see if it would help. I didn't want to add anything else till it had a chance to dry up. If there's any chance of it coming to life, I don't want to risk killing it with root rot. Well tonight it's finally dry enough to add something.
GEDC1278.JPG

I went with fish emulsion. It's pretty darn old but the bottle wasn't bulging so I figured it wasn't going to make matters worse. One whiff of this shit told me that it's still potent. Mixed a little with a mug of sump water and poured it in.
GEDC1275.JPG

GEDC1276.JPG
GEDC1277.JPG

I like where the moisture is now. Not drenched, but has something to drink. I'll give it a couple days and decide how it's responding. Advice welcome.
GEDC1279.JPG

Now that I've shown the dark side of my first grow, here's another piece that I don't think I mentioned. I took a couple cuttings and dropped them into a small shot glass type container. They're both in there. One went almost dry one day from low water level and doesn't look promising, but until it's dead or in the way it stays. Don't even remember which plant they came from or how long it's been. I wanted to see if I could get a clone to root in plain water. One thing I noticed right away is that cuttings in water (vs. soil) don't need a dome to keep them perky, just steady water supply. I believe I'm seeing roots getting ready to pop. If I'm right, should I let them emerge, or stick into soil right away?
GEDC1265.JPG
GEDC1266.JPG

One plant that I haven't mentioned much is Handy Dandy 2 who lives in the sparsely populated veg closet. Who would mention such a hideous beast when there are such beauties in the flower closet next door? Well, I need to pretend that I love all my children equally, so here she is. What a beaut, eh?

She's gorgeous.

Or at least the homely ones try harder I've found. :)

Now that I've shown the dark side of my first grow, here's another piece that I don't think I mentioned. I took a couple cuttings and dropped them into a small shot glass type container. They're both in there. One went almost dry one day from low water level and doesn't look promising, but until it's dead or in the way it stays. Don't even remember which plant they came from or how long it's been. I wanted to see if I could get a clone to root in plain water. One thing I noticed right away is that cuttings in water (vs. soil) don't need a dome to keep them perky, just steady water supply. I believe I'm seeing roots getting ready to pop. If I'm right, should I let them emerge, or stick into soil right away?
GEDC1265.JPG
GEDC1266.JPG

Yes.

Those look like roots starting. I have no idea if they can make it. I'm pretty sure cannabis cuttings prefer infant baptism to adult baptism (sprinkles and splashes over total immersion.) I'm interested to see what happens next.

If the leaves stay looking good, I would grow the roots until at least 1.5" and maybe 3". If the leaves start going downhill, the clones will be happier in low-nutrient soil.

Yes.

Those look like roots starting. I have no idea if they can make it. I'm pretty sure cannabis cuttings prefer infant baptism to adult baptism (sprinkles and splashes over total immersion.) I'm interested to see what happens next.

If the leaves stay looking good, I would grow the roots until at least 1.5" and maybe 3". If the leaves start going downhill, the clones will be happier in low-nutrient soil.

That's the plan then. :thanks:

Speaking of low-nutrient soil - I was planning on using the soil test kit on all my plants to see where they're at. It's not as simple as I thought. I need to go 2-3" down and take samples from different spots. Do a 5:1 ratio of water:soil, then mix, let settle for 1-24 hours, and proceed with the test. For each plant. I'm nervous about going down even 2" in my flower girls since they are in smallish pots to begin with.

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go. :nomo:

Chillin1 is coming along. Very very slowly, but she's coming.
GEDC1303.JPG
GEDC1301.JPG

Today I found a 10x loupe at a local store for $3.99. It mates up to my camera somewhat, so I was able to get a few super close-ups. Chillin1 is not even slightly modest. She let me see all her goods with no protest whatsoever. As a matter of fact, she tickled my face while I was checking her out. I'm happy that I saw what I did.
GEDC1289.JPG
GEDC1294.JPG

Is 20x the best power to get in a loupe for viewing trichs? Or is bigger better? I know I have plenty of time, but want to be prepared when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom