JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

Thanks for the tips and all the warm welcomes! I actually did start my girls in the small 2-1/2" clay pots like Smokey used (it was coincidence, it's what I had), then transplanted when they had roots hanging out of the hole in the bottom. Now I wish I had taken pics of them. I used the pots to make impressions in their new containers, as was suggested to Smokey, then popped the plants out by pushing with the back of a pen, also as suggested to Smokey. Worked like a charm, and I didn't see any evidence of shock after I dropped them in. The only seed I planted directly into its pot was the boy that I terminated last night, and that was just an experiment. I didn't put much effort into him

I will definitely fill the containers all the way up next time. I want to get the nursery pots that aren't tapered down instead of these houseplant pots.

This is how Handy Dandy 1 looked directly after transplanting.

Baby_Handy_Dandy.jpg

I do have airflow, but I can find a bigger fan if need be. What do you think?
GEDC1145.JPG

Here's how Chillin2 looks this morning after doing the LST on it last night.
GEDC12261.JPG

Your fan looks good (to me at least, If I'm wrong, someone will let you know) but you want to get it blowing between the plant tops and the lights to help get rid of any heat as has been explained to me by these "most awesome" people! I'm so glad your journal is going so well! Like I said, the folks around these here parts are "most excellent"!

Your fan looks good (to me at least, If I'm wrong, someone will let you know) but you want to get it blowing between the plant tops and the lights to help get rid of any heat as has been explained to me by these "most awesome" people! I'm so glad your journal is going so well! Like I said, the folks around these here parts are "most excellent"!

Thanks Smoke! And they are most excellent! I think that today I'll experiment with moving the fan around to get as much airflow as I can. I haven't put much effort into it, but since everyone has stressed airflow, I'll make it a priority.

Thanks for the tips and all the warm welcomes! I actually did start my girls in the small 2-1/2" clay pots like Smokey used (it was coincidence, it's what I had), then transplanted when they had roots hanging out of the hole in the bottom. Now I wish I had taken pics of them. I used the pots to make impressions in their new containers, as was suggested to Smokey, then popped the plants out by pushing with the back of a pen, also as suggested to Smokey. Worked like a charm, and I didn't see any evidence of shock after I dropped them in. The only seed I planted directly into its pot was the boy that I terminated last night, and that was just an experiment. I didn't put much effort into him

Sounds like you are following a good plan.

I guess I was able to notice the difference between direct planting and transplant. I'm learning :cheer:

This is how Handy Dandy 1 looked directly after transplanting.

A great looking seedling :)

I do have airflow, but I can find a bigger fan if need be. What do you think?

The fan is fine. If you wanted more air, consider a fan that size closer to the plants.

Is this the Veg area? I saw that you had a fan in the flower area. (I need more fans in my veg area.)

Here's how Chillin2 looks this morning after doing the LST on it last night.
GEDC12261.JPG

Chilin2 looks nice. Great shape you made there.

Go ahead and remove the lower yellow leaves, they aren't adding energy and you are still in veg. Once in flower I wait until they fall off.

The girls have come a long way.
IMG_20160201_140942_734.jpg

Did you top that girl on the left? It looks like she has some branches starting above the top fan leaves. To my eyes she looks a perfect size for a pinch or fim of the leader.

The one on the right looks ready too. Can you get close-ups of the tops?

This reminds me - I want to mention that they get supplemental sunlight whenever the sun is out and I'm home to move them with the sun.
IMG_20160308_130756_039.jpg

You're a good parent :grinjoint:

Sounds like you are following a good plan.

I guess I was able to notice the difference between direct planting and transplant. I'm learning :cheer:

A great looking seedling :)

The fan is fine. If you wanted more air, consider a fan that size closer to the plants.

Is this the Veg area? I saw that you had a fan in the flower area. (I need more fans in my veg area.)

Chilin2 looks nice. Great shape you made there.

Go ahead and remove the lower yellow leaves, they aren't adding energy and you are still in veg. Once in flower I wait until they fall off.

This is the flower area. The veg area also has a clip on fan but I didn't take any pics of it. Chillin2 is still vegging, but I have it in the flower area because I want to see what happens when a plant is vegged in 12/12.

Did you top that girl on the left? It looks like she has some branches starting above the top fan leaves. To my eyes she looks a perfect size for a pinch or fim of the leader.

The one on the right looks ready too. Can you get close-ups of the tops?

You're a good parent :grinjoint:

Thanks! I should have mentioned - the two top pics are my flowering girls in their younger days. They've been topped and LSTd.

Thanks! I should have mentioned - the two top pics are my flowering girls in their younger days. They've been topped and LSTd.

No problem. We are all playing catch-up here.

If you didn't say it directly, you heavily implied it by saying they have come a long way. And I should have noticed the pots. :loopy:

I'm all over the place this morning. Amazing how chatty I can be when avoiding doing taxes :)

This girl could go into flower in a few days if left under 12/12.

It's been there for a week now. I moved most of my lights into the flower closet so I had to make a decision. Whatever happens, I'm ok with it because I have a girl clone in the veg closet if this one fails. What do think might happen if it went into flower, being so light on foliage?

That's funny Rad... I'm playing the same avoidance game...:biglaugh:
You certainly have a green thump... all I can add here is to agree with Rad and if you can get another little fan like that one... some exact ones I use... and let them blow directly on your girls... it will really help to sturdy them up to be able to hold some heavy nuglets...:;):...:circle-of-love:

That's funny Rad... I'm playing the same avoidance game...:biglaugh:
You certainly have a green thump... all I can add here is to agree with Rad and if you can get another little fan like that one... some exact ones I use... and let them blow directly on your girls... it will really help to sturdy them up to be able to hold some heavy nuglets...:;):...:circle-of-love:

Thanks Dennise - I am hoping for some nuglets! I've got a dilemma. The best way that I can think of to get more airflow would be to aim a fan directly at the plants. I have the grow area closed off though. I put a white washing machine pan in front of the plants to help reflect the light back at them. If I removed it to put a fan there, the airflow would be great. Do you think I'd lose enough light to make a difference by doing that?

1st pic is with the pan in place, second without.

GEDC12341.JPG
GEDC12351.JPG

Thanks Dennise, I didn't know what the rule was, After 3 more posts Jimmie, you'll have access to PM's according to your name. It's no big deal or nothing. You'll have access to your PM's soon.

Smokey

I didn't even know I had any messages till a few minutes ago. I just brought out my old laptop to use so I can keep everything 420 related on the laptop and not on my main pc that someone could potentially access. Well that was a project. I had to update my virus scanner, upgrade my browser, install my VPN software. Then like an idiot, I didn't write down my password and I couldn't remember it so had to reset it. And on and on. Well that's all done and I'm up and running. It's great to know that I'm close to being able to PM. Is there a way to access them outside of email? I have looked all over the place. Maybe it's right in front of me and I'm just not seeing it.

I didn't even know I had any messages till a few minutes ago. I just brought out my old laptop to use so I can keep everything 420 related on the laptop and not on my main pc that someone could potentially access. Well that was a project. I had to update my virus scanner, upgrade my browser, install my VPN software. Then like an idiot, I didn't write down my password and I couldn't remember it so had to reset it. And on and on. Well that's all done and I'm up and running. It's great to know that I'm close to being able to PM. Is there a way to access them outside of email? I have looked all over the place. Maybe it's right in front of me and I'm just not seeing it.

I'm not the best person to answer, but the only way I know of is to go to:
https://www.420magazine.com/community/conversations/
while logged in. But I'm sure there is a better way.

Back
Top Bottom