JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

Looks like you were getting a root structure going... I would advise from seeing them that you root in your solo cup or what ever... small pot then pot up to a 1 gallon veg pot and let her build a strong root system before planting her up to her final pot ~ 5 gallons or whatever you are going to use... the better your root system = the better your buds.... make sure you water well... until you have a bit of run off and then let her get pretty dry before rewatering... This causes your roots to have to search around for water instead of growing straight down... you want them to circle the pot looking for water... I'm sure you know all of this I just like to hear myself type...:;):...:circle-of-love:

Well, I have the watering down. I got that early on from my experience with houseplants and veggies, and the specific advice given to Smokey about MJ's watering preferences. And you can repeat it all you want because someone who views this journal may be helped by it.

My current girls are probably root bound but at this point, I'm not sure I should re-pot them because I'm seeing daily progress with their flowers. If you say I should, though, I will compromise and re-pot one of them and compare results.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read my posts and provide your input. Last night at this time I was only hoping that I could get a journal up and that someone who Smokey respects would chime in.

What ya are doin is a great thing Jim. Experimenting, gettin the feel of a plant, testing and realizing its limits. Now I definitely wouldnt bend a plant that much.. But, you now see the flexibility and resilience of this fine plant. Diggin in the root system is also a good thing. it gives ya an idea as to how the "basement machine" works. Keep curious, keep learning. You are definitely 100% in the right direction. :thumb: :high-five:

Appreciate the confidence. Looking forward to great things going forward. I wouldn't bend a plant that much either... but he was a goner anyway so had nothing to lose. It never did snap. :blushsmile:

Oh no if they are in bloom definitly do not repot them... That would be entirely tooooo much stress on them... I was just talking in general and in the future to make sure you are getting a good root ball... it would not only stress them it would slow them down considerably and at this point I doubt you want that to happen....:goodjob: Good night my friend and a really good start you got going on here... I'm very happy to meet you...:Namaste:....:circle-of-love:

Also remember any time you are going to do LST or any kind of training that your girl has been watered really well so the stem will be as flexible as possible and it will keep it from snapping so easily...:high-five:....:circle-of-love:

Great tip. Thanks again. I did some LST on Chillin 2 today. It's sleeping in the 12/12 closet so I can't show it tonight, but would like input on my LST/SCROG contraption that I came up with. I wrapped bare copper wire around the container as an anchor, then ran twist-tie material (that comes on a roll) across it into a grid. Now I can manipulate the growth as I see fit. Does this qualify as a LST/SCROG hybrid?

GEDC11301.JPG

Oh no if they are in bloom definitly do not repot them... That would be entirely tooooo much stress on them... I was just talking in general and in the future to make sure you are getting a good root ball... it would not only stress them it would slow them down considerably and at this point I doubt you want that to happen....:goodjob: Good night my friend and a really good start you got going on here... I'm very happy to meet you...:Namaste:....:circle-of-love:

Thanks and quite happy to meet you as well. Till tomorrow.

Man ya got some heavy hitters in here Jimmy! Smoke, Dennise, RTK. Niceeeeee. Ya sorry that last post of mine was seemingly blunt.. My dog had to jump on my lap and I hit the mouse and it sent before I was finished. :cheesygrinsmiley: Ya got yaself surrounded by some excellent people my friend! :high-five: Lets get this growin! :thumb:

I'm nobody special, but I appreciate the thought. I just logged on real quick to see how's it's going for Jimmie before I lay back down (precautionary ONLY!) and saw this post. It's nice, but I'm still a newb and proud of it (But I love to learn stuff) until I have learned for a lot longer. I'm just glad you all are helping Jimmie out too. STIHL, your name belongs on that list! Jimmie, I'll talk to you tomorrow, but listen to these guys, They are worthy!:Namaste:

That's awesome... keep in mind that the reason you are doing this is not only to keep your girls low but to open them up to the lights so keep that in mind when you are deciding which way to bend them... the center needs light too... great job...:goodjob:...:circle-of-love:

I've been working towards that outcome but they grow so fast. I wonder if I've kept my girls too low and now they're too bushy. I have to balance the light I have with their needs. But this can wait. I never did hit my recliner and the dog is barking to go outside. You all have made my day. Week. :thanks:

Subscribed Jimmie :love:

Look at you growing like a pro :high-five:

You, your plants & your journal is growing great :bravo:

:circle-of-love::cco::circle-of-love:

Since I didn't have the ideal soil mix that you did, I knew I'd need nutes. I know from vegetables and houseplants that less is more so I've been following the guidelines for feeding at every watering, only I've been feeding every other watering. I water the way you do, slowly but surely until water comes out of the bottom. I let it settle then dump the water in the tray back in. I use a moisture meter to know when they're thirsty.

The one with two probes supposedly measures pH but I haven't worried about that yet since they're healthy so far, and since you're not doing it. I like it for the light meter. I picked up the one with one probe because I misplaced the other one a few years ago. It was around $5 at the garden center and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to check water levels without touching the soil or lifting the pots.

meters.JPG

I'll keep my eyes out for one of the single probe water level testers. I get so tired of the two probes getting sprung and needing straightening when all I want is a moisture sensor. They should have the garden centers open in a couple of months. Freezing rain here yesterday. Snow predicted for Sunday night, but it looks like it will miss us and hit Rhode Island and the cape.

Great tip. Thanks again. I did some LST on Chillin 2 today. It's sleeping in the 12/12 closet so I can't show it tonight, but would like input on my LST/SCROG contraption that I came up with. I wrapped bare copper wire around the container as an anchor, then ran twist-tie material (that comes on a roll) across it into a grid. Now I can manipulate the growth as I see fit. Does this qualify as a LST/SCROG hybrid?

GEDC11301.JPG

Subscribed.. Thanks for letting us watch your grow.

The ties you set up are good.

Next time you plant, I would follow Dennise's suggestion and start in a solo cup, or other small pot, for 2-4 weeks to help develop strong roots. Roots on your boy looked OK -healthy - yet not quite as many roots as you want to see on a big boy like that. As far as I can tell, better roots means better harvests, so giving them time in elementary school before they go to high school is a head start in life.

I'd also advise you to fill your pots a lot closer to the rim, 1/2" or less is good. With less of a well, airflow is better, there is more space for roots and less protection for white flies, fungus gnats and other annoying bugs. I would not add more soil now, but I would use more soil next time around.

Speaking of airflow, do you have a fan in the veg area as well as the flower area? Cannabis likes moving air during all stages of light.

Welcome again to :420: You are off to a great start :welcome:

I'll keep my eyes out for one of the single probe water level testers. I get so tired of the two probes getting sprung and needing straightening when all I want is a moisture sensor. They should have the garden centers open in a couple of months. Freezing rain here yesterday. Snow predicted for Sunday night, but it looks like it will miss us and hit Rhode Island and the cape.

I prefer the single probe also. Since I got it, I've only used the two probed unit for its light sensor. Snow. Ugh - just to remind everyone, today is the last day of winter. :cheer:

Subscribed.. Thanks for letting us watch your grow.

The ties you set up are good.

Next time you plant, I would follow Dennise's suggestion and start in a solo cup, or other small pot, for 2-4 weeks to help develop strong roots. Roots on your boy looked OK -healthy - yet not quite as many roots as you want to see on a big boy like that. As far as I can tell, better roots means better harvests, so giving them time in elementary school before they go to high school is a head start in life.

I'd also advise you to fill your pots a lot closer to the rim, 1/2" or less is good. With less of a well, airflow is better, there is more space for roots and less protection for white flies, fungus gnats and other annoying bugs. I would not add more soil now, but I would use more soil next time around.

Speaking of airflow, do you have a fan in the veg area as well as the flower area? Cannabis likes moving air during all stages of light.

Welcome again to :420: You are off to a great start :welcome:

Thanks for the tips and all the warm welcomes! I actually did start my girls in the small 2-1/2" clay pots like Smokey used (it was coincidence, it's what I had), then transplanted when they had roots hanging out of the hole in the bottom. Now I wish I had taken pics of them. I used the pots to make impressions in their new containers, as was suggested to Smokey, then popped the plants out by pushing with the back of a pen, also as suggested to Smokey. Worked like a charm, and I didn't see any evidence of shock after I dropped them in. The only seed I planted directly into its pot was the boy that I terminated last night, and that was just an experiment. I didn't put much effort into him

I will definitely fill the containers all the way up next time. I want to get the nursery pots that aren't tapered down instead of these houseplant pots.

This is how Handy Dandy 1 looked directly after transplanting.

Baby_Handy_Dandy.jpg

I do have airflow, but I can find a bigger fan if need be. What do you think?
GEDC1145.JPG

Here's how Chillin2 looks this morning after doing the LST on it last night.
GEDC12261.JPG

Back
Top Bottom