Jon’s 3 Autoflower - 3 Pounds Attempt Grow

Wow so you’re only .4 of an ounce away from a pound! .4! That’s a bud!
Hey Jon, you ok Mucker?
What's going on?
Message me. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill

Infrastructure Work

Found a better piece to separate water from coco. This was rather tedious.

D87A4FD4-F2F6-4521-99FF-651CB3476B77.jpeg

526B5125-3580-451D-8334-7C3D09E0B4D9.jpeg

More Infrastructure Work

Ok, the pot is done for the water project. The holes in the bottom pot are 7/8” (biggest bit I had). These should allow for easy water exchange so the whole tote will be the water essentially. The air rock goes inside the pot, a second line (pump has a splitter) goes into the res outside the pot to keep that airated. Coco on top then a smaller pot, pyramid style, on top of that. If I’m lucky enough to make this work, the roots will be able to leave the pot and extend into the tote if they get that far. The cover will be complete and keep it dark.

FE934060-7B4E-40FA-9372-75236B22F071.jpeg

DD5452F7-3654-4190-BBF3-2BB6B33E4EE0.jpeg

DEA2546F-2874-4517-85A6-91511AB91CD4.jpeg

4642DE00-2E28-44F4-8FAC-E186E336315D.jpeg

More Infrastructure Work

Ok, the pot is done for the water project. The holes in the bottom pot are 7/8” (biggest bit I had). These should allow for easy water exchange so the whole tote will be the water essentially. The air rock goes inside the pot, a second line (pump has a splitter) goes into the res outside the pot to keep that airated. Coco on top then a smaller pot, pyramid style, on top of that. I
Nice design, there @Jon ! I'm looking forward to watching your progress. :popcorn:

If I’m lucky enough to make this work, the roots will be able to leave the pot and extend into the tote if they get that far.
Oh, they'll get that far. I started experimenting with SIPS a few months ago and am now converting all of my plants over to them, the results have been that good. I started out putting my nutes in the reservoir which worked great for a while but now my first and largest plant is showing some deficiencies so I top dressed and fertigated from the top and things seem to be improving. Makes me wonder if the water roots are just that and the upper feeder roots are the ones supplying most of the nutes to the plant.

The root growth is pretty robust so I have no doubt you'll fill the whole thing. Like in soil, I find letting the reservoir go dry for a day or two encourages new root growth both from the soil as well as in the reservoir itself.

Nice design, there @Jon ! I'm looking forward to watching your progress. :popcorn:

Oh, they'll get that far. I started experimenting with SIPS a few months ago and am now converting all of my plants over to them, the results have been that good. I started out putting my nutes in the reservoir which worked great for a while but now my first and largest plant is showing some deficiencies so I top dressed and fertigated from the top and things seem to be improving. Makes me wonder if the water roots are just that and the upper feeder roots are the ones supplying most of the nutes to the plant.

The root growth is pretty robust so I have no doubt you'll fill the whole thing. Like in soil, I find letting the reservoir go dry for a day or two encourages new root growth both from the soil as well as in the reservoir itself.
Thanks so much @Azimuth! Feel free to continue holding my hand!

Banana Sherbet attempt #2 hit the coco this morning. I let this one get a longer tap root first, about 3/4”. See if that helps. I need this girl to pop strong!

Further Infrastructure Work

FYI - if you’ve never tried to cut a circle out of the top of a heavy black tote, I’ll tell you that you need an electric tool to do it, it’s way too hard for a blade knife or something. So I included pictures of the tool I used. If you’re not a construction person you may not have one of these, but if you happen to, they made cutting it a breeze. 1 minute is all it took! I was fairly accurate. Small gap on the one side, I’ll use that for the hoses and cover the difference with something. Not a bad first ever try at this.

0B941FCA-2B26-48A1-BEE2-5E0A9F4FAC38.jpeg

A5C935B8-7DDC-4E41-9ECC-3D3EF170F5E2.jpeg

40AF5BD8-BC66-4076-91BE-E5DA868BC667.jpeg

5215735D-D7C6-4543-BEF3-E17ADB1C2FE7.jpeg

FYI - if you’ve never tried to cut a circle out of the top of a heavy black tote, I’ll tell you that you need an electric tool to do it, it’s way too hard for a blade knife or something.
I use a jig saw with a 'metal cutting' blade. It can make a nice, smooth cut and it's designed to cut curves. For thinner and more malleable plastics like bucket covers and drainage pipe, a pair of left curved tin snips (for right handed people) works pretty well.

I use a jig saw with a 'metal cutting' blade. It can make a nice, smooth cut and it's designed to cut curves. For thinner and more malleable plastics like bucket covers and drainage pipe, a pair of left curved tin snips (for right handed people) works pretty well.
Damn Azi you’re just full of tricks aren’t you? Thanks!

Yes an oscillating multi-tool! I got one last year when I was redoing my bathroom and they're incredibly useful. Not sure why they call it a multi-tool since it basically only does one thing, but it does it well. The harder the substance you're trying to cut the easier you should push into it, the oscillations let you chew through pretty much anything I've come across. Here's how my projects usually go - buy all the tools I could possibly need and then maybe work on the project :yahoo: I'm pretty much all cordless these days, all Makita or whatever they're called now. That way the batteries are interchangeable. These days you buy a cordless tool for $100 and then find out you also need a battery and charger for $150.

Damn Azi you’re just full of tricks aren’t you? Thanks!
Hey, you asked.

Well, actually you didn't and I just lobbed it over the fence at you. But still could be useful. Maybe?

Here's another one. When you are making holes in plastic with a drill bit, run the drill in reverse. Makes for a cleaner hole with less ripping of material.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom