Jon's First Outdoor Grow: Sugar Breath Photoperiod & Strawberry Banana Autoflower

Apple Blossom
Grow Day 117
Flower Day 57

Mixed it up a little with the picture selection for you guys today, or tried at least, lol. She's so damn close now. The buds are tight and dense and rock hard. It's funny, I felt them today....they look so soft and pillowy, with that soft look I love so much, but when you put your fingers around the buds they're like rocks. It's amazing. Based on the feel test, these buds are ready.

Based on the how do they look test they're painfully close.
Another day or two? I'm going to say I'll harvest this girl on day 59, two days from now. Based on the speed of the trichome window, I can't see her lasting longer. I'm tempted to take her today but I think the buds will tighten up in terms of looking "finished" just a bit more. 48 hours. Ish. I'm guessing.

Based on the level of cannibalism test the plant is ready.
Or do y'all want me to wait until we have buds in a complete sea of yellow leaves? Lol.

Based on the trichome test, she's again very very close. I want around 10% overall amber for this girl. We're not there yet, but likely will be in 48 hours.

Based on the Jon's done with this plant test she's past ready.

:rofl:

Here are some bud shots and some trichome pics. Note the real green, real frosty, little budlet picture - that is the farfiest bud I could find to picture, and there are not too many buds like this for a change, lol)

Cool overhead shot of pair of buds looking pretty done.jpg

Solo bud looking pretty done.jpg

Pair looking pretty done.jpg

Quintet of buds looking pretty done.jpg

Group shot everyone smile.jpg

Flarfiest bud I could find looking pretty frosty.jpg

Trichome 1 almost done.jpg

Trichome 2 almsot done.jpg

Trichome 3 almost done.jpg

Morning Jon! She looks ready to me, anxious to hear how she smokes. NASC didn't want to just give me the Strawberry Pie seeds but they did give me a 25% discount so I kept them. Strawberry Banana seeds should arrive any day now.

Perhaps in the indoor/outdoor comparison the depth of the roots matters? Maybe an outdoor plant can tap cooler water underground than plants indoors have access to? Other than that no idea lol... have a great day!

They look full and pistils look crinkly, maybe a day with those trichome shots-at least for me. Beautiful plant. Can't wait to see buds!

Morning Jon! She looks ready to me, anxious to hear how she smokes. NASC didn't want to just give me the Strawberry Pie seeds but they did give me a 25% discount so I kept them. Strawberry Banana seeds should arrive any day now.

Perhaps in the indoor/outdoor comparison the depth of the roots matters? Maybe an outdoor plant can tap cooler water underground than plants indoors have access to? Other than that no idea lol... have a great day!
What a great guess that is. I wouldn't have thought of that. Nice call, maybe? And you too! Let's get some momentum heading into a harvest weekend!!

They look full and pistils look crinkly, maybe a day with those trichome shots-at least for me. Beautiful plant. Can't wait to see buds!
Gracias Krissi - yeah, we're about on the same page. She's about ready!!! Finally!!! I hate the watching paint dry part. Lol. I'm so spoiled. I say finally. It's been 57 days. Lmao.

Gracias Krissi - yeah, we're about on the same page. She's about ready!!! Finally!!! I hate the watching paint dry part. Lol. I'm so spoiled. I say finally. It's been 57 days. Lmao.
:rofl: the torture of less than 2 months of flower! As if you are short handed on bud or plants! Gonna be one heck of a harvest that's for sure. Get those trim fingers ready! Do you wet or dry trim? I always do wet but people have been hinting I should do dry. I just don't like battling with the leaves once they're stuck on there. Just curious

:rofl: the torture of less than 2 months of flower! As if you are short handed on bud or plants! Gonna be one heck of a harvest that's for sure. Get those trim fingers ready! Do you wet or dry trim? I always do wet but people have been hinting I should do dry. I just don't like battling with the leaves once they're stuck on there. Just curious
I prefer to trim dry. Those "stuck" leaves you're referring to, I believe, help keep sugars and good stuff in the buds during the dry, and I think buds dried with the leaves all curled around them at the end of the dry is a good thing in terms of the finished flavor. Not sure if anyone else feels this way. Also, the way I trim, stuck leaves are more easily removed when they're dry. I use a "rolling" method of trimming where I take a bud, roll it around by the stem as I take all the real, actual, fully formed and dried sugar leaves, then I go back and clean it up. But on the initial "roll," I use the tip of the scissors to "pry" up that stuck leaf and get it by it's base. It's quick and easy once you get the hang of it. All that said, I also usually wet trim one branch of buds (as I will for the Apple Blossom) so that I can see the difference in drying time. That's part of how I make the assessment, having compared them on the same plant/dry. The ones with the leaves on dry slower, and end up tasting better. But you can test the wet trimmed branch before the others, Lol.

I prefer to trim dry. Those "stuck" leaves you're referring to, I believe, help keep sugars and good stuff in the buds during the dry, and I think buds dried with the leaves all curled around them at the end of the dry is a good thing in terms of the finished flavor. Not sure if anyone else feels this way. Also, the way I trim, stuck leaves are more easily removed when they're dry. I use a "rolling" method of trimming where I take a bud, roll it around by the stem as I take all the real, actual, fully formed and dried sugar leaves, then I go back and clean it up. But on the initial "roll," I use the tip of the scissors to "pry" up that stuck leaf and get it by it's base. It's quick and easy once you get the hang of it. All that said, I also usually wet trim one branch of buds (as I will for the Apple Blossom) so that I can see the difference in drying time. That's part of how I make the assessment, having compared them on the same plant/dry. The ones with the leaves on dry slower, and end up tasting better. But you can test the wet trimmed branch before the others, Lol.
:thanks:

I was always under the assumption that leaving sugar leaves on to any extent would make for a harsh smoke. If I am under the wrong assumption or have been reading false info, lmk. I want to make trimming easier for me!

I was always under the assumption that leaving sugar leaves on to any extent would make for a harsh smoke. If I am under the wrong assumption or have been reading false info, lmk. I want to make trimming easier for me!
I'm not one to say you have been getting or reading bad information. I think what we're talking about is a matter of personal preference. I know plenty who wet trim and find it easier. Try wet trimming half a plant and not wet trimming the other half, wait til it is dry with the stuck leaves and compare the taste. You tell me if it makes a difference. My experience is that the leaves help, not hurt.

I'm not one to say you have been getting or reading bad information. I think what we're talking about is a matter of personal preference. I know plenty who wet trim and find it easier. Try wet trimming half a plant and not wet trimming the other half, wait til it is dry with the stuck leaves and compare the taste. You tell me if it makes a difference. My experience is that the leaves help, not hurt.
Will do thanks bud, I appreciate you

btw - here's a trimming tip: I guess you probably didn't play little league baseball, but if you had, you would have had a coach who would have been constantly telling you to "choke up" on the bat. You know what I mean?

Well, when trimming, for fine work, you can choke up on your scissors too.

Heh. It helps.

btw - here's a trimming tip: I guess you probably didn't play little league baseball, but if you had, you would have had a coach who would have been constantly telling you to "choke up" on the bat. You know what I mean?

Well, when trimming, for fine work, you can choke up on your scissors too.

Heh. It helps.
What makes you think I didn't play little league?! I mean soccer players always played more than just soccer earlier on! My dad was a pitcher, I played that and SS. Softball but...I wish I could post a video here...my son has a tee ball set and we have been teaching him since last year. He's 27 months now and you should see his form-especially his grip. Should have heard me yesterday when we were playing, my neighbors were probably like man, she's rough...I said come on buddy, your stance is all off, step back from the plate, elbow out, choke that bat :rofl:

nobody has yet explained in detail WHY this is so
So why can they take it from the sun?
Evolution. You might be able to breed an indoor only variety that will take 2000ppfd from an LED, but you might not. Evolution has produced plants that live outside, and all indoor growers can do is try to mimic that asbestos they can without burning the leaves not designed for lights 18" away.

Also, cannabis plants don't need all the ppfd the sun provides, but they handle it just fine, because (all together now) evolution.

If you believe in that "theory" I mean. ;)
I just don't like battling with the leaves once they're stuck on there.
Me neeths! It's just one of the reasons I wet trim. Bugs and rot are the others.
I was always under the assumption that leaving sugar leaves on to any extent would make for a harsh smoke.
Sugar leaves have a higher chlorophyl:trichome ration than calyxes, so that might account for your assumption!
I said come on buddy, your stance is all off, step back from the plate, elbow out, choke that bat
Just please don't let him listen to coaches who tell him to throw his hands at the ball or squish the bug. :) Professional baseball players don't do either!

Evolution. You might be able to breed an indoor only variety that will take 2000ppfd from an LED, but you might not. Evolution has produced plants that live outside, and all indoor growers can do is try to mimic that asbestos they can without burning the leaves not designed for lights 18" away.

Also, cannabis plants don't need all the ppfd the sun provides, but they handle it just fine, because (all together now) evolution.

If you believe in that "theory" I mean. ;)

Me neeths! It's just one of the reasons I wet trim. Bugs and rot are the others.

Sugar leaves have a higher chlorophyl:trichome ration than calyxes, so that might account for your assumption!

Just please don't let him listen to coaches who tell him to throw his hands at the ball or squish the bug. :) Professional baseball players hit rotationally, not linearly.
To not believe in evolution is to believe the earth is flat.

Thanks. That's the best answer yet.

What makes you think I didn't play little league?! I mean soccer players always played more than just soccer earlier on! My dad was a pitcher, I played that and SS. Softball but...I wish I could post a video here...my son has a tee ball set and we have been teaching him since last year. He's 27 months now and you should see his form-especially his grip. Should have heard me yesterday when we were playing, my neighbors were probably like man, she's rough...I said come on buddy, your stance is all off, step back from the plate, elbow out, choke that bat :rofl:
You're right, how sexist of me. Sorry.

Many old timers use to swear by not trimming any leaves until they are ready to cure or something along those lines.
A lot of these folks also grew tobacco and hanged their plants in between their tobacco plants.

Some folks just hanged their harvested plants high in their hay lofts too, which I am contemplating this season.

Last season I lost a decent amount of bud due to not braking down larger nugs during initial drying.
(note there were a lot of variables leading to the losses)

Many old timers use to swear by not trimming any leaves until they are ready to cure or something along those lines.
A lot of these folks also grew tobacco and hanged their plants in between their tobacco plants.

Some folks just hanged their harvested plants high in their hay lofts too, which I am contemplating this season.

Last season I lost a decent amount of bud due to not braking down larger nugs during initial drying.
(note there were a lot of variables leading to the losses)
Yup, my point exactly. Where I grew up guys filled corn fields. They'd plant each plant at the base of a corn stalk not long after the corn was up. They grow at about the same rate - fast. The corn completely hides the pot plants. I've seen guys walk around a corn field for an hour trying to find their grow. This is all taking place in someone else's cornfields, by the way, lmao. Stealthy, often nighttime operations. One time me and a buddy went looking for a dude we hated's grow to snag some of it (yes, that was a scum thing to do), and we found it a day after he harvested. We found stem cut after stem cut, at the base, tied to stalk after stalk of corn. We were all bummed cuz we missed it, and started walking out of the field down the rows. When we got out, we were literally covered in buds. It seems dude must have gone in at night, cut a bunch of plants at the base, thrown them over his shoulder, and walked out with pile after pile. In doing so, many many buds had sloughed off and were stuck in the corn leaves at shoulder level. We never saw them. But as we walked and brushed plants, the buds fell off the corn and onto our shirts. We left with a couple ounces of shirt bud apiece. Lmao!

Yes, I have learned when it's important to break down big buds and colas. I almost always do it now just to be on the safe side.

How do you break down big colas? Break them in half? I've never heard of that. I'm a lazy grower, all my buds have their sugar leaves. That's enough work for me just getting to that point!
How is it possible you never have? Do you just jar up your gigantic colas as is? To answer your question, what I meant and what I do is take the buds off the stems and separate them out into individual buds. A cola is rarely "one bud." It's a whole bunch of buds grown together into one giant bud. But if you trim it down, then start at the bottom along the base of the stem of the cola, and work your way up that stem, cutting off each horizontal shoot that comes off that main bud stem - those are all individual buds. You'd be surprised how many individual buds you find a big cola is actually made up of when you break them down. And as FR said, it's mostly something you'd do to mitigate mold and bud rot. It can also be used to accelerate the drying process. Once you harvest a few big colas and find they have bud rot you hadn't even seen inside the biggest buds that easily could have been avoided by separating the cola into it's constituent parts, you'll begin to do it as a matter of course. Too easy to not take the chance. Once you get your pictures, why keep a gigantic cola lying around? Pain in the ass to fit in a jar to dry, to store, etc.

I systematically break down the clusters of buds as I work through the drying process. I keep a lot of the "twiggage" attached to the buds as I process from hang drying to the snap but not break point, to the paper bag stage. There is a lot of moisture still in the twiggage, so it helps slow down the drying process just by being there. As I watch the product slowly dry in the paper sack for several days, at least once a day I dump it into a shallow box under a ceiling fan to help with the drying, and during that half hour to hour session, I get in there with a scissors, and start to separate the clumps while steadily reducing the amount of twiggage. As the product dries the buds pull back a bit from the stem to make it easier to get in there and separate them, and the more budlets that can be trimmed off the base of a large cola, the more of the base stem (and moisture) can also be trimmed away. When the product dries to the point that it looks like it can go into a jar, invariably it still isn't quite dry enough to be in the cure zone, so I do the box thing again, each time whittling down the big buds a bit more. By the time the product is in the cure zone there should not be any more large buds in the jar and each bud should be of a more or less a uniform size. The jar can be shaken and clumping while curing can be managed. The other big advantage for me is that by getting in there with my hands, working with the new product to get it to the cure stage, I don't need a hygrometer until I get them in the curing jars. I can tell by feel when the budlets are getting crispy and approaching the curing stage. The more effort you put into this, the better your buds will get.
:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom