Jon's First Outdoor Grow: Sugar Breath Photoperiod & Strawberry Banana Autoflower

Thanks, and then do it is great, but it doesn't exactly express your opinion. Got one? What would you do?
That wasn't clear? If you think there's never been a situation that would be more beneficial in terms of a partial harvest then why not do it?

Personally I don't do partial harvests because no one at my house cares if one part of the plant is more or less ripe, nor do I need to allow lower buds to bulk up because there aren't any. ;)
I'll take the other side of Shed's bet and think they'll be fine without going into flower.
It really depends on when it's capable of flowering. The longer it goes without reaching maturity the better the odds it won't flower.

@Azimuth, you are referring to the accidental plant. I think that's a perfect idea/experiment. I'll give her a home for now with the dirt she's in and Sohum as I described before and put her on the back porch so she at least gets better light than this spot. Here she's shaded for 2/3 of her light hours. Out back it's more like 20%. But same hours of light, so why not? I can put her in the yard under the trees but in front of them to max her good light and maintain the stealth and just leave her alone right there? Or do you think it's a cooler experiment to leave her there? (Problem there is it's right in the front yard and has no blockage from the sidewalk view a mere 40 feet away)
Awesome! Now Shed and I will have to agree on the wager. :idea:

I think the experiment is whether or not it goes into flower and then re-vegges or not. So, keep it outside, but treat her the best way possible given lighting and security concerns. Increasing the quality of light shouldn't matter to the experiment but it will be beneficial to the plant.

Worst case is that both Shed is right and it turns out male. :confused:

It really depends on when it's capable of flowering. The longer it goes without reaching maturity the better the odds it won't flower
True, but it should be mature long before the summer solstice in June. Although I agree that the longer it takes to mature the longer the days get and the less temptation the plant will have to flower.

Although, this is probably as robust a test as one could ask for, it being early February and all.

That wasn't clear? If you think there's never been a situation that would be more beneficial in terms of a partial harvest then why not do it?

Personally I don't do partial harvests because no one at my house cares if one part of the plant is more or less ripe, nor do I need to allow lower buds to bulk up because there aren't any. ;)

It really depends on when it's capable of flowering. The longer it goes without reaching maturity the better the odds it won't flower.
??? But you are the person who educated me to it? I swore I saw yours before. I must be wrong, you obviously know what you do. But I am sure I got over my hesitation to do it cuz of a conversation with you. So I guess I just assumed you did it. Ok. Fair enough. Sorry for the inaccurate assertions.

It's still a good experiment and then we'll know how it applies to cannabis.
All I know is that here in Florida, now it's 13/11. Tomorrow it'll be 13.1/10.9. Etc. The days are getting longer here now it seems, or at least holding steady. She certainly will not go into flower if I don't change anything. She'll just veg for as long as I watch her. That's my bet and my guess. I think to get her to flower I would need less than 13/11. From now forward that does not exist. We'll see, I'll do it.

??? But you are the person who educated me to it? I swore I saw yours before. I must be wrong, you obviously know what you do. But I am sure I got over my hesitation to do it cuz of a conversation with you. So I guess I just assumed you did it. Ok. Fair enough. Sorry for the inaccurate assertions.
I did recommend it based on our conversation, I just don't do it.

I think my second ever harvest was staggered if that helps!
All I know is that here in Florida, now it's 13/11. Tomorrow it'll be 13.1/10.9. Etc. The days are getting longer here now it seems, or at least holding steady. She certainly will not go into flower if I don't change anything. She'll just veg for as long as I watch her. That's my bet and my guess. I think to get her to flower I would need less than 13/11. From now forward that does not exist. We'll see, I'll do it.
The days are getting longer but Florida isn't getting 13 hours of daylight.

New Zealand is though!

I did recommend it based on our conversation, I just don't do it.

I think my second ever harvest was staggered if that helps!

New Zealand is though!

Well, that depends. Here's a screenshot of the weather app from right now for where I live. As you can see, from sunrise to sunset is 11 hours and 46 minutes if my math is right. Based on the official hours of sunrise and sunset you're correct, and duh, it's before the solstice, of course they aren't getting 13/11 based on this. I never asserted that. What I said in the post that started this was that I think the plant begins to perceive light and "wakes up" both before and after, ie, goes to sleep after sunset. She still has usable light at 6:18. The sun sets where she is. She gets the waning sun right on her until around 7:30. While that may be after "official" sunset as the app clearly shows, I'm asserting that's not what time the plant goes to sleep. I have estimated her usable light time at 13/11. I think she's awake from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm, ie 13 hours. I also said I could easily be wrong. But sunrise to sunset, in my opinion, is not an accurate indicator of the amount of time the plant is "awake."

Screensho.jpg

That's another good question. How much light is required to count as light? Indoor plants can hermie if there is a very small amount of light, like even the red glow from an indicator light on a power strip. However, outdoor plants don't seem affected by street lights.

:hmmmm:

Well, that depends. Here's a screenshot of the weather app from right now for where I live. As you can see, from sunrise to sunset is 11 hours and 46 minutes if my math is right. Based on the official hours of sunrise and sunset you're correct, and duh, it's before the solstice, of course they aren't getting 13/11 based on this. I never asserted that. What I said in the post that started this was that I think the plant begins to perceive light and "wakes up" both before and after, ie, goes to sleep after sunset. She still has usable light at 6:18. The sun sets where she is. She gets the waning sun right on her until around 7:30. While that may be after "official" sunset as the app clearly shows, I'm asserting that's not what time the plant goes to sleep. I have estimated her usable light time at 13/11. I think she's awake from 6:30 am to 7:30 pm, ie 13 hours. I also said I could easily be wrong. But sunrise to sunset, in my opinion, is not an accurate indicator of the amount of time the plant is "awake."

Screensho.jpg
Earth has tilted more than normal . Been doing it for past 5 years . Magni north pole moving faster than previous years. Like ,42 miles a year. Now. Away from normal . That's reason for that. Sorry I'm a history an science guy.

Screensho.jpg
Let's make it even dumber Shed! So here's right now at 6:46. This pic shows her getting a combo of the waning sunlight between the houses across the street, which will last till around 7:15, and light that she gets ALL NIGHT starting at 6:30 pm when it comes on from the pictured street lamp. This lamp if you can't tell is yellow. I *think* it's an HPS bulb. For 12 hours exactly the plant is getting this light til 6:30 am when it goes off, and she's not nearly lit up (she lives under that bush on the right) but I wonder if it keeps her doing anything or how it affects her "sleep time." Another variable? Lol. Out back if I do this and move her there are no such lights. This "experiment" has way too many variables to mean anything, obviously, but it's fun, no? I have fun going back and forth with you so I hope you don't perceive me as being a dick. Not my intention to argue in a negative way but sometimes the written word gets misinterpreted or I mis-express something, so just to be clear, cool?

Dumber.jpg

The magnetic north pole has nothing to do with the tilt of the earth just sayin'!

I really hoping that volunteer flowers in July like it's supposed to, which would mean folks in warm weather can start their outside plants on Christmas!

And plants in flower near constant dim light sources (like streetlights) acclimate to those and flower anyway. From what I recall the clown saying, it's irregular light that is the problem.

That's another good question. How much light is required to count as light? Indoor plants can hermie if there is a very small amount of light, like even the red glow from an indicator light on a power strip. However, outdoor plants don't seem affected by street lights.

:hmmmm:
I had serious questions about that with the backyard outdoors. I put them in a dark spot at night. But there was a point when the plants were wider than the dark spot, and the one plant that went true hermie, the Strawberry Banana photo, was the plant that extended into what I didn't consider the "dark spot." This meant she got light on her right side whenever my mom decided to work in her office at night, from her office window. More light from that a few times than any of the other plants. And that's the one that went hermie. So aren't they affected by streetlights? I'm not sure. I think them being affected in an outdoor situation by those kinds of lights depends on lots of stuff, like how close it is, how often it happens, etc. I hear you, just not sure about that one. It could have gone hermie just cuz it was a fast flowering F1 and had nothing to do with the light I described. Interesting discussion, yes?

The magnetic north pole has nothing to do with the tilt of the earth just sayin'!

I really hoping that volunteer flowers in July like it's supposed to, which would mean folks in warm weather can start their outside plants on Christmas!

And plants in flower near constant dim light sources (like streetlights) acclimate to those and flower anyway. From what I recall the clown saying it's irregular light that is the problem.
But how about the steady light from an indicator button indoors?

And plants in flower near constant dim light sources (like streetlights) acclimate to those and flower anyway. From what I recall the clown saying it's irregular light that is the problem.
Interesting. The clown? And if I have to stay here for the summer and I can let her go, by July she'll be huge!

Back
Top Bottom