Jon's Second Grow, First Grow Journal, Soil Grow Autos & Photoperiod

Damage Update
Recovery Finally Showing
Day 73 Veg

I haven't posted an update on the Jelly Rancher that got removed from the photo tent and placed outside to recover from whatever her damn issues were. The plan, in a perfect world, was to nurse this girl back to health, and then as soon as the auto tent is empty, which should be in another two or three weeks, toss her in there and immediately flip her to 12/12 and bud her out. It has been eight days since I last posted about this plant, and in that time she has had two ten gallon flushes and tons and tons of sunlight. I have left her outside at night too cuz it doesn't go below 63 here at night anymore. This is where she is in her recovery. She is MUCH MUCH improved. I guess she had nitrogen toxicity (curling down leaves at the ends, browning, even on new growth) as a result of my dumb mistake of topping off the last gallon and a half of soil in the pot with crappy out of date Miracle Grow soil which I did not know had nutes built in to the soil. Then I was giving her the same nutes the other plants were getting on top of that since I had no idea. Anyway, she seems to have worked it out after I dug out much of the topsoil around the edges (the shitty soil) and flushed her twice in a row. I believe it should be smooth sailing from here.

So now the trick is going to be keeping this plant manageable from now until I can bud her in the auto tent. That means for about three weeks I have to keep up the serious amount of LST and try and keep a canopy intact as best I can. If I don't, the plant will be too tall for the auto tent, which is a foot shorter than the photo Gorilla tent. Both the quantum board and the blurples get pretty hot and have to be at least 18" from the canopy to operate on full power, which doesn't leave me unlimited space by any means for the stretch. She's going to have the tent to herself, and be directly under the quantum board in the center. She is going to go absolutely apeshit, and I expect her to outyield the plants in the scrog,

So the photographs:

- New growth showing no signs of any issues whatsoever
- New growth also showing completely healthy
- Side view of the plant and extensive LST (I'm running out of bamboo, lol)
- Sun perspective of the breadth of the girl. She's gonna be a big one.

Oh, and one more thing. I now have eight days of experience of watching a plant grow and develop in natural sunlight versus under LEDs. I can tell you already that there is zero doubt in my mind - plants like natural sunlight WAY more than they like any artificial light. The responsiveness of the plant is very noticeably faster and more pronounced in natural sunlight, and the plant grows more quickly as well. It's crazy. I want a really small real sun for my tent please, if any nuclear physicist growers in the forum have any ideas.

Happy Saturday everyone. Hoping my new glasses with my new prescription arrive today so I can finally see my plants with 20/20 vision.

New Growth 1.jpg

New Growth 2.jpg

Side View LST ongoing.jpg

Sun Perspective .jpg

Damage Update
Recovery Finally Showing
Day 73 Veg

I haven't posted an update on the Jelly Rancher that got removed from the photo tent and placed outside to recover from whatever her damn issues were. The plan, in a perfect world, was to nurse this girl back to health, and then as soon as the auto tent is empty, which should be in another two or three weeks, toss her in there and immediately flip her to 12/12 and bud her out. It has been eight days since I last posted about this plant, and in that time she has had two ten gallon flushes and tons and tons of sunlight. I have left her outside at night too cuz it doesn't go below 63 here at night anymore. This is where she is in her recovery. She is MUCH MUCH improved. I guess she had nitrogen toxicity (curling down leaves at the ends, browning, even on new growth) as a result of my dumb mistake of topping off the last gallon and a half of soil in the pot with crappy out of date Miracle Grow soil which I did not know had nutes built in to the soil. Then I was giving her the same nutes the other plants were getting on top of that since I had no idea. Anyway, she seems to have worked it out after I dug out much of the topsoil around the edges (the shitty soil) and flushed her twice in a row. I believe it should be smooth sailing from here.

So now the trick is going to be keeping this plant manageable from now until I can bud her in the auto tent. That means for about three weeks I have to keep up the serious amount of LST and try and keep a canopy intact as best I can. If I don't, the plant will be too tall for the auto tent, which is a foot shorter than the photo Gorilla tent. Both the quantum board and the blurples get pretty hot and have to be at least 18" from the canopy to operate on full power, which doesn't leave me unlimited space by any means for the stretch. She's going to have the tent to herself, and be directly under the quantum board in the center. She is going to go absolutely apeshit, and I expect her to outyield the plants in the scrog,

So the photographs:

- New growth showing no signs of any issues whatsoever
- New growth also showing completely healthy
- Side view of the plant and extensive LST (I'm running out of bamboo, lol)
- Sun perspective of the breadth of the girl. She's gonna be a big one.

Oh, and one more thing. I now have eight days of experience of watching a plant grow and develop in natural sunlight versus under LEDs. I can tell you already that there is zero doubt in my mind - plants like natural sunlight WAY more than they like any artificial light. The responsiveness of the plant is very noticeably faster and more pronounced in natural sunlight, and the plant grows more quickly as well. It's crazy. I want a really small real sun for my tent please, if any nuclear physicist growers in the forum have any ideas.

Happy Saturday everyone. Hoping my new glasses with my new prescription arrive today so I can finally see my plants with 20/20 vision.

New Growth 1.jpg

New Growth 2.jpg

Side View LST ongoing.jpg

Sun Perspective .jpg
I just got a new pair at the dollar store. HeHe
Fantastic my friend. Have a great day.
Bill

I just got a new pair at the dollar store. HeHe
Fantastic my friend. Have a great day.
Bill
Thanks Bill. Hey I have an unrelated question for you on the 36 hours of darkness thing. I'm in the process of that 36 hours as I type. So let's say when I open the tent, there's a whole bunch of buds already beginning to form, which is what I am hoping for in a perfect world. And let's say that totally sells me forever on the concept, as I hope happens, also in a perfect world. We both know the odds of a perfect world are rather low, (lol), but let's just say that's how it works out.

Well, in that case, why not try it once or twice more on the same grow? Why not try it again like three weeks later? Maybe it would make the buds explode again? Do you think there's any way this could hurt the plants somehow?
Or do you think it would have the same effect after already doing it once?

I have read a bunch on this and seen Emilya's thing on it, and maybe I have just missed it but I haven't seen this discussed, the idea of doing it more than once. Any thoughts, or guidance towards what I may have missed?

Thanks Bill. Hey I have an unrelated question for you on the 36 hours of darkness thing. I'm in the process of that 36 hours as I type. So let's say when I open the tent, there's a whole bunch of buds already beginning to form, which is what I am hoping for in a perfect world. And let's say that totally sells me forever on the concept, as I hope happens, also in a perfect world. We both know the odds of a perfect world are rather low, (lol), but let's just say that's how it works out.

Well, in that case, why not try it once or twice more on the same grow? Why not try it again like three weeks later? Maybe it would make the buds explode again? Do you think there's any way this could hurt the plants somehow?
Or do you think it would have the same effect after already doing it once?

I have read a bunch on this and seen Emilya's thing on it, and maybe I have just missed it but I haven't seen this discussed, the idea of doing it more than once. Any thoughts, or guidance towards what I may have missed?
Hello @Jon Hope you are well.
As far as the 36 hrs at start goes,my friend who told me about it is having the most difficult time trying to figure out what to do with his girls.
They have just exploded full pistils on the pics he showed me ,day 5. FULL.
But be weary his girls have exploded. Filled over two feet past his trellis and its a a jungle. In a couple weeks. Mind you he knows his stuff.
Your idea is very interesting, my only concern would be hermie.
But im interested in trying one from a crop. What do you think. Start of week 3
pull it out before lights come on then put back in when they are off again.
I can compare it to a sister in the same grow for a baseline.
What do you think?
Bill

Hello @Jon Hope you are well.
As far as the 36 hrs at start goes,my friend who told me about it is having the most difficult time trying to figure out what to do with his girls.
They have just exploded full pistils on the pics he showed me ,day 5. FULL.
But be weary his girls have exploded. Filled over two feet past his trellis and its a a jungle. In a couple weeks. Mind you he knows his stuff.
Your idea is very interesting, my only concern would be hermie.
But im interested in trying one from a crop. What do you think. Start of week 3
pull it out before lights come on then put back in when they are off again.
I can compare it to a sister in the same grow for a baseline.
What do you think?
Bill
Hey man, if you are able to remove a single plant from your grow and do it that way (that is what you mean, right?), AND you're willing to take that chance, I say go for it. Just watch the hermie like you said, as that was my only concern too. But I think genetics will win that battle and I know Humboldt is solid. But my balls aren't near big enough to try it twice when I would have to subject every plant to it cuz the scrog. LOL. GO for it, man.

Hey man, if you are able to remove a single plant from your grow and do it that way (that is what you mean, right?), AND you're willing to take that chance, I say go for it. Just watch the hermie like you said, as that was my only concern too. But I think genetics will win that battle and I know Humboldt is solid. But my balls aren't near big enough to try it twice when I would have to subject every plant to it cuz the scrog. LOL. GO for it, man.
I'm in if you never try you never know. See what NuttyProfessor is doing?
I have a separate room outside my flower room that will work perfectly.
I'll leave two sisters probably black jack at the door so I can document them. Black Jack is a solid strain i got from Holland years ago.
I would never think about it with a trellis, yeiks. hehe
I'm harvesting with in a week or so I'll start then.
Bill

I'm in if you never try you never know. See what NuttyProfessor is doing?
I have a separate room outside my flower room that will work perfectly.
I'll leave two sisters probably black jack at the door so I can document them. Black Jack is a solid strain i got from Holland years ago.
I would never think about it with a trellis, yeiks. hehe
I'm harvesting with in a week or so I'll start then.
Bill
Awesome, can't wait to see what happens. Psyched to see your harvest too.

Cinderella Jack Trichome Watch

The Cinderella Jack autoflowers are the next ones to get the chop. They are very very close. I could probably take them now if I wanted, but I will continue to defer to my trichomes and let them grow as much as they're going to.

So here's a couple trichome shots of the plants from right now. Check out the spiky, pointed trichomes. Are these what trichomes look like when they first sprout, before they develop heads? I've never been able to see clearly enough to see that or know that. You can clearly see it in the second picture and also in the first in the background and here and there. If these are fledgling trichomes that will develop heads and all that, WOW, that means these guys are still throwing trichomes out from nothing and therefore may have a few more days to go than I'm currently thinking.

Anyone know anything about spiky trichomes like this and if they are new trichomes or some weird thing? Thanks.

Cinderella Jack Trichome watch 1.jpg

Cinderella Jack trichome watch 2 and sharp spiky trichomes.jpg

Hey @Bill284, @StoneOtter, @Ivumlow, @Bud love, @Emilya, @Michael Hunt, @Justin Goody or anyone else who wants to chime in...

Can anyone tell me about these spikey trichomes that look like swords? This is a trichome shot from one of the Cinderella Jacks, all three of which are absolutely covered in trichomes head to toe. It's crazy. Maybe it's cuz I never had a microscope to see this closely, but those are unfamiliar to me. Is this what fledgling trichomes look like before they develop the round head? Is this indicative of the plant *still* shooting out trichomes and therefore still having a ways to go before we hit amber? How long does it take for the trichome to go from the spike to the round head if this is indeed what those are. And if they are something else, what in the heck are they?

The only other thought I had on them was they were trichomes that maybe I had brushed the heads off of in watering them or something, but all the Cinderella Jacks have these and I have touched the buds barely at all. It's not the result of handling I don't think. Plus this picture is taken with the microscope tip pushed into the bud itself. I could not have possibly brushed up against the spot this picture represents. So I guess that's not it?

I'm not worried about this, just intensely curious. If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it. Thanks guys in advance. I hope y'all are enjoying this Saturday night.

Hey @Bill284, @StoneOtter, @Ivumlow, @Bud love, @Emilya, @Michael Hunt, @Justin Goody or anyone else who wants to chime in...

Can anyone tell me about these spikey trichomes that look like swords? This is a trichome shot from one of the Cinderella Jacks, all three of which are absolutely covered in trichomes head to toe. It's crazy. Maybe it's cuz I never had a microscope to see this closely, but those are unfamiliar to me. Is this what fledgling trichomes look like before they develop the round head? Is this indicative of the plant *still* shooting out trichomes and therefore still having a ways to go before we hit amber? How long does it take for the trichome to go from the spike to the round head if this is indeed what those are. And if they are something else, what in the heck are they?

The only other thought I had on them was they were trichomes that maybe I had brushed the heads off of in watering them or something, but all the Cinderella Jacks have these and I have touched the buds barely at all. It's not the result of handling I don't think. Plus this picture is taken with the microscope tip pushed into the bud itself. I could not have possibly brushed up against the spot this picture represents. So I guess that's not it?

I'm not worried about this, just intensely curious. If anyone has any input I'd love to hear it. Thanks guys in advance. I hope y'all are enjoying this Saturday night.

That's called the Good Stuff ;)
Trichomes come in all different shapes and sizes, you have A LOT which is always a good thing. You did something right along the way and/or have really good genetics. Some may be broken off but it doesn't look like you have any problems here!

Trichomes come in all different shapes and sizes, you have A LOT which is always a good thing. You did something right along the way and/or have really good genetics. Some may be broken off but it doesn't look like you have any problems here!
Thanks for the response Justin! Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. These Cinderella Jacks are from Dutch Passion, so yeah, I had pretty strong confidence in the genetics going in, and they are getting flowered with literally over 900 true watts of light, so that I'm sure is part of it. I did fairly well for my first stab at autos. I'll harvest close to 20 ounces from the 9 plants. There's at least three ounces EASY on each of the Cinderella Jacks alone. Crazy yielding plant for it's size. I'll be shocked if the Pineapple Express matches it for yield even though the three Pineapple Express have WAY more bud sites than the Cinderella Jacks. In one tent in less than 3 months from seed. Heh. And no, it's not from breaking them, that picture was taken with the scope pushed all the way into a lower part of a bud where I couldn't possibly have touched. So that's just how they are on this plant. Fascinating. All of them have like 80% round headed trichomes and around 20% of these spikey ones. It blows my mind. I'm so glad I got a scope. The best $50 I spent on this grow was $40 for the microscope and $10 for a plain old dependable hydrometer with the long spikes so you can measure moisture anywhere in your pots and it's accurate as hell. I use them both every day.

Yeah, I'll say there's a LOT. They're basically drenched. Check this shot out. This is typical of all the buds. I guess there's a reason this is considered the world's strongest autoflower.

WOWEE.jpg

Anyone know anything about spiky trichomes like this and if they are new trichomes or some weird thing?
Those are probably new trichs... the "head" on the trichome you are referring to is just a bead of oil produced by the plant, yea they develop more oil as time passes... the bigger the bead the better the weed (or something like that lol)

Those are probably new trichs... the "head" on the trichome you are referring to is just a bead of oil produced by the plant, yea they develop more oil as time passes... the bigger the bead the better the weed (or something like that lol)
Muchas gracias, senor! I'll never find that exact spot again, but they're all like this, so I'm gonna watch and see what happens. It'll be cool to watch them develop the bead of oil I don't know what a "big" bead is, but the ones on the last picture I posted look pretty big to me. I dunno.

I don't know what a "big" bead is
Check out @Nunyabiz journal... he has a pick of a trichome with heavy oil production (what I call a resin gland of a plant when they all do that) :hug:

Yeah, I'll say there's a LOT. They're basically drenched. Check this shot out. This is typical of all the buds. I guess there's a reason this is considered the world's strongest autoflower.

WOWEE.jpg
They look fantastic my friend. Just mother nature at work. Like snowflakes they are all slightly different. Put them in the dark for 36 hrs and then check.
Pins swell and the ones with heads look like golf balls sitting on a tee.
They swell and retract throughout the daily cycle and appear headless at times.
Each one has a little bit of goodness inside for you regardless of shape.
Bill

They look fantastic my friend. Just mother nature at work. Like snowflakes they are all slightly different. Put them in the dark for 36 hrs and then check.
Pins swell and the ones with heads look like golf balls sitting on a tee.
They swell and retract throughout the daily cycle and appear headless at times.
Each one has a little bit of goodness inside for you regardless of shape.
Bill
Well here's the thing about that. I really WANT to put them in the dark for 36 hours but to do it I have to remove them from the tent and put them in a bathroom where my other plant is drying. That would work, but then I'm committed to harvesting at the end of that 36 hour period, correct? Not sure how long these guys will go. The trichomes say they're almost there but every single grow journal on this strain I can find goes a lot longer than 70 days and this is only day 63. So what do you think?

Well here's the thing about that. I really WANT to put them in the dark for 36 hours but to do it I have to remove them from the tent and put them in a bathroom where my other plant is drying. That would work, but then I'm committed to harvesting at the end of that 36 hour period, correct? Not sure how long these guys will go. The trichomes say they're almost there but every single grow journal on this strain I can find goes a lot longer than 70 days and this is only day 63. So what do you think?
Clear heads say a week maby two.
Ok they don't need total darkness for 36hrs. They just need away from direct L.E.D. Light. It degrades the trichomes over the 12 hr period.
Are you able to cover her in the tent for the last Light cycle. That will give you 36hr.
I have left some for over 48hr by the time I finish harvesting everyone.
Still was in great shape.
Bill

Clear heads say a week maby two.
Ok they don't need total darkness for 36hrs. They just need away from direct L.E.D. Light. It degrades the trichomes over the 12 hr period.
Are you able to cover her in the tent for the last Light cycle. That will give you 36hr.
I have left some for over 48hr by the time I finish harvesting everyone.
Still was in great shape.
Bill
No but I did switch the blurple that shines directly on the Cinderellas to the reds for the last 10 days or so of budding, and they're getting much more of the red light than they are the center quantum board full spectrum, although they are getting both. Yes, I can figure out a way.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom