Jon's Second Grow, First Grow Journal, Soil Grow Autos & Photoperiod

Last time i shut our ballast off for pictures i couldnt get it to turn back on for like 10 minutes (after letting it cool for 15). So i totally understand the fear of turning a light off lol. Gonna try covering ours with cardboard tonight for some normal pics
Duh! Another easy and obvious thing I didn't think of. Lol. Thanks.

Haha no problem man, thats what this place is for :high-five:
Come to think of it, that probably explains why my Korona app has been having a hard time with accurate readings in the auto tent since I added the quantum board. The app is designed so you pick the type of light you're measuring, like "full spectrum led" or "red and blue led." There's more, but those are the two relevant to me so I unlocked both of them for $5 each. In the photo tent it reads perfectly accurately. And in the auto tent, when it was only blurples, it also read completely accurately. But now in the auto I guess the app isn't sure if it's reading red/blue or full spectrum, and as a result the readings fluctuate all over the place. I'm going by eye/experience now, and last night I raised the light a bit to accommodate the Pineapple Express' that are still stretching out. Tomorrow they will all get hit with a good dose of Cal Mag plus Iron, as I am getting a few yellowing leaves and rust spots, and the new growth isn't quite as green as I'd like. They should be firing on all cylinders for the home stretch after that.

Come to think of it, that probably explains why my Korona app has been having a hard time with accurate readings in the auto tent since I added the quantum board. The app is designed so you pick the type of light you're measuring, like "full spectrum led" or "red and blue led." There's more, but those are the two relevant to me so I unlocked both of them for $5 each. In the photo tent it reads perfectly accurately. And in the auto tent, when it was only blurples, it also read completely accurately. But now in the auto I guess the app isn't sure if it's reading red/blue or full spectrum, and as a result the readings fluctuate all over the place. I'm going by eye/experience now, and last night I raised the light a bit to accommodate the Pineapple Express' that are still stretching out. Tomorrow they will all get hit with a good dose of Cal Mag plus Iron, as I am getting a few yellowing leaves and rust spots, and the new growth isn't quite as green as I'd like. They should be firing on all cylinders for the home stretch after that.
Haha i'm glad we could flick another light on for ya man. Just returning the favor for your post regarding your new scope. Reminded me to dig ours out since we are about at that stage to start looking. Doesn't even light up or connect anymore. time to find a new one. Thanks for the reminder ;)

I was in the auto tent and took this screen level shot of Cinderella Jack alley - I'm really only posting it because I liked the picture so much. Lmao. Enjoy!

Cindy Alley.jpg

And here's a Monday night picture of the girls doing their thing filling out the screen in Phototown. Filling out this screen is painfully easy. I was all concerned about it. It's common sense. And besides, the plants do all the work. These guys are just exploding. It's fascinating to watch new growth become real branches as more and more is exposed as we get wider and wider. This is so much damn fun. I'm tucking when they first wake up and I'm tucking before they go to sleep. It's awesome.

scrogging.jpg

And here's a Monday night picture of the girls doing their thing filling out the screen in Phototown. Filling out this screen is painfully easy. I was all concerned about it. It's common sense. And besides, the plants do all the work. These guys are just exploding. It's fascinating to watch new growth become real branches as more and more is exposed as we get wider and wider. This is so much damn fun. I'm tucking when they first wake up and I'm tucking before they go to sleep. It's awesome.

scrogging.jpg
Good work man! They have filled that screen out so much already. Come stretch you may end up with your hands full :yahoo:

Good work man! They have filled that screen out so much already. Come stretch you may end up with your hands full :yahoo:
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking. I can see flipping these guys to flower pretty soon. A week? I have no experience with this whatsoever, so at this point I'm flying blind. I understand what "fill the screen 75%" means, and that's about it. I assume I'm using the other 25% to fill in from the stretch, right? To my eye these guys are not that far off from the screen being 75% full, but I'm going to break it down by actual numbers of squares later on. Lol. Cuz otherwise it's just not OCD enough. LMAO!!

Some strains (like the one we’re growing) will triple in size, some less. If anything i’d be using that as a guide to when to flip. Im sure they’re mature enough hormonally to make the change :thumb:

i wouldnt sweat screen filling percentage too much man. By the time they’re filling out you likely wont even be able to see the screen anymore. After looking at yours, i had to go back and see what color string we used again lol. We used orange too :high-five:

Some strains (like the one we’re growing) will triple in size, some less. If anything i’d be using that as a guide to when to flip. Im sure they’re mature enough hormonally to make the change :thumb:

i wouldnt sweat screen filling percentage too much man. By the time they’re filling out you likely wont even be able to see the screen anymore. After looking at yours, i had to go back and see what color string we used again lol. We used orange too :high-five:
Yeah my first grow they basically doubled in size. I wasn't prepared for that my first grow. I ended up tying down branches constantly as I ran out of room relative to the light. This time, however, different story. For one, I'm totally prepared and have PLENTY of vertical space for them to triple if they want. And two, the light can be as close as 6" to the tops of the buds without burning them. There's no heat whatsoever, or as close to zero as I can imagine any light getting. Point being I will not run out of room with the light no matter what they do. So bring it on. Lol. And yeah, this is Day 69 today, so I'm sure hormonally they're ready. I thought the idea was to not see the screen? Anyway, I figured what I'll do is wait until the entire middle and between each plant is filled with bud sites. I'm kind of trying to leave the edge all around the frame open for the stretch. I had no idea how to do this in terms of what is the best part of the screen to leave open to fill with the stretch, so I figured I may as well fill all the middle first cuz it's the sweet spot.

Gorilla Zkittlez Harvest Watch Update

This one's real easy. Just a picture. She's not ready yet. Still hanging between clear and milky. Yay. The longer she goes the bigger the buds get, so I hope she takes forever. Anyway, here's the state of play with the Gorilla trichomes today. I love my new toy.

Not yet.jpg

Gorilla Zkittlez Harvest Watch Update

This one's real easy. Just a picture. She's not ready yet. Still hanging between clear and milky. Yay. The longer she goes the bigger the buds get, so I hope she takes forever. Anyway, here's the state of play with the Gorilla trichomes today. I love my new toy.

Not yet.jpg

Jon,

That may be just about where you want it given you're feedback on the experience you like? Definately getting close and remember to sample different levels of the plant as an average. We waited for a late harvest and while it definately produces a couch lock effect, the trichomes are more fragile and requires special handling so I think they should be ready soon. I will be harvesting a little earlier next time...

Looking awesome as always my friend, keep up the great work!

Jon,

That may be just about where you want it given you're feedback on the experience you like? Definately getting close and remember to sample different levels of the plant as an average. We waited for a late harvest and while it definately produces a couch lock effect, the trichomes are more fragile and requires special handling so I think they should be ready soon. I will be harvesting a little earlier next time...

Looking awesome as always my friend, keep up the great work!
I'm watching her every day. I basically harvest when I see the first amber trichome. I mean even one definite amber and she's chopped. So far I don't see any. That tells me she still has a few days so I'm flushing her and getting prepared to chop my first ever auto! But thanks, I hear you, you're right, and I'm on it!

Phototown Update
QUESTION?????????
Day 70 Veg

Hi guys. So if you're so inclined, please check out and comment on the picture below. What I am wondering is what constitutes either "75% full," or "Full Enough, Flip Them." Like, when should I be looking to flip? I'm thinking a week max, but that's my zero experience eyes talking. You can't quite see in the picture cuz I couldn't get overhead enough, but every single one of the holes within the circumference of the plant are filled right now. Like 20+ holes for each plant, more for the Blueberry Muffin and the beast Pineapple Upside Down Cake. There are a ton of branches that are quite viable but just aren't quite up to canopy level yet in addition to what you can see up top. Certainly branches that will make the screen EASY during the stretch. So do I take that into account in terms of when to flip?

I've never done this before guys. Any commentary/opinion/suggestion/criticism you may have would be most appreciated. Thanks!

suggestions welcome.jpg

What I am wondering is what constitutes either "75% full," or "Full Enough, Flip Them." Like, when should I be looking to flip?
Hi Jon, that means different things to different folks. I like to try to get weaving my branches and side branches to fill the space to 75% or so, then let the canopy rise another 6 inches before flip. I have lots of height so I don't worry about that. Less height = less inches before flip I'd think. They tell me .

Hi Jon, that means different things to different folks. I like to try to get weaving my branches and side branches to fill the space to 75% or so, then let the canopy rise another 6 inches before flip. I have lots of height so I don't worry about that. Less height = less inches before flip I'd think. They tell me .
Hey SO, thanks for the response. What is the reason to let the canopy rise six inches before the flip? And does it rise pretty much evenly those six inches? I have pretty much unlimited height and a low profile light that will be close to the buds during flower, so space is definitely not an issue. Once I flip them, during the two week (or so....) stretch, I am tucking the stretching branches to fill the remaining space, right? That was my understanding. But it sounds like you even the canopy, let it grow six inches, and let them go during the stretch? Doesn't that give you different height cola/branches? I thought the idea was to tuck through the stretch as bud sites set and end up with a flat canopy at screen level when budding begins in earnest after the stretch?

Sorry for so many questions. Fricking rookies. Lmao. Thanks!

What is the reason to let the canopy rise six inches before the flip?
Plain old increase in yield.
And does it rise pretty much evenly those six inches?
Meh, kinda sorta. That's where I do the best I can without too much worry. If They stay within a few inches by the end it's good for me. Best we can do with a constantly moving subject.
I am tucking the stretching branches to fill the remaining space, right?
Yes, that defines a scrog to me. Otherwise the net's just holding up colas on a plant.
But it sounds like you even the canopy, let it grow six inches, and let them go during the stretch?
That's my plan.
Doesn't that give you different height cola/branches?
While you're tucking the cola ends, you're also tucking side branches as well, keeping the canopy even within a few inches. Perfection is not available on this task so no worries if it's not. If you don't like a height...tuck it. As you go along it becomes obvious how they react.
I thought the idea was to tuck through the stretch as bud sites set and end up with a flat canopy at screen level when budding begins in earnest after the stretch?
Nope, I fill, go up some, then flip. I don't scrog all the time but I did one last year. I was disappointed because I didn't get the 75% fill before flip but I wanted to get the grow on the road so I flipped. The plants still were very generous in the end. Here's the grow. WeedSeedsExpress Godfather OG In LOS Scrogged & Cored
I love questions!

Back
Top Bottom