Just planted my first plants

I brought 120z of guava shake and found 2 seeds checked the internet and there £100 for 5 so i tried planting 1 directly in coco no soaking seed 2 days ago ive just looked nothing so i moved coco a little and its right at the top ready to pop out of coco then my 7 before i put in a cup of water 24hrs then placed in coco 2 days later they all popped through coco i also germinate under my lights for the heat. I use a pen the blue bit at the end is how far i go down some people have short stumpy fingers and some have long piano fingers with a pen u can't go wrong this is the type of pen i use

download - Copy.jpg

I have mine direct in soil about 2cm down, is it OK to leave my HPS on at 250w about 1 metre above pots to keep temp around 26-27c, been nearly 2 days now and no sign of them popping above the soil 😬

doesnt look to be swimming in water but I’d get a fan gently moving air 6 inches above the cups to help pull moisture out.

a great trick for newbies is to use bamboo barbeque skewers as moisture meter. the skewer must hit bottom center of the cup… place skewer in soil for 30 minutes and remove, a watermark should be visible on the dipstick to indicate soil moisture level

even tho it doesn’t appear to be overwatered heres another factor…the best nursery pots have holes in the sides near the bottom but not necessarily on the bottom. See photo… your white styrofoam cups have holes in bottom but the cups sit flat on their bottoms meaning no air can move thru the cup. Helps to elevate them on a grate to get airflow underneath. See red solo cup & dollar store cookie drying rack, they can be used to lift cups for airflow underneath or cut and bent to make secure no-tip cup holders

There are only two ways that could happen if you definitely did not overwater.
One, you underwatered them, the seedlings dried up to become part of the 'dirt' around it (You would be amazed at how tiny it is after the life is gone)
Or two, someone took them out.

I usually go by seed size, and never bury them under more than two seeds (longways end to end) worth of depth. (hence larger seeds can go deeper)

All I’ve got is… take 1 cup and dig out the top 1 inch with a sterile spoon, spread the soil around on a paper plate and sort thru it carefully
And still the chance that the seed will be missed. One time I had seeds in small containers on the kitchen counter. My wife went to move them and dropped a couple. I went through the sorting out the soil looking for seeds. Did find most of them but gave up looking for two missing seeds. I stuck new ones into the two small containers. Couple of days later I have two plants come up in one container.

Was kinda pissed 'cause I knew better than to put a new seed into that container without waiting to be sure nothing would sprout. Plus the new seed was a different strain than the one that I had not been able to find earlier.

I planted 3 seeds my first time, then tripped and dropped the tray as I was walking to put it in the tent. 😬 Took me 30 minutes of sifting thru dirt on the floor to find 2 of the 3 seeds.

I planted 3 seeds my first time, then tripped and dropped the tray as I was walking to put it in the tent. 😬 Took me 30 minutes of sifting thru dirt on the floor to find 2 of the 3 seeds.
I dropped a seed in my bedroom last year and I searched until I was almost cross eyed and didn’t find it. lol CL🍀

Hey @Lastwords,

Sorry to hear about your problem with the seeds. It sounds like you had some good "tails" (baby roots) going, but something happened when you transferred to soil. Here's my technique:

1) Prepare your sprouting soil. I recommend sifting the soil to make it finer, meaning run it through a 1/4 wire mesh.
2) For pots I use little 2" square nursery pots.
3) Fill pots with the medium. Water thoroughly with distilled water in a squirt bottle, until it drains out the bottom.
4) Poke a hole in the soil of each pot, to accommodate the sprouted seed, about 1/2" deep (or deeper if you've got long tails). Use something like a clean chop stick to do this.
5) Very carefully transfer the seedlings using tweezers, holding the see coat, into the holes, with root pointing downward. I sterilize the tweezers with hydrogen peroxide.
6) Gently cover the hole with soil.
7) Give slightly more water right over the hole.

Move to a warm, safe place, with an LED light. I use a 13-watt or 24-watt LED full spectrum bulb, well above the pots (e.g. 16 inches). You should see baby plants in 1-3 days.

Here's a photo of my last batch of seedlings: HERE. I use coconut coir with some perlite and a very light amount of nutrients added, as my sprouting medium. The seeds in that batch had long tails... HERE.

Back
Top Bottom