Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

Greetings Growmies,

Here's some photos from today...

Double Black Label CBG seeds, 3 days tucked into wet paper towel. I planted 12 more today.
DBL CBD germinate.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD, indica-dominant.
sweet_critical_CBD1.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD, top view.
sweet_critical_CBD2.jpg

Seedsman 30:1 CBD, sativa-dominant. This one has been topped.
seedsman_30to1_CBD1.jpg

Seedsman 30:1 top view.
seedsman_30to1_CBD2.jpg

Blue Widow, 50/50 hybrid.
blue_widow1.jpg

Blueberry, topped.
blueberry1.jpg

Greetings Growmies,

Double Black Label CBG seeds, 3 days tucked into wet paper towel. I planted 12 more today.
DBL CBD germinate.jpg

sweet_critical_CBD1.jpg

sweet_critical_CBD2.jpg

seedsman_30to1_CBD1.jpg

seedsman_30to1_CBD2.jpg

Blue Widow, 90% indica.
blue_widow1.jpg

Blueberry, topped.
blueberry1.jpg
Happy birthday Amigo. :party:
Nice healthy roots shooting out of those seeds.:thumb:
Garden looks fantastic too.
Happy ladies, nice work. :welldone:
Hope you had a nice weekend.
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

And one more planted today, bringing the grand total to 16 planted. 16 out of 19 germinated.

Good news... my legacy CBG mom now has 1 clone ready to plant in 1 gal pot, and some others that will likely root. Soooo... time to move the mom to the flower house.

Thoughts on Nitrogen

In another thread I've been inspired to delve more into understanding NPK and ppm. I've been using bat guano in my custom soil mix, which has an NPK of 7-3-1, as my primary N source. I calculated tonight that the amount of bat guano I've been using in the mix comes out to around 1,000 ppm of N.

I would really like some feedback on this... a reference point of 1,000 ppm N in my soil. Now, I've read that 175 ppm is sufficient N for veg, and too much N is not a good thing, of course. And I've seen other numbers, such as 250 ppm. The fertilizer comes with an application rate that works out to around 300 ppm.

So... some nuances come to mind, one of those being that if I'm relying on the soil to fertilize the plant, through most of its lifecycle, then starting with 1,000 ppm is maybe OK. Another thing... how much of the 1,000 ppm is actually available to the plant? This is all very dynamic, because you've got multiple factors determining how available the N is to the plant, including: pot size, amount of beneficial microbes present, age of the plant, size of root mass, etc. And, there's probably something going on with the bio-availability of the N, i.e. it's chemical form in the fertilizer, and how readily the plant (plus microbes) can utilize that. And yet more complexity... the ppm of the other nutrients involved in N utilization (Fe, Zn, Mn).

Any thoughts?

And one more planted today, bringing the grand total to 16 planted. 16 out of 19 germinated.

Good news... my legacy CBG mom now has 1 clone ready to plant in 1 gal pot, and some others that will likely root. Soooo... time to move the mom to the flower house.

Thoughts on Nitrogen

In another thread I've been inspired to delve more into understanding NPK and ppm. I've been using bat guano in my custom soil mix, which has an NPK of 7-3-1, as my primary N source. I calculated tonight that the amount of bat guano I've been using in the mix comes out to around 1,000 ppm of N.

I would really like some feedback on this... a reference point of 1,000 ppm N in my soil. Now, I've read that 175 ppm is sufficient N for veg, and too much N is not a good thing, of course. And I've seen other numbers, such as 250 ppm. The fertilizer comes with an application rate that works out to around 300 ppm.

So... some nuances come to mind, one of those being that if I'm relying on the soil to fertilize the plant, through most of its lifecycle, then starting with 1,000 ppm is maybe OK. Another thing... how much of the 1,000 ppm is actually available to the plant? This is all very dynamic, because you've got multiple factors determining how available the N is to the plant, including: pot size, amount of beneficial microbes present, age of the plant, size of root mass, etc. And, there's probably something going on with the bio-availability of the N, i.e. it's chemical form in the fertilizer, and how readily the plant (plus microbes) can utilize that. And yet more complexity... the ppm of the other nutrients involved in N utilization (Fe, Zn, Mn).

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately you can't calculate what's being delivered to the plant with organics the same way you can with salt based fertilizers. The definition of organic is that the molecule must contain carbon. The microbes break down the organic matter and free the desired nutrient from its carbon bond. Some organic compounds break down faster than others. The size of microbe colony also plays a part on how quickly it happens.

If its of any use, our founder posted a list of organic compounds and their N-P-K values over HERE, but again you don't know the timing of the release with any certainty.

I'm not an LOS grower but I don't know if you can measure PPM of organic elements the way you do synthetics. If your plants aren't dark green with clawing tips I'd say they're not getting an actual 1,000PPM of N.

1000ppm of immediately available N would probably be more like spontaneous combustion. :rofl: I prefer my combustion in a bowl.

Greetings Growmies,

DBL CBD germinate.jpg

sweet_critical_CBD1.jpg

sweet_critical_CBD2.jpg

seedsman_30to1_CBD1.jpg

seedsman_30to1_CBD2.jpg

Blue Widow, 90% indica.
blue_widow1.jpg

Blueberry, topped.
blueberry1.jpg
Hey CBD are those strains specifically for your environment? Congratulations btw +Happy Birthday 🎂. CL🍀:woohoo::happy-birthday::popcorn::Namaste:

I'm not an LOS grower but I don't know if you can measure PPM of organic elements the way you do synthetics. If your plants aren't dark green with clawing tips I'd say they're not getting an actual 1,000PPM of N.
Well, 7% N can indeed be converted to PPM. That's the measurement. But, absorption by the plant is another issue.

From the product:
TOTAL NITROGEN (N) 7.0%
1.8% Water Soluble Nitrogen
5.2% Water Insoluble Nitrogen
So maybe this is a clue... maybe 1.8% is readily available, while the rest is more slow release.

Unfortunately you can't calculate what's being delivered to the plant with organics the same way you can with salt based fertilizers. The definition of organic is that the molecule must contain carbon.
Some of the N from bat guano is ammonia, NH3. Some is probably urea, CH₄N₂O. I think maybe urea converts to ammonia, maybe over time. My container was sitting around for a long time, and when I took the lid off I smelled ammonia.
The microbes break down the organic matter and free the desired nutrient from its carbon bond. Some organic compounds break down faster than others. The size of microbe colony also plays a part on how quickly it happens.
Yes, but as with ammonia, no C involved.
If its of any use, our founder posted a list of organic compounds and their N-P-K values over HERE, but again you don't know the timing of the release with any certainty.
Thanks, I'll check it out. All the ferts I'm using from Down to Earth have NPK on the box, and application instructions. I calculated the ppm for the N application amount they recommended per gallon soil, and it came out around 300.
1000ppm of immediately available N would probably be more like spontaneous combustion. :rofl: I prefer my combustion in a bowl.
I did a recent soil test and NPK were all indicating high. But my plants never burn. I have only recently increased iron, so I'm waiting to see if they get darker green.

Hey CBD are those strains specifically for your environment? Congratulations btw +Happy Birthday 🎂. CL🍀
Thanks. The CBD and CBG aren't really part of this Quest for mold-resistant strains, but maybe I'll get lucky. My legacy CBD is around 10% CBD, and legacy CBG is around 12-14% CBG. The new ones hopefully will be up around 20%.

The Blue Widow is part of the Quest... I had a typo "90% indica"... she's actually a 50/50 hybrid, but this looks like an indica-dominant pheno. Blueberry was a freebie, but drafted into the Quest. The others in the Quest are Green Mountain Grape (90% sativa), HI-BISCUS (50/50), and Grape Ape (90% indica). The 2 GMG girls are already going for it in the flower house.

Blue Widow, 50/50 hybrid.
blue_widow1.jpg
I just read: "Blue Widow expresses two dominant phenotypes: compact (Indica) and tall (Sativa)."

Looks like I wound up with the indica phenotype... fine with me!

The seed seller just said "Indica / Sativa". I.e. 50/50.

I'm reading now that it's indica dominant... an "indica strain".

Strong, sweet odor and berry flavor.

Several websites report that the dominant terpene is myrcene; however, True Terpenes reports alpha-terpineol, beta-caryophyllene, and terpinolene as the top terps for Blue Widow...

1677053199020.png

They also report the same top terps for White Widow.

I'm gonna make an educated guess now that the mold resistant strains are the ones that are either myrcene dominant or terpineol/terpinolene dominant, with a possibility also of linalool...

straindominant terpene(s)sativa/indica
White Widowterpineol, terpinoleneindica dominant hybrid
Blue Widowterpineol, terpinoleneindica dominant hybrid
Durban Poisonterpinolene, myrcenepure sativa
Panamaterpinolenepure sativa
Green Mountain Grape(unknown: I'm gonna guess terpinolene)sativa
Northern Lightsterpinoleneindica
LSDterpinolene, myrcene, pineneindica dominant hybrid
Blue Dreammyrcenesativa dominant hybrid
Grape Apemyrceneindica
Blueberrymyrceneindica dominant hybrid
A.M.S.caryophylene, myrceneindica dominant hybrid
ATFmyrcene, linalool, pinenesativa dominant hybrid

Do you always upcan plants this early?
Yep. All are transferred to 1 gal now... the DBL CBG. (PHOTO)

We're still having really bad low sunlight conditions and super high humidity. Very much need sun and heat. I have 2 Green Mountain Grape (90% sativa) in the flower house now, and they are getting some dark mold on the underside of the leaves. Not super serious, but it's happening. Alas, a sign they are not very mold resistant, at least for the leaf mold. We'll see about bud rot later. I sprayed the plants in the flower house today with potassium citrate and Bronner's soap solution – trying a more dilute solution this time.

DBL_CBG1.jpg

We're still having really bad low sunlight conditions and super high humidity. Very much need sun and heat. I have 2 Green Mountain Grape (90% sativa) in the flower house now, and they are getting some dark mold on the underside of the leaves. Not super serious, but it's happening. Alas, a sign they are not very mold resistant, at least for the leaf mold. We'll see about bud rot later. I sprayed the plants in the flower house today with potassium citrate and Bronner's soap solution – trying a more dilute solution this time.
Another week of really bad outdoor cannabis growing conditions... low sunlight, rain, cloudy, low temps, super high humidity. I don't recall a winter here with conditions this bad. Normally there's some sun during the day. This has been just straight rainy, cloudy, windy. Looks like a few sunny days coming, though.

Plants are doing OK, but not growing very fast. Clone starts have been fussy. I sprayed the flowering plants again today with K-citrate/Bronner's solution.

wow cbd ,thats truely a wonderful winter garden you"ve got going , in my area i have problems with powdery mildew but bud rot isnt to bad , but does appear some times , the strains i found & use that are very resistance to the above problems are blueberry, blue dream ,northen lights (my favorite strain) & wonder woman which is white widow x super skunk , peace :peace: & have a nice day

wow cbd ,thats truely a wonderful winter garden you"ve got going , in my area i have problems with powdery mildew but bud rot isnt to bad , but does appear some times , the strains i found & use that are very resistance to the above problems are blueberry, blue dream ,northen lights (my favorite strain) & wonder woman which is white widow x super skunk , peace :peace: & have a nice day
Thanks 🙏. I'm growing BB for the first time now... haven't flowered yet. Also have been growing a Blue Dream hybrid, and yes... good resistance to bud rot. I will check out Northern Lights. Wonder Woman sounds good, too... will check it out.

Update...

The two GMG sativas in the flower house have been getting hammered by leaf mold, even more than the Blue Dream hybrids. I'm giving up on the K-citrate as a leaf mold inhibitor... it leaves a residue and just doesn't seem to do anything. I reverted back to hydrogen peroxide and gave them all a good spray down yesterday. They're looking good today. (pics soon)

We finally have a break in the weather... return of the sun! ☀️

Veg house today. Plants have suffered from low-light conditions, but they're doing OK.
veg_house1.jpg

DBL CBG.
DBL_CBG1.jpg

Earlier today. Now showing 82°F and 64% RH, bright sun.
temp_humidity.jpg

I'm so impressed with this compact, indica-dominant CBD #18 pheno... always deep-green leaves, no nutrient problems, super mold resistant, high-resin production, good cloner. She's been cloned many times... clones of clones. I would like to breed her... possibly with the red-stem GMG sativa male, or I'll look for some other regular seed for a known super mold resistant THC strain.
CBG_18.jpg

Older clones in 1 gal pots... most ready for final pot size. I will probably go 15 gal fabric with some of these. Far left with big fan leaves is Grape Ape (I chopped the mom because she had stem rot). Right rear are two Green Mountain Grape sativa females.
older_clones1.jpg

Close-up of the above clones. Tall ones in the back are GMG sativa females. The one on the left mysteriously went into flower a bit, even though she was under night-interruption lighting. She has now re-vegged. In the foreground you can see a little GMG male clone, red-stem pheno... amazingly, photo-sensitive. To the right of him, a Blue Dream hybrid.
clone_closeup2.jpg

DBL CBG seedlings and newer clones. The clones don't look so great, but they'll do fine, now that they're out of the dome and into the sunlight. They all have solid roots.
veg_house2.jpg

Last clones in the dome. As of now, I've cloned all the strains that are part of the quest. Good news... I was also able to clone my legacy CBG pheno.
last_clones1.jpg

hey cbd hows it giong , looks mighty fine , your"ve got alot of work ahead of u with all those plants / seedlings , the cbd#18 is so pretty , i"m looking forward to the up coming thread , i love seeing natural growen plants like yours , i"m not knocking the big comercial growers like in california , they achieve incredible results but its not natural , i"m old school , keep up the good work, peace :peace: & take care

hi there cbd , it dawned on me your rather close to the equator , i had a look in the internet , the longest day light hours is aprox. 13 & a half hours , which could make it a challenge growing indica strains ,with those short light hours the plants can have a short veg. time therefore the plants will end up short, the strains i mentioned are indica dominant strains ,,best wishes , :peace:

hey cbd hows it giong , looks mighty fine , your"ve got alot of work ahead of u with all those plants / seedlings , the cbd#18 is so pretty , i"m forward to the up coming thread , i love seeing natural growen plants like yours , i"m not knocking the big comercial growers like in california , they achieve incredible results but its not natural , i"m old school , keep up the good work, peace :peace: & take care
Check out @Mycelium Farmer he’s in the Triangle and grows naturally. CL🍀:Namaste::420:

Back
Top Bottom