Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

I began by taking a closer look at a strain I have been considering trying out, which is a specific Purple Haze hybrid from Northern California. It has an amazingly high amount of myrcene in it... a whopping 20mg/g. In other words, the buds are 2% myrcene (I am waiting for confirmation on that).
Alas, it was a misprint.

I'm looking at two strains now that are known for being very high in total terpenes...

Marionberry Kush now emerges as the possible winner for most myrcene at 1.4%, which is remarkable given that the max total terpenes for cannabis buds is about 3%. I will probably order some fem seeds (can't find regular).

I'm also focusing now on Bruce Banner 2.0 and #3, feminized (can't find regular), and "Bruce Banner" regulars. My research shows there's little agreement on which terpene is the most dominant in Bruce Banner: some websites say myrcene (0.3%), while some say beta-caryophyllene, and some say linalool. I suppose this is because there's a lot of variation in the amounts of terpenes due to environmental factors in the grow, phenotypic differences, harvest timing, and method of drying the buds. I can only say that the dominant terpenes in Bruce Banner are beta-caryophyllene, myrcene, limonene, linalool, and humulene. (I have confirmed that at least linalool is anti-fungal against Botrytis bud rot.)

Marionberry Kush
• indica-dominant
• THC over 20%
• mold resistant

Bruce Banner
• sativa-dominant
• THC up to 28+%
• mold resistant

Reviewing again the complex lineage of Bruce Banner**...

BB #3 is one of the original phenotypes of BB developed by Dark Horse. BB #3 was the favorite and award-winning for its potency. The latest version of BB from Dark Horse is called Bruce Banner 1.0, which is a stabilized Bruce Banner #3. BB 1.0 is also known as Bruce Banner 2.0 (or Bruce Banner BX 2.0). (What's sold as "Original Bruce Banner" looks like it's not available anymore.)
I believe the original BB #3 was a clone-only strain. Then it was bred to produce a BB #3 seed line. The seed produces 3 phenotypes known as #1, #3, and #5.
So, if you grow out a BB #3 seed, the phenotype could be #1, #3, or #5.
#1 - 50/50 hybrid (parents are OG Kush and Strawberry Diesel)
#3 - 60% sativa (OG Kush dominant)
#5 - 65% sativa (Strawberry Diesel dominant)

Bruce Banner 2.0 is a stabilized Bruce Banner #3, which was back-crossed with BB #5, and apparently more likely to throw sativa-dominant phenos.

** Updated version of a similar post I made.

Greetings Growmies,

Veg house update... I started 18 more clones today, in final preparation to move some plants to the flower house. I plan on moving some tomorrow.

Flower house update... The plants aren't quite ready to harvest yet. The two Green Mountain Grapes are coming along, but I did see a little bit of fungal filaments under the scope, so I sprayed both with peroxide. Aside from that, I didn't see any sign of bud rot on any of the buds, on any of the plants. The two Blue Dream hybrids are getting close, but still need more ripening. My legacy CBG has lots of white trichomes, but still lots of white stigmas (see photos).

New clones in the veg house: Blue Widow (3), Green Mountain Grape (2), Grape Ape (2), HI-BISCUS (2), Blueberry (2), Seedsman 30:1 CBD (2), legacy CBD phenos (#1, #9, #18).
Clone1.jpg

The veg house tonight. Pretty much everything behind the foreground plants are heading to the flower house soon... HI-BISCUS (2 plants), Blue Widow, Blueberry (tall one in the back), Sweet Critical CBD, Seedsman 30:1 CBD. The young Grape Ape (foreground/left in 6.5 gal pot) is just getting started.
veg_house1.jpg

The good weather continues... plenty of sun, heat, and lower humidity.
Temp_humid1.jpg

A mid-plant bud of Green Mountain Grape (90% sativa). Not bad for over-winter in a 6.5 gallon pot, and vegged for too long!
GMG_bud1.jpg

GMG. Sugar leaves have a little bit of purple coloring on close inspection.
GMG_bud3.jpg

GMG
GMG_bud_closeup1.jpg

Blue Dream hybrid. Considerably more trichome production than the GMGs; also more pungent and sweet.
blue_dream_bud1.jpg

Blue Dream hybrid.
blue_dream_bud_closeup1.jpg

A delicate CBG bud from my legacy CBG pheno. Most are opaque milky or white. I'm surprised to see the stigmas still mostly alive.
CBG_bud1.jpg

CBG trichomes. Many are almost solid white, unlike the opaque, milky trichomes of a THC or CBD flower.
CBG_trichomes1.jpg

The young Grape Ape (foreground/left in 6.5 gal pot) is just getting started.
She had a drainage problem... I just re-potted her. Folks, beware of large plastic pots! This one was more like 8 gal and water wasn't flowing through, even though there were multiple holes at the base of the sidewalls, and one central hole in the bottom. And my soil mixture is very permeable, with plenty of coir. I transferred to a 7 gal pot, and put a layer of perlite at the bottom, and a layer of coir above that. Once transferred, I watered until runoff. Fingers crossed that she isn't shocked.

Things progressing... update w/ pics from today...

She had a drainage problem... I just re-potted her.
She's doing well... Grape Ape clone in 7 gal. from a mom that I chopped due to stem rot.
grape_ape1.jpg

Veg house opened up now... 5 plants moved to the flower house. The only "quest" plant remaining is the Blue Window in the back, center, which I've taken cuttings from and waiting for those to be successful. Grape Ape is in foreground, far left.
veg_house1.jpg

5 plants added to the flower house (foreground): Blueberry (tall one on the left), HI-BISCUS (2 plants), Sweet Critical CBD, Seedsman 30:1 CBD. 5 plants in the background almost ready to harvest (one is hidden on the left).
flower_house1.jpg

View of new plants from inside the flower house... kinda hard to see because of all the vegetation in the background. Straight ahead is the Blueberry... looks like it's sprouting pink flowers (that's a hibiscus in the background). I'm impressed with the BB – she's the most vigorous of the quest plants, or perhaps on par with the Green Mountain Grape sativas. She's in a 5 gal pot, and I estimate 6 ft. tall (not including the pot).
flower_house2.jpg

This is cool... the 2 Green Mountain Grape sativas in the flower house are 2 different phenos. The one on the right has purple in the buds, and darker green leaves. I have a hunch that the purple pheno is more bud rot resistant. The proof will be revealed after harvest and trimming. Fortunately, I think I got a clone of her. I may try to regenerate her... return to veg... dunno if it's possible with this one... I have defoliated her to the max.
GMG_pheno_comparison1.jpg

Hey Growmies,

Some photos from today...

The DBL CBG is now showing 2 phenos (below). Out of about 14 DBL seedlings, 6 made the cut – the rest were autos and dinky photo phenos. Looks like maybe the one on the left is indica-dominant. The one on the right looks sativa-dominant, and there's just 1 out of the 6 like this. @stardawg17 is also growing DBL.
DBL_phenos1.jpg

The veg house this afternoon.
veg_house1.jpg

Up-potted today... a Blueberry clone in 5 gal.
blueberry1.jpg

Also up-potted, a Grape Ape clone in 5 gal.
grape_ape1.jpg

temp_and_humidity1.jpg

I added 6 more clone starts today, making the total 24. I added 3 GMG purple bud pheno, and 3 of some others.
clones1.jpg

Trichome pics from the flower house yesterday. 5 different plants.

Would you harvest? How long would you wait on each? Any comments much appreciated... I've got my hands full!

#1 - Green Mountain Grape sativa, green bud pheno

Bud tip. I'm a little worried about bud rot on this plant – none as yet overtly visible.
GMG_green_pheno1.jpg

Some but rot fungal filaments, kept at bay w/ peroxide solution.
GMG_green_pheno2.jpg

GMG_green_pheno3.jpg

#2 - Green Mountain Grape sativa, purple bud pheno

Bud tip. I'm less worried about bud rot on this plant – none seen yet, even under magnification.
GMG_purple_pheno1.jpg

bud tip and sugar leaves
GMG_purple_pheno2.jpg

#3 - Blue Dream hybrid (right plant)

I'm not too worried about bud rot on this plant, but a bit more worried than the Blue Dream hybrid (left plant).
blue_dream_right3.jpg
blue_dream_right1.jpg

blue_dream_right2.jpg

continued...

Trichome pics from the flower house yesterday. (continued)

#4 - Blue Dream hybrid (left plant)

I'm not worried about bud rot too much on this plant.
blue_dream_left1.jpg

blue_dream_left2.jpg

blue_dream_left3.jpg

#5 - CBG pheno

No sign of bud rot on this plant. Will they ever turn amber?
CBG1.jpg

Would you harvest? How long would you wait on each? Any comments much appreciated... I've got my hands full!

:thanks:

Looks like maybe the one on the left is indica-dominant. The one on the right looks sativa-dominant,
What's your take on indica vs sativa? Any notable difference in cbg levels or is it more about the head high vs body stone for you?

Trichome pics from the flower house yesterday. 5 different plants.

Some but rot fungal filaments, kept at bay w/ peroxide solution.
Have you tried any of the Jadam solutions on previous plants? @Bode has had good luck with JMS and @danishoes21 had good luck with a Jadam willow extract.

Otherwise, I'd treat it like you are with the h2o2 to try to keep it at bay. 🤞

What's your take on indica vs sativa? Any notable difference in cbg levels or is it more about the head high vs body stone for you?
I have not tuned into any differences on that. Prior to DBL, I've been growing just one CBG pheno and I don't know where it stands on indica vs. sativa... it is maybe a 50/50 hybrid.

Have you tried any of the Jadam solutions on previous plants? @Bode has had good luck with JMS and @danishoes21 had good luck with a Jadam willow extract.

Otherwise, I'd treat it like you are with the h2o2 to try to keep it at bay. 🤞
Thanks. No, I haven't tried any Jadams yet.

#1 - Green Mountain Grape sativa, green bud pheno

Bud tip. I'm a little worried about bud rot on this plant – none as yet overtly visible.
GMG_green_pheno1.jpg
I saw some more bud rot today, sprayed her down with peroxide solution.

Planning to harvest this one plant tomorrow. The others seem to be hanging in there pretty good. I'll probably harvest one of the Blue Dreams the following day.

Greetings Growmies,

Here are the first results of the Quest for mold-resistant strains: Green Mountain Grape, green pheno, harvested today and trimmed tonight.

Green Mountain Grape, 90% sativa, green pheno.

categoryscore
Leaf mold resistance* (low, med, high): low1
Bud rot resistance* (low, med, high): med2
Bug resistance (low, med, high): high3
Resin production (low, med, high): low1
Fragrance: mild peppery--
Harvest status (minus, neutral, plus): minus
harvested early due to signs of bud rot
Yield (low, med, high): low1
Overall rating: 9/18 = 50%

* Low and med resistance implies peroxide or some other foliar spray was used on leaves and/or buds.

bud_in_hand1.jpg

All top buds.
GMG_top_buds1.jpg

Top buds, trimmed (LEFT and by scissors). Bud rot (MIDDLE). Trim (RIGHT). Bud density was low, as is typical for a sativa.
GMG_top_buds_trimmed1.jpg

Lower buds, trimmed (LEFT). Bud rot (MIDDLE). Trim (RIGHT).
GMG_lower_buds_trimmed1.jpg

Bud rot close-up... infected bract and stigmas (CENTER). Most of this stuff was minor and isolated, but made trimming a somewhat difficult, poking into buds to see if there was any rot.
budrot_closeup1.jpg

Bud rot close-up. An example of bud rot getting started on dead stigmas.
budrot_closeup2.jpg

Bud rot close-up. This is the worst kind... buried inside a perfectly good looking bud. Bud piece on the right was clipped from the bud on the left. The rot was on the inside-facing area.
budrot_closeup3.jpg

Greetings Growmies,

Here's a baseline result for the Blue Dream hybrid, harvested today and trimmed tonight. Good for comparing to the Quest strains. Next up, maybe tomorrow, will be the Green Mountain Grape purple pheno – I removed 3 popcorn buds today that were completely brown from bud rot; but that was all the bud rot I noticed.

Humboldt Dream, 70% indica

categoryscore
Leaf mold resistance* (low, med, high): low-0.75
Bud rot resistance* (low, med, high): med+2.5
Bug resistance (low, med, high): high3
Resin production (low, med, high): med2
Fragrance: sweet/cheese/pepper/gas--
Harvest status (minus, neutral, plus): neutral
slight signs of bud rot, heavy black leaf mold
Yield (low, med, high): med2
Overall rating: 12.25/18 = 68%

* Low and med resistance implies peroxide or some other foliar spray was used on leaves and/or buds.

Top colas, virtually bud rot free. Good resin production.

HD_top_buds1.jpg

Top buds and larger lower buds, trimmed (LEFT and by scissors). Bud rot (CENTER). Trim (RIGHT). Trimming was encumbered by lots of black/grey mold on the underside of trichome-laden sugar leaves.
HD_trimming1.jpg

Lower buds, trimmed (LEFT). Bud rot (CENTER). Trim (RIGHT).
HD_trimming2.jpg

Greetings Growmies,

Here's a summary of last night's trimming hell 😵‍💫

Starting with the Green Mountain Grape purple pheno. I had high hopes, but unfortunately missed the narrow window of opportunity on this one... bud rot had set in (details in the photos below). I did get some buds to try out. I consider this to be a salvage harvest, and salvage trim job. Next time around, I'll try this one again from a clone and give it more pot space and attention.

Green Mountain Grape, 90% sativa, purple pheno.

categoryscore
Leaf mold resistance* (low, med, high): low1
Bud rot resistance* (low, med, high): low0.5
Bug resistance (low, med, high): med2
Resin production (low, med, high): med2
Fragrance: sweet, peppery, gas--
Harvest status (minus, neutral, plus): minus
but rot, salvage harvest
Yield (low, med, high): low0.5
Overall rating: 7/18 = 39%

GMG purple pheno, top buds and larger lower buds. Look nice enough, but have a lot of early stage bud rot, plus some bugs, plus senescence... dead leaves and bracts. Yuck! ...but you can see the potential.

GMG_purple_pheno.jpg

Dark purple on underside of leaves was hiding leaf mold spots. The combination of dark purple coloring on leaves and bracts, leaf mold, dead bracts, and bud rot setting in made this a nightmare trim job.
GMG_purple_pheno1.jpg

The clean buds were beautiful.
GMG_purple_bud1.jpg

This is what I was able to salvage.
GMG_purple_allbuds1.jpg

Example of dark purple coloration in the bracts. Much more resin that the green pheno. This pheno's narrow window for avoiding bud rot worked against trying to ripen it to the full. I'm hoping another go w/ a clone will produce better results. This one was in 6.5 gal. Very open growth pattern, not a lot of bud sites, but potential for larger colas.
GMG_purp_trichomes1.jpg

The first bud I put magnification on revealed this little guy... a tiny worm of some sort. In general, the buds were more buggy than the green pheno, but this could be because of passing the window for best harvest, and senescence setting in.
GMG_purp_trich_worm1.jpg

I ended up tossing quite a bit of material. This is a good example of what I was facing... mold getting started on dead bracts. (enlargement follows)
GMG_purp_budrot1.jpg

Enlargement of above.
GMG_purp_budrot2.jpg

Another example.
GMG_purp_budrot3.jpg

Enlargement of above.
GMG_purp_budrot4.jpg

... continued

I also harvested the other Humboldt Dream. It was also a salvage harvest, but much better than the above GMG purple pheno. I was able to trim a good amount of very clean, easy-to-trim buds. I tossed a lot, also, just because I didn't want to deal with dead leaves stuck to the resin. Again... it was a situation of senescence setting in. These Humboldt Dreams were grown in 5 gal pots... really too small.

There's one more plant to harvest in the flower house... my legacy CBG. She's very bud rot resistance. I'll keep a close on her... possibly harvest on Friday or Saturday.

Meanwhile, I have moved several plants to the flower house: HI-BISCUS (2), Sweet Critical CBD, Seedsman 30:1 CBD, and Blueberry... as I mentioned on Mar. 29. They're doing well... starting to flower.

That's all for tonight! :ciao:

Back
Top Bottom