Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

hi there cbd , it dawned on me your rather close to the equator , i had a look in the internet , the longest day light hours is aprox. 13 & a half hours , which could make it a challenge growing indica strains ,with those short light hours the plants can have a short veg. time therefore the plants will end up short, the strains i mentioned are indica dominant strains ,,best wishes , :peace:
Starting end of May we get 13 hrs, and that increases to 13.5 hrs, then back to 13 beginning of Aug. This isn't really that much different than say, Denver, Colorado, which gets about an hour and 40 mins (max) more daylight per day during the same period.

Indicas grow just fine here. I use night interruption lighting in my veg house, so I'm controlling how long the plants stay in veg. When they get big enough, I transfer them to the flower house.

The roof blew off my veg house in high winds today! Possibly 50mph gusts. The plastic is OK, but the roof frame w/ PVC hoops needs to be put back together. The roof was doing OK, but there must have been a big gust.

All plants are OK. I have added more bamboo poles. 2 plants fell over in the flower house, but they are OK... I moved them to a more sheltered spot and tied them to the wall studs.

It's very rare for us to have high winds like this.

The roof blew off my veg house in high winds today! Possibly 50mph gusts. The plastic is OK, but the roof frame w/ PVC hoops needs to be put back together. The roof was doing OK, but there must have been a big gust.
oh no bad luck , hope its not to much work to repair , never a dull moment with mother nature
It's very rare for us to have high winds like this.
don"t u get tropicl storms ? take care :peace:

The roof is back together! There were some minor holes in the plastic, on the four corners... fixed with clear Gorilla tape. I'm scheming on some improvements... reinforce the uprights that hold the PVC hoops up, and add more snap clamps. I'm guessing what happened is that a big gust of wind caught the plastic like a sail and popped the snap clamps off from the perimeter. Then strong wind caught the flopping plastic and broke the uprights.

The father of cannabis research, Prof. Raphael Mechoulam, has died at the age of 92.

He was the first to isolate THC. He was also the first to isolate and describe the chemical structure of CBD. In 1980 he collaborated in a study which showed the effectiveness of CBD to treat epileptic seizures; however, the findings were largely ignored. It wasn't until 2013 that CBD's effectiveness to treat seizures was widely publicized by the revelation that young Charlotte Figi's untreatable seizures were almost completely eliminated by using a high-CBD strain of cannabis, Charlotte's Web. [ A tribute to Charlotte from the Stanley brothers who developed Charlotte's Web. ]

Thank you, Dr. Mechoulam! R.I.P.

1678779271089.png

I'm scheming on some improvements... reinforce the uprights that hold the PVC hoops up, and add more snap clamps.
The wind was back today, although not as strong. I've reinforced the uprights and added more snap clamps, on the veg house.

Flower house update... the GMG buds are developing, and the Blue Dreams are looking good, too. Leaf mold is fairly under control now with the peroxide, sunshine, and lots of breezy airflow. I have defoliated a lot, removing moldy leaves. Due to the wind, I had to move the BDs and tie them to the greenhouse wall studs. They are only in 5 gal pots which tend to tip over in the wind when dry.

Veg house update... As soon as the GMG and BDs are harvested, I can move more of the quest plants to the flower house: HI-BISCUS, Blue Widow, Blueberry. Also the CBDs... Sweet Critical and Seedsman 30:1. I recently planted the Grape Ape clone in a 6.5 gal pot, but she's got a long way to go before flowering. I've got some more cloning and up-potting to do in the near term.

Hey Growmies,

Here's some pics from yesterday...

The intense Hawaii sun has returned and the plants in the veg house are responding. Several plants here ready for the flower house, as soon as space opens up in there. Notice how tall the Blueberry is in the back. In the foreground, far left in the 6.5 gal pot is the Grape Ape top clone made from the mother that was lost due to damping off. I sprayed her for a mild case of aphids yesterday.
veg_house1.jpg

The Grape Ape clone (90% indica). Funny, doesn't look much like an indica! 🤔
grape_ape.jpg

A very slow-growing Blue Widow, indica-dominant pheno, in 5 gal pot.
blue_widow.jpg

Here's something strange... A DBL CBG sprout that's only a few inches tall, showing stigmas already?! There's 3 of these sprouts in the bunch... the others aren't doing this. Gotta be an autoflowering pheno, but this early? Wow... freaky!
DBL_CBG.jpg

The roof of the veg house, showing where I added the braces on the uprights that hold the 1" PVC hoops up. The contact point of the upright with the PVC is cut with a hole saw, making a semi-circular cradle. Paracord is wrapped around the tubing and tightly fastened to the 2x3 below.
veg_house2.jpg

Over in the flower house, here's my legacy CBG pheno slowly going into flower. I'm curious to see how this turns out, because she was in veg for a long time over-winter, and seems to be showing foxtailing.
CBG.jpg

One of the two Blue Dream hybrids now in flower, in 5 gal pots.
blue_dream.jpg

One of the two Green Mountain Grape sativas now in flower, in 6.5 gal pots.
GMG.jpg

Close-up of above. These colas are really starting to develop now. I'm hoping the clear skies continue... it'll make all the difference! ☀️
GMG_closeup.jpg

Supports look great...hope they do the trick!
A DBL CBG sprout that's only a few inches tall, showing stigmas already?! There's 3 of these sprouts in the bunch... the others aren't doing this. Gotta be an autoflowering pheno, but this early? Wow... freaky!
First one of my Le Creme CBG's turned out to be an auto and flowered pretty early (19 days maybe?), but that fast finish means earlier testing!

First one of my Le Creme CBG's turned out to be an auto and flowered pretty early (19 days maybe?), but that fast finish means earlier testing!
These are about 1 month old and have been growing for most of that time in low-light conditions. I wonder if CBG autos are notoriously fast.

Hey Growmies :ciao:

Last night I did some more research on mold-resistant strains.

I began by taking a closer look at a strain I have been considering trying out, which is a specific Purple Haze hybrid from Northern California. It has an amazingly high amount of myrcene in it... a whopping 20mg/g. In other words, the buds are 2% myrcene (I am waiting for confirmation on that). That's the highest percent of any single terpene I've seen so far, in any of the strains I've looked at. I also found out that the apparent limit on the terpene content of cannabis buds – meaning all terpenes in the buds combined – is about 3 percent. So... 2% of myrcene in this Purple Haze hybrid is amazing. How amazing? Consider Blueberry, which is well known to be mold-resistant. It contains a max of around 1% myrcene. Or Blue Dream, which may average about .8% myrcene. Marionberry Kush may have around 1.2% myrcene (from "legendary breeder" Subcool... it's known as one of the strains with the highest total terpenes).

Next, I looked at Bruce Banner – also known for being very mold resistant. BB has very high total terpene content, and myrcene appears to be the main terpene at around 0.3%... not really very high. BUT... one website says linalool content is 4%. Could that be true? I found that some websites are saying BB is myrcene dominant, while others say linalool dominant – perhaps due to the different phenos of BB. I concluded that BB #3 may be dominant in limonene and linalool, at about 0.5% each. What is typically called just "Bruce Banner" appears to be myrcene dominant at about 0.3%. (Here are my notes on Bruce Banner phenotypes.)

I got excited about the prospects of BB reaching 4% linalool, and imagined this was a possible super strain for mold resistance. BB is indeed regarded as one of the strains highest in total terpenes, but I couldn't confirm linalool as the magic bullet against mold. I did find, however, a scientific paper confirming that linalool is anti-fungal against Botrytis (bud rot).

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom