Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

In the veg house yesterday... overcast, warm and very humid. The veg plants are OK, but touch-and-go with the flowering plants... fingers crossed for no bud rot.
1675319213969.png

Greetings Ganja Gnomes,

1675674543382.png

Photo: Lori Harrison, Etsy

UPDATE:

The veg house is looking good. I tossed out some plants that didn't make the grade, like one of the Grape Apes that was suffering a bit too much from stem rot. That leaves one Grape Ape in 2 gal... not sure if it's going to be worth it, because it also has a bit of (inactive?) stem rot. But I also have 2 clones of the Grape Ape tops in the dome right now.

I also up potted 4 plants to 5 gal, and they're looking good: HI-BISCUS (2), Sweet Critical CBD (1), and Seedsman 30:1 CBD (1). In this last batch of recycled soil that I made, I included the silicon dioxide (powdered quartz) and the kelp meal. The current batch of 12 clones is looking good, but no sign of roots coming out the bottom of the pots yet... soon. As soon as I confirm the CBG clones have good roots, I'm ready to move the CBG mom to the flower house, and some other plants – much needed because the veg house is way too full right now.

I still haven't cloned the two GMG sativa males... I'm behind on that... I think tomorrow is the day. (This is in order to create a little "bonsai" plant so that it's easy to deal with the pollen and containment.) The red stem pheno still hasn't gone into flower, so I'm thinking it may have that equatorial sativa trait of being photosensitive. The green stem pheno is still trying to put out flowers, but I've been clipping them off, since I'm not ready to deal with the pollen yet.

The two GMG sativa females that I topped are getting tall in their 6.5 gal pots. The side branches have developed nicely.

In the flower house, I'm watching closely because the 4 plants are almost ready to harvest (PHOTOS): 2 CBD phenos and 2 Blue Dream hybrids. These are the ones I had a lot of PM problems with. I sprayed again today with peroxide solution... a bit stronger than I normally use at 8 fl oz 3% peroxide in 1/2 gal water. The plants are tolerating that no problem, and I'm spraying them down really well. On close inspection, I've seen only a very small amount of bud rot, which I've clipped out. I also carefully defol'ed today all dead and dying leaves, and leaves with dark mold spots. The buds on all plants are looking good, but buds and colas are small – that's OK and not surprising for this time of year.

CBD pheno #1. Trichome report: clear and partly cloudy with a slight chance of amber.
CBD_pheno_1.jpg

CBD pheno #9. Taken with my phone's macro lens, no tripod. This pheno is a bit more indica dominant. White flecks are residue from potassium citrate foliar spray some weeks ago.
CBD_pheno_9.jpg

Blue Dream hybrid from Humboldt. Nice sweet fragrance.
Blue_Dream_Hybrid1.jpg

Blue Dream hybrid. Difficult to get a good macro shot without my tripod.
Blue_Dream_Hybrid2.jpg

No luck with the willow bark Danni was using? CL🍀
Hey, Lucky ~ Haven't had time to try anything else, so just falling back on my trusty peroxide solution... bit more concentrated, 8 fl oz instead of 6 fl oz in 1/2 gal. I'm really liking the idea of aloe foliar spray... but for another time. ANYWAYS... this is supposed to be a quest for mold-resistant strains, so I'm focusing on that. These plants in the flower house right now are some of my legacy strains (clones).

Hey, Lucky ~ Haven't had time to try anything else, so just falling back on my trusty peroxide solution... bit more concentrated, 8 fl oz instead of 6 fl oz in 1/2 gal. I'm really liking the idea of aloe foliar spray... but for another time. ANYWAYS... this is supposed to be a quest for mold-resistant strains, so I'm focusing on that. These plants in the flower house right now are some of my legacy strains (clones).
I’m wishing you good luck and I’ll be dropping by to see how things go. CL🍀:goodluck::thumb:

Draught to induce stress and max out the cannabinoids.
OK... drought. As in lack of water. Draught is British speak for draft. 🤣

These over-winter girls have been through so much.... they are just leggy lollipops with small tops. I gave them their last water today.

Yeah... I'm not really into the extra work of doing the drought thing. Thanks for the tip, though.

These over-winter girls have been through so much.... they are just leggy lollipops with small tops. I gave them their last water today.

Yeah... I'm not really into the extra work of doing the drought thing. Thanks for the tip, though.
@Krissi Carbone has a thread devoted to it, lots of good info. CL🍀

:laughtwo: I thought it looked odd. But then I got used to seeing it that way. :rolleyes:

Greetings Growmies,

Regarding mold-resistant strains... I've done a bunch of research over the past few days, looking for available seed for strains with the following qualities:

✔️ high levels of myrcene (or already known to have high mold-resistance)
✔️ have blueberry or white widow genetics (both have high myrcene)

✔️ heavy resin production (also implies strong odor)
✔️ sweet, fruity odor
✔️ not a long flowering time
✔️ good yield
✔️ euphoric/happy effect

✔️ high THC

I looked for seed in each of the classifications: sativa, indica, 50/50 hybrid, and CBD. (For CBD I'm going for 20:1 more than the above criteria.)

I found 7 strains: 2 sativas, 1 indica, 2 50/50 hybrids, and 2 CBDs. All photos. All fem except for one of the sativas. I'll be ordering from 5 different seed banks, all in N. America. (I actually found some other really good ones, too, but decided on the 7 for now.)

The 7 all have the green check mark qualities, and one or both of the purple check marks (above). Of the 5 THC strains, 3 are advertised to produce at least 20% THC, one can reach 20%, and the last one 12-17%.

I'll spill the beans 🤣 once I have ordered the beans, received the beans, germinated them, and get some weedlings... a lot has to happen... you know how it is! I'm gonna order them probably in 3 batches, starting with 3 strains from True North.

wish me luck!

1667460962508.png
I know Dragons flame genetics are actually bred in Hawaii!
Maybe have a look at their stuff!

I still haven't cloned the two GMG sativa males... I'm behind on that... I think tomorrow is the day. (This is in order to create a little "bonsai" plant so that it's easy to deal with the pollen and containment.) The red stem pheno still hasn't gone into flower, so I'm thinking it may have that equatorial sativa trait of being photosensitive. The green stem pheno is still trying to put out flowers, but I've been clipping them off, since I'm not ready to deal with the pollen yet.
Taken care of today... the top and 2 side cuttings of the GMG red stem pheno now in my 2nd cloning dome. The 12 clones in the 1st dome are now starting to show roots out the bottom of pots. I also took a couple cuttings from the green stem pheno, but dunno if they will work out, because they may produce flowers before ready to plant. The domes are under night interruption lighting, so I think that will prevent the red stem pheno from flowering during cloning.

I also up potted 4 plants to 5 gal, and they're looking good: HI-BISCUS (2), Sweet Critical CBD (1), and Seedsman 30:1 CBD (1).
Here they are... foreground, left to right: HI-BISCUS, Sweet Critical, Seedsman 30:1, HI-BISCUS. On the far right are the tall GMG sativa males in 2 gal pots.
veg_house1.jpg

Close-up of the Sweet Critical CBD... I think she's indica dominant.
1675756004538.png

Blueberry freebie. She is now over 2 months old, recently transferred to 5 gal, and 4 ft tall (before I topped her today... cloning the cutting).
blueberry1.jpg

1st clone dome... they are almost ready to plant in soil. Roots starting to emerge out the bottoms.
clone_dome1.jpg

temp_humidity1.jpg

Taken care of today... the top and 2 side cuttings of the GMG red stem pheno now in my 2nd cloning dome. The 12 clones in the 1st dome are now starting to show roots out the bottom of pots. I also took a couple cuttings from the green stem pheno, but dunno if they will work out, because they may produce flowers before ready to plant. The domes are under night interruption lighting, so I think that will prevent the red stem pheno from flowering during cloning.

Here they are... foreground, left to right: HI-BISCUS, Sweet Critical, Seedsman 30:1, HI-BISCUS. On the far right are the tall GMG sativa males in 2 gal pots.
veg_house1.jpg

Close-up of the Sweet Critical CBD... I think she's indica dominant.
1675756004538.png

Blueberry freebie. She is now over 2 months old, recently transferred to 5 gal, and 4 ft tall (before I topped her today... cloning the cutting).
blueberry1.jpg

1st clone dome... they are almost ready to plant in soil. Roots starting to emerge out the bottoms.
clone_dome1.jpg

temp_humidity1.jpg
Really nice garden my friend 👍. I checked out that Dragon flame co. n the strains are specifically for your environment. CL🍀:goodjob::thumb::Namaste:

Just cause I haven't looked in a while! 🤣
Yeah, I already saw their website, thanks.

What I'm doing in this thread here is trying out a number of strains based on the criteria on the first page. Part of that is looking at the general idea that high-myrcene and high-resin may be keys to mold resistance.

Here's my checklist again:

✔️ high levels of myrcene (or already known to have high mold-resistance)
✔️ have blueberry or white widow genetics (both have high myrcene)
✔️ heavy resin production (also implies strong odor)
✔️ sweet, fruity odor
✔️ not a long flowering time
✔️ good yield
✔️ euphoric/happy effect
✔️ high THC

So, it's quite specific. Add to that my desire to find each of: indica-dominant, sativa-dominant, and 50/50. I'm not just looking for one strain. I acquired several strains, growing 'em out now:

• Green Mountain Grape, 90% sativa, from Green Mountain Seeds, by way of Ace Seeds
• Grape Ape, 90% indica, from Canuk
• Blue Widow, 50/50, from Canuk
• HI-BISCUS, 50/50, from Humboldt Seed Co.

I'm also on a budget... I was able to get the above in amounts of 3 or 5 seeds.

A side quest here is to try out some high-CBD strains that can hit at least 20% CBD (I am already growing some 10% phenos). So, I've got two of them and they're doing great so far: Sweet Critical CBD and Seedsman 30:1 CBD.

I've got on order now also Double Black Label CBG, which should produce around 20% CBG. The CBG I'm growing now comes in around 13%.

Back
Top Bottom