Landrace Genetics 101

Looks like the Punto Rojo from cannabiogen runs about 22 weeks. That tells me that it is real. My Crosses have run anywhere from 10 weeks to 15 1/2 weeks. The 15+ week ones could have run longer.

a 16 week flower time plant does give you some good smoke but 4 mo's flower tome ????????????

Whats crazier is that a lot of those equatorial landrace sativas also need longer veg times and generally don't like being photo manipulated. Much higher chances of inducing full on hermies. Many of them need to veg for 60-90 days before they are sexually mature enough to flower. Its one of the reasons that they tend to take so much longer to show pistils if you don't let them mature before flipping.

Flip side is trying to manage a strain with 16+ weeks flowering inside a tent after vegging it that long is dangerous. Its one of the reasons not a lot of people do them. Once I get into the 10'x10' I will try to keep one or two of these long flowering girls going at all times. I won't mind the long flower time.

On the other... other side, lol, "equatorial" sativas came from areas where the day/night lengths are closer to a constant 12/12 (it doesn't vary seasonally at the equator).

I wonder if the incidence of opposite-sex flowers actually ends up being less in those strains if they are kept under a constant 12/12 light schedule from germination to harvest? That's something I've never tried, though. In any case, I'd expect such a plant - under such a schedule - to end up being much larger than a hybrid or full-on indica because they evolved and/or became naturalized where there is never 14+ hours of daylight per 24.

As to wishing that things were different and flowering times were significantly shorter, well, most of us have, lol. But consider the fact that there are people in some parts of the world (equatorial zone) who prefer indicas but have trouble growing them outdoors locally, because they'll begin flowering way too soon.

We can manipulate such things indoors. For outdoors, though, it is good that there is a... variety of strains with different characteristics, because we do not all live at the same latitude.

Everything I grow runs 11 on and 13 off. To keep the Red Point crosses in check they must have their root size restricted and be supercropped multiple times. They will still dominate the canopy even with all that work. Final product is always worth my time.

Indoor you run them 13/11 in veg and 11/13 in bloom with 10/14 if you see that this still doesn't work. I'd cut the veg to minimum if space issues are plenty and go straight to bloom. It'll make little difference, but may help to keep her manageable, which is a breeze if you know how to lst, cause they love it. I had a Colombian Gold '72 3" tall :)

I'm growing these in a 32"x48"x60" tent, 11/13 from seed in purposely small containers. Topped once and supercropped each apical once to help the other two branches catch up. Then each of the four total were supercropped 3 more times, I think.
9 weeks from seed. I can only assume 6-8 weeks left.

They get droopy right around the time they show sex (21 days like clockwork). I believe this is due to the restricted roots????

One day I will grow a bunch out again and continue my search for the distinct Punto Rojo pheno and self her. Blah blah blah... stoned ramble-typing
:passitleft: Happy Saturday

I keep everything at about 18 inches height. In veg I do not let them get over a foot tall. Keep a white or blue light close to the plants and start supercropping as soon as they hit the height you want. I bend them over almost everyday during flower. If they stretch too much in veg they get bent over. Pinch and crush the stem, then bend it sideways or even below that.

The plants will grow sideways a bit and you have to do this as much as everyday during some periods, but it works. The stem will bounce back from the bend before long so you have to keep doing it. I have a small tent with a small 110 watt light and have to contain these ladies. Bend over! oooh la la!

Indoor you run them 13/11 in veg and 11/13 in bloom with 10/14 if you see that this still doesn't work. I'd cut the veg to minimum if space issues are plenty and go straight to bloom. It'll make little difference, but may help to keep her manageable, which is a breeze if you know how to lst, cause they love it. I had a Colombian Gold '72 3" tall :)

How about taking cuttings, rooting them, and immediately flowering those - as opposed to growing from seed with a flowering light schedule? I'd think you'd get some advantage in terms of less final height that way.

How about taking cuttings, rooting them, and immediately flowering those - as opposed to growing from seed with a flowering light schedule? I'd think you'd get some advantage in terms of less final height that way.
It may work if you take a clone in flower after the stretch? I dont know how all of the hormones and auxins and other words i dont understand, work.

It may work if you take a clone in flower after the stretch? I dont know how all of the hormones and auxins and other words i dont understand, work.

Actually, I meant taking one at any time after the mother is sexually mature and able to flower. Years ago, I tried to save both space and time by growing some random strain under 12:12 from day one and learned - DUH! ;) - that the plant still needed to go through a vegetative period, regardless of what its grower wished. I figure that, basically, all I ended up doing was costing it ~50% of its DLI until it started flowering (although I was flowering with stronger lights than I was using for the normal vegetative growth period, so that part was probably a wash, come to think of it).

I cannot order from them. My town doesnt exist according to their computerized ordering system.

(If you wish to order from that entity and) that is all that is stopping you, and...

i can soon grow up to 12 plants

...you can legally grow, then that thing, while undoubtedly annoying, shouldn't be a show-stopper. I just checked Cannabiogen's website, and they have a contact form, multiple email addresses, multiple voice telephone numbers, and a fax number listed. It appears that they really want people to be able to get in touch with them.

Whenever you notice something like that, that a business has some sort of error with its website sales routine that makes it impossible to order, always mention it - and always (politely) ask if they'll offer some kind of discount or extra merchandise for bringing that error to their attention. At worst, you're told that this isn't possible, and you might end up in contact with someone who realizes that any issue which causes them to not be able to easily sell to some portion of their potential customer base... is costing them money/profit, and decides to reward you for helping them deal with said issue. Who knows, if that entity happens to be a breeder, you might get offered something that hasn't been released for general consumption yet, because you have already shown a willingness to communicate with them and, therefore, might be more likely to give valuable feedback than a random customer. . . .

That Guerrero from Swami is some great shit. Maybe I got lucky with only growing one plant but it really shines. Great soaring effect with euphoria, decent strength. If he has any more to sell you might hit him up. Snow's Suroeste or Acapulco Gold x Michoacan is my favorite. He has one more pack left at Oregon or you can hit Snow up.

(If you wish to order from that entity and) that is all that is stopping you, and...

...you can legally grow, then that thing, while undoubtedly annoying, shouldn't be a show-stopper. I just checked Cannabiogen's website, and they have a contact form, multiple email addresses, multiple voice telephone numbers, and a fax number listed. It appears that they really want people to be able to get in touch with them.

Whenever you notice something like that, that a business has some sort of error with its website sales routine that makes it impossible to order, always mention it - and always (politely) ask if they'll offer some kind of discount or extra merchandise for bringing that error to their attention. At worst, you're told that this isn't possible, and you might end up in contact with someone who realizes that any issue which causes them to not be able to easily sell to some portion of their potential customer base... is costing them money/profit, and decides to reward you for helping them deal with said issue. Who knows, if that entity happens to be a breeder, you might get offered something that hasn't been released for general consumption yet, because you have already shown a willingness to communicate with them and, therefore, might be more likely to give valuable feedback than a random customer. . . .
Thanks for that, TS...never thought of that. Maybe I will call them...

Back
Top Bottom