Landrace Genetics 101

They look so delicate. Very whispy. One thing about African sativa is they don't have to look super frosty and somehow can still smash your face. I have been caught out a few times puffing away on what I thought was gonna be some lame herb. I've also smoked some frosty shiz that did nothing special. Go figure.
I've had similar experiences with Mexican landraces I've grown, @Lerugged -- zero frost, but so mindbendingly strong, it'd knock ya down, pick ya back up & chase ya 'round the block a few times. It ain't about the frost, apparently.

Grow on!

DJ Short once said the strongest strain he ever smoked only tested out at 12% thc.
I agree completely with this. One of my all time favorites is 14%. The manager at my local grow store has been growing for many years and he still talks about the best weed he's ever grown and it was an 8% blueberry headband. The dispensaries paid a premium for it. I think it's more about the combination of terpenes. I've tried the supposed 30% thc strains and was completely underwhelmed. My 14% strain got me a lot higher. It really sucks that most growers are just breeding towards the highest thc and not for effects. A lot of excellent strains get overlooked because they are below 20% thc. One of my most popular medical strains is only 3% thc and 8% cbd.

Little garden sativa
IMG_20190926_175217.jpg

Electric lady on left and Panama x original haze on right
IMG_20190926_175238.jpg

Electric lady
IMG_20190926_175347.jpg

Amnesia
IMG_20190926_175333.jpg

I don't want to downplay anybody, but I have to respectfully disagree about the terpene thing. If it were terpenes, could we not just add a terpene dropwise to our buds for a desired effect? I am not saying that they have no effects because science has shown that certain terpenes have specific effects. BUT, there are something like 80 different cannabinoids that have not been thoroughly researched, just identified. These cannabinoids could have psychoactive or medicinal effects just like THC and CBD. In fact, there are cannabinoids that are strain specific and may only found in certain strains grown in certain regions, Lebanon is a good example.

Then there is the synergystic effect....

I hope that federal legalization does not corrupt this beautiful plant. I hope we can learn more about what it has to offer because I am pretty sure we have only scratched the surface.

I don't want to downplay anybody, but I have to respectfully disagree about the terpene thing. If it were terpenes, could we not just add a terpene dropwise to our buds for a desired effect? I am not saying that they have no effects because science has shown that certain terpenes have specific effects. BUT, there are something like 80 different cannabinoids that have not been thoroughly researched, just identified. These cannabinoids could have psychoactive or medicinal effects just like THC and CBD. In fact, there are cannabinoids that are strain specific and may only found in certain strains grown in certain regions, Lebanon is a good example.

I hope that federal legalization does not corrupt this beautiful plant. I hope we can learn more about what it has to offer because I am pretty sure we have only scratched the surface.
The medicinal value for Me personally (Tourette syndrome) from the research I've done would most likely lie in THCV. Usually found in decent concentrations in African landraces . It could be something unknown but all I know is it does what a lot of chemical shit can't. Besides who wants to take that kak forever ?

I wouldn't downplay the terpes or dismiss them. I think what maybe would be more accurate of a statement would be to say the entourage effect. The cannabinoids in conjunction with terps and the rest of the plant matter we might not understand yet.

I will say that I pretty much dismiss the notion of simply adding terpenes, especially artificial (remember how well that synthetic THC worked out with SPICE?) and it being equal to a plants naturally produced terpenes and will give us the high we are looking for. I don't think we can ever make something artificial to replicate mother nature's natural stuff. But thats just my opinion.

Just curious, if you doubt that the terpes have anything to do with the some of those potent effects , but say in the same sentence that science has shown them to have specific effects...which is it? Is it just the ones that have been studied and "found" to have certain effects that you can buy off on? Wasn't it not long ago that "scientists" had studied and found cannabis was just bad for us? Science is like most other things.....it goes where money is.

And how does one truly measure the potency of weed if most of us are in agreement that its not simply the numeric value of the THC. And what makes the effects of indica vs sativa so different? Why can a Sativa at 19% have me out digging outdoors for hours without tiring while that same 19% in a Hindu Kush will have me snoring after I devoured everything in the house? The cannabinoid make up of the two were virtually identical.....but the terpene profiles were very different. Hmm....same cannabinoids, same THC values, drastically different effects, different terpenes.....:hmmmm:

Understanding the effects and why a plant at 15% THC can stomp a 25% plant into the dirt in terms of powerful high is difficult indeed. But here is the kicker.....everyone is different. What stomps your crank into the dirt weed wise might be drastically different than what does it for me. What does that mean?? I have friends that love strains of mine that I would rather not smoke cause its kind of bland to me. Then other friends that hate the sativas that I love.

That means each individual is a whole new variable into the weed equation. What effect you one way, might not do that at all to me.....in fact it might have a completely different effect all together. Nothing in the plant changed....but the effects on that individuals endo-cannabiniod system are very different.

But back to terpenes....there are plants out there now hitting 5,6, and reportedly 7% (Sour Pineapple by Annunaki Genetics) in terpes. That is by far the second largest % make up behind only the THC or CBD of those strains....I would certainly have a hard time dismissing them as not impacting the effects of the high perhaps even being a necessary catalyst . Or maybe is it lack of those terpenes that leave a high THC strain seeming like flatline high......:hmmmm:

Some cool things to think about huh Lazy? Please don't take this as me jumping on you bud, cause its not that at all....its all discussions and about learning and trying to understand things brother! Cheers!:passitleft:

It always amazes me. I've mixed 2 blah strains before and found a winner. Pass a joint of that same mix to a friend and nothing happened. Everyone is different.

:passitleft:
Yes sir! And how scientists/experts account for that.....well....... :hmmmm: ,

Boggles my mind how my neighbor (65 year old lifelong smoker) could smoke every sativa I had in my cabinet and kind of just shrug his shoulders and say "Ehh....they were ok" (and this included sharing some of the very limited Killer A5 Haze I had with him). Only to feed him every indica in my cabinet and have him love them all. "Awww yeah, thats good weed" he would say.

Didn't take much to figure out he was just an Indica fan. Dude wouldn't know a good sativa from a shitty one. But he loved some of the indicas I could have just as well thrown in the trash if I didn't use them in my topicals. So I give him my indicas that me or my generous friends don't care for and he lets me cut standing dead trees on his land. Win win!! Gotta love that everyone is different!

I have a bud like that too. Most indicas I smoke don't move the needle much for me, they are "mostly" the same for me. There are a few exceptions but I could just pick a couple indicas and grow them exclusively and be happy. The Sativas give me the most variation in highs and are my preferred choice of weed. When I find an exceptional sativa I like and share it with my bud he never gets the same feelings I do, he just says "yeah, it was a friendly buzz" which is code for it didn't knock my dick in the dirt (he did like the Killer though). Everyone is different for sure. I swear every strain I think is meh, he goes crazy for it. I've killed more plants that people have come back later and wanted more and couldn't believe I didn't keep the plant. :straightface:

Most of the people in my circle of friends don't care for sativa's either. But they love couch lock indicas :hmmmm: I attribute it to they are just used to smoking that type of erbs and anything else is deemed as weak or not worthy. I personally like all the different types of buzzes. They all have their place. I work a average of 50+ hrs a week so I can only blaze in evenings for the most part. That puts me in a 50/50 hybrids range most of the time. Strong sativa's for the days when I get the next day off. Sometimes they really wind me up and keep me up for long periods of time

I have a bud like that too. Most indicas I smoke don't move the needle much for me, they are "mostly" the same for me. There are a few exceptions but I could just pick a couple indicas and grow them exclusively and be happy. The Sativas give me the most variation in highs and are my preferred choice of weed. When I find an exceptional sativa I like and share it with my bud he never gets the same feelings I do, he just says "yeah, it was a friendly buzz" which is code for it didn't knock my dick in the dirt (he did like the Killer though). Everyone is different for sure. I swear every strain I think is meh, he goes crazy for it. I've killed more plants that people have come back later and wanted more and couldn't believe I didn't keep the plant. :straightface:
I keep looking for good indicas that I enjoy and so far Bubba Hash is the only one that's fine it for me. Still on the lookout.

Everyone seems to really like my sativas when they try them. They just don't have access to them and get used to the indica buzz and think that's what being high is.

Maybe that's the problem. I keep looking to get high from indicas instead of stoned.....
:ganjamon:

Everybody loves Bubba Hash, even my wife who usually goes for the vape and that means something... but I think you’d have a hard time selling it in the legal market in US, cause numbers are just not there!

Most of the people I know don’t care much what it is as long as it gets them stoned, but indicas are preferred tool of destruction when you start getting to the bottom of it.

Well typical smoker is an evening smoker, so relaxing high is a desires one. If folks could get high all day long, that would be a totally different story :)

Back
Top Bottom