Landrace Genetics 101

I have mine in 3/4 gal pots with fox farms and natural nutes. I flowered then revegged them so they are going crazy. No idea now how long. They refuse to grow. But the smoke is good so far. I will use bigger pots next time. I think the tap water I use causes mineral build up and problems but it is easy so no more distilled or other water. I will try to collect some rain water soon.
Gotcha.

That makes sense.

Do you have more seeds? If so I would love to give some pointers 🙏

*I use 5 gallon buckets and convert to SIP.
*Use Fox Farms Happy Frog, 1 1/4 bags will fill a 5 gallon SIP
*180 Watts full spectrum LED Lights
*Fox Farms Grow Big every other water until about 4 weeks into flower.
*Fox Farms Big Bloom & Tigers Bloom every other water from then out.

Flower took 22 weeks and branches were 5-6 feet long, I got 15 oz. Not a single grow from another seed since has come close.

@GPCannabis, I was watching your journal, thanks for that !

My plan is a little different, I top above the fourth node and remove the first.

Then I train sideways until the plant is about 24" wide.

Tonight the top knuckle is 5" high and she is about 20" wide at day 48.

This is likely the second to last training session and I will have to make a decision on how many branches to leave...

Thinking 14 ?

I usually flip to flower on day 50 but BAM #2 (helmut head) is eleven days behind so I may give her a bit more time.

She is 8" tall and 15" wide now at day 37. Will be interesting to see the difference between training/topping and left natural ! And flowering earlier !

My goal is not maximum yield but ease of trimming ;)

I grow for myself and don't like to spend more than a 1/2 hour wet trimming and another 1/2 hour bucking the buds off the branches.

27 Feb BAM day 48.jpg

Cheers
Hello 👋

I also only grow for myself.

I have grown 2 BAMS and topped at node 4, I got around 4-5 ounces from each plant then.

I remove fan leaves in phases during grow, I try to cut as many fans leaves as possible when they get to the point of creating shade over the plant below. Then by the time I am at harvest the only thing left is sugar leaves, cut the whole plant, hang upside down, quickly remove anything that needs to go, and I leave ALL sugar leaves on.

I started leaving sugar leaves on after my first BAM grow. Why? I manicured my buds, spent like 8 hrs on it…it was brutal. When the buds were still drying I started smoking the trim and I swear it was stronger than almost anything I had had up to that point. So now I just leave it in as it is loaded with cannabinoids.

I also am convinced that this plant being a landrace long growing sativa needs a longer Veg period. I am excited to see what you get and what you think.

✌🏻

Do you have more seeds? If so I would love to give some pointers 🙏

I have a pack of seeds from Seed Connect, Cora Seeds and Northcoast seeds. No more Seed Fair seeds. So many more 'BAM' plants coming up. I have no idea if these seeds are the same as the Seed Fair ones, but the Cora seeds look completely different. NorthCoast said his plants are thin leaves and he got the seeds from a guy in Europe. I asked him if they were the same as Seed Fair and it seems not.

how long did you veg before flip?

those leaves look very familiar 👌🏻
GP, I'll get to your question, but wanted to give an overview of my grow "techniques" as a comparison to what others have posted.

My soil (Pro-Mix HP, EWC, minerals) is Doc Bud's High Brix Mix. Doc's Nutes also. My lights are Fluence Spydr X, and ACInifities Iongrid T24. Once sprouted seeds go into either Solo's (in the case with this BAM) or straight to 1Gal. I usually skip Solos and go straight to 1s, but had a space issue.... I top between the 4 n 5 nodes, waiting for a good gap so I can leave a stump on the main stalk so it heals off properly. I'll tie the branches down as they lengthen keeping 4-6. I do two weeks of "germination" by which times there's 3-4 nodes, then veg is typically another 4 weeks, depending on plant size, I or S, etc. I do a major pruning at transplant into 7s. Then light pruning weekly. Once grow tips hit the edge of the pot I'll typically stake them, tie them off, and encourage straight up growth. Day 21 of switch they get their final major pruning leaving 3-6 nodes above where they attach to the stake. I also do a defoliation of major fans. From then on its cutting off suckers, leaves blocking bud sites, etc. I work to keep the center of the plant open so light hits the soil as well as getting more light to the inner buds. I've found this method keeps plants accessible for pruning, feeding, inspecting, etc. And, I'd rather trim 4-6 large colas with big buds than a gazillion smaller colas/buds. Like many, I grow for quality rather than quantity. I typically get around 4 oz per plant.

To answer your question about vegging BAM:
• seed went into solo on 1/7
• seed was above ground on 1/11 (+4 days)
• Tp'ed to 1G on 1/28 (+17 days)
• Tp'ed to 7 G on 2/17 (+21 days)
• Today, 2/28 is Flower week 2-Day +11, 53 days from seed.

So I germinated for two weeks and vegged for 3, or some would say, vegged for 5 weeks.

Here's a couple of pics from this morning. Compare them to my previous pics taken on Sunday.

BAM F2-D11 side.jpeg
BAM F2-D11 top.jpeg

I also am convinced that this plant being a landrace long growing sativa needs a longer Veg period. I am excited to see what you get and what you think.
I have no doubt the "breeders/sellers" estimates are just that but they do say it is a medium sized plant that flowers in 105 days or 15 weeks ;)

Can't see it finishing a full month earlier than the Malawi x Panama cross !

It will take what it takes :bongrip:

Cheers

GP, I'll get to your question, but wanted to give an overview of my grow "techniques" as a comparison to what others have posted.

My soil (Pro-Mix HP, EWC, minerals) is Doc Bud's High Brix Mix. Doc's Nutes also. My lights are Fluence Spydr X, and ACInifities Iongrid T24. Once sprouted seeds go into either Solo's (in the case with this BAM) or straight to 1Gal. I usually skip Solos and go straight to 1s, but had a space issue.... I top between the 4 n 5 nodes, waiting for a good gap so I can leave a stump on the main stalk so it heals off properly. I'll tie the branches down as they lengthen keeping 4-6. I do two weeks of "germination" by which times there's 3-4 nodes, then veg is typically another 4 weeks, depending on plant size, I or S, etc. I do a major pruning at transplant into 7s. Then light pruning weekly. Once grow tips hit the edge of the pot I'll typically stake them, tie them off, and encourage straight up growth. Day 21 of switch they get their final major pruning leaving 3-6 nodes above where they attach to the stake. I also do a defoliation of major fans. From then on its cutting off suckers, leaves blocking bud sites, etc. I work to keep the center of the plant open so light hits the soil as well as getting more light to the inner buds. I've found this method keeps plants accessible for pruning, feeding, inspecting, etc. And, I'd rather trim 4-6 large colas with big buds than a gazillion smaller colas/buds. Like many, I grow for quality rather than quantity. I typically get around 4 oz per plant.

To answer your question about vegging BAM:
• seed went into solo on 1/7
• seed was above ground on 1/11 (+4 days)
• Tp'ed to 1G on 1/28 (+17 days)
• Tp'ed to 7 G on 2/17 (+21 days)
• Today, 2/28 is Flower week 2-Day +11, 53 days from seed.

So I germinated for two weeks and vegged for 3, or some would say, vegged for 5 weeks.

Here's a couple of pics from this morning. Compare them to my previous pics taken on Sunday.

BAM F2-D11 side.jpeg
BAM F2-D11 top.jpeg
EDIT: I responded to the wrong person about the wrong BAM plant! I confused your grow with another. Sorry!

Cant figure out how to delete so just going to leave everything below ✌🏻

Hello 👋

Incredible process 🤙🏻

From reading the first thing that went through my head was:

This is a landrace sativa from africa with a 6 month life span. I have grown several and letting the plant veg until it naturally shows pistils is 2 1/2 - 3 months. The fastest BAM i have grown was 5 months, the grow that gave 1 lbs was just under 6 months.

My first thought as to them being stumpy and short:

They did not have nearly enough veg time. You are at day 53 and flower started 2 weeks ago? So flower was a “flip” not “pistils showing”, at day 30.

The 10”-12” or flip at day 30 doesnt really apply to a plant that needs 90-110 days of veg.

BAM is not a fast turner, there are plenty of other fast growth plants for that. Try another but let the plant have more veg time, let it mature, the plant will grow 6 + feet tall if you let it.

✌🏻

I have no doubt the "breeders/sellers" estimates are just that but they do say it is a medium sized plant that flowers in 105 days or 15 weeks ;)

Can't see it finishing a full month earlier than the Malawi x Panama cross !

It will take what it takes :bongrip:

Cheers
yeah, thats one thing that i find is not correct at all on BAM. 20-22 week flowering period. thats a long season!

yeah, thats one thing that i find is not correct at all on BAM. 20-22 week flowering period. thats a long season!
I think we may be comparing apples and oranges @GPCannabis ;)

Same strain but different lights, medium, feed, techniques and experience....

Lots of variables !

Flowering time for my Malawi was 96 days > 13.7 weeks
Golden Tiger went 103 days > 14.7 weeks
Wild Thailand went 109 days > 15.6 weeks

All with a veg time of 50 days before flip to flower...

Cheers

I think we may be comparing apples and oranges @GPCannabis ;)

Same strain but different lights, medium, feed, techniques and experience....

Lots of variables !

Flowering time for my Malawi was 96 days > 13.7 weeks
Golden Tiger went 103 days > 14.7 weeks
Wild Thailand went 109 days > 15.6 weeks

All with a veg time of 50 days before flip to flower...

Cheers
100% 🤣

I think i am responding to the right person now…i think…

I was confusing a couple different BAM grows, then looked at pics after reading and responding and was like, “wait…what???” 🤣

I am flowering 5 Black African Magic plants from seed fair. All are stunted and less than a foot tall, one might be a foot tall. I also ordered the BAM from NorthCoast seeds, seed connect and Alpine seeds or Cora Genetics to be exact. I took some dead fan leaves off the plants and rolled a doob. Good high from a few tokes and repeated it a few times over several hours. Could be spacy right after toking. So pretty happy that lower fan leaves can do that. Some posters over at thcfarmer were talking about how crappy the BAM from seed connect was so this stuff is not hay and that was a concern.

The Cora seeds look different than all the rest and the Northcoast seeds are supposed to produce thin leaves according to the owner there. No idea if seed fair and seed connect are the same thing. This stuff I smoked is a good high and if smoking buds, I think could be very trippy as the fan leaves are somewhat getting me there. Who knows, I may acquire tolerance any day now.

Comedown from this high is not bad and no crash but I am feeling pretty lazy now after several sessions earlier. High is not the super clear lysergic type but has some of that trip feeling and is not too jittery. Hard to figure it all out with fan leaves but it is coming along.
How is the BAM grow going?

Are they still stunted?

Yeah, ^^ tiny plants. I have been pulling dead leaves off and smoking them. It is a good high, kind of a hybrid high at this point. After smoking I often have munchies and feel a bit tired on the comedown. Not what I was expecting. I think all the BAM varieties I have are different.

Then there is also the Congo I got from East Africa Genes. Have not run that yet.

Yeah, ^^ tiny plants. I have been pulling dead leaves off and smoking them. It is a good high, kind of a hybrid high at this point. After smoking I often have munchies and feel a bit tired on the comedown. Not what I was expecting. I think all the BAM varieties I have are different.

Then there is also the Congo I got from East Africa Genes. Have not run that yet.
How long did you germinate them?

Germ? I put them into dirt when the tail gets maybe an inch long. Paper towels. I vegged them a few weeks and then flowered them, changed my mind and put them back into veg. I may have seeds from all the stress, can not tell right now.

Curious if the Congo from E Africa is trippy?
man i am losing my mind 😂

i meant to say Veg them not Germinate them, sorry.

So you flipped to 12/12 after only a few weeks?

Do you have any more BAM seeds?

I might have vegged them 5 weeks the first time and lost track of it after I flowered them the first time. I have no more Seed Fair BAM seeds but have BAM or what they call BAM seeds from 3 other sources. I may be getting hermie seeds from the current Seed Fair plants, it looks like it. All the stress I put them thru it is not surprising.

EDIT: I responded to the wrong person about the wrong BAM plant! I confused your grow with another. Sorry!

Cant figure out how to delete so just going to leave everything below ✌🏻

Hello 👋

Incredible process 🤙🏻

From reading the first thing that went through my head was:

This is a landrace sativa from africa with a 6 month life span. I have grown several and letting the plant veg until it naturally shows pistils is 2 1/2 - 3 months. The fastest BAM i have grown was 5 months, the grow that gave 1 lbs was just under 6 months.

My first thought as to them being stumpy and short:

They did not have nearly enough veg time. You are at day 53 and flower started 2 weeks ago? So flower was a “flip” not “pistils showing”, at day 30.

The 10”-12” or flip at day 30 doesnt really apply to a plant that needs 90-110 days of veg.

BAM is not a fast turner, there are plenty of other fast growth plants for that. Try another but let the plant have more veg time, let it mature, the plant will grow 6 + feet tall if you let it.

✌🏻
GP, you obviously have more experience with BAM than I do. I decided to try this strain (from TheSeedFare) for two reasons: 1) people's exp. with the quality of the high and 2) because it was advertised as 100% Sativa with a flowering time of 6-8 weeks, medium height - 3-4'. Now, we all know about "marketing", but their website today still lists the seeds the same, and yes, I know 6-8 weeks flowering for a 100% Sativa doesn't make sense, but... So, I thought it was worth a try.

You said "They did not have nearly enough veg time" and that they need "90-110 days of veg." Did you mean the plants wouldn't get big enough? To flower? To produce a good harvest? I flip to flower based on sex showing, calendar constraints, etc, not on "pistils showing." I purposely do so to keep the plants small (I don't have the head room for a 6' plant). And, I don't need a 1lb harvest.

I'm not challenging your experience/knowledge of BAM. As has been mentioned, there is more than one seed store selling what is being called Black African Magic. Some are listed as Indicas, others Sativas. I think it's great that there are a number of us growing BAM so that we can learn from each other which ones perform the best, etc.

I am very pleased with the plant I have. In the five days since I last posted w/pics, my plant has grown about 7" and flowers are showing/developing nicely. Here's some pics from today-day 58 from seed. Let's keep the conversation going!

IMG_3162.jpeg
IMG_3163.jpeg
IMG_3159.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom