LED CFL Coco Vs Soil

Yea it is but I've witnessed the true power and usage of one. Jon705 has a journal going using them. They are worth the money from what I see.

I have been looking at LED lights for about 4 months now. All the manufacturers with the BS my light is the best, we use cree, bridgelux etc, really done my head in. So I thought I would check out LED journals, only to find that most of the guys writing them were in fact sponsored by said company's. I gave up looking after that. I will say that if Jon is not a rep or getting discount for doing his journal then I might look into them once again. I do fancy using them as they are serious stealth and cheaper on the electric, but its money wasted if it's all marketing hype. I'm looking forward to seeing how LEDRF lights perform. I'm subbed now mate :)

Jolly, well, I can tell you for sure that the Chinese Manufacturing company gives me jack squat for doing this journal.

I can tell you that even with 12,600 lumes of CFLs, with a proper reflector, bouncing all the upward light back down onto the plant, they work worth crap. If you grow with pure CFLs, don't expect much growth. Actually, though, if you want smaller plants, it might be worth vegging in cfl then flowering in hps/led.

That way you can do the full 4 weeks of veg because you can't really force flowering until they are ready. Sure, you could put them into 12/12 after only 2 weeks of veg, but they will not really start flowering until about week 4 anyway. So you might as well wait for preflowers before flowering. Just some thoughts I am having out loud here.

Just out of curiosity how do you know they are top of the line? Not doubting what you say at all, but I have read a lot of problems with LED's from china*touch wood*, and there prices are excellent, along with the free delivery for to my area... By some what, the best shop I have come across.

Thanks a lot for you quick reply, hope your grow goes well for you, looks set to indeed! I'll be watching it till the count :)

Trill, I cannot be sure they are as good as, say DS, as I have never used them, but it looks to have real 3watt diodes, etc. The light output is amazingly bright. I will be testing it with a luxmeter soon. I know the lumes aren't super important for an LED, but there is a brightness to be expected from a good LED light. The 1 watt diode ones aren't going to produce as many lumes.

We will have to see how the plant comes out that is under the led to see for sure if it is a quality led lamp.

I have been looking at LED lights for about 4 months now. All the manufacturers with the BS my light is the best, we use cree, bridgelux etc, really done my head in. So I thought I would check out LED journals, only to find that most of the guys writing them were in fact sponsored by said company's. I gave up looking after that. I will say that if Jon is not a rep or getting discount for doing his journal then I might look into them once again. I do fancy using them as they are serious stealth and cheaper on the electric, but its money wasted if it's all marketing hype. I'm looking forward to seeing how LEDRF lights perform. I'm subbed now mate :)

I seen alot of grows with these LED lights and I pay attention to what they produce how how they work. OMM was using the same LED lights here on this journal and they did a great job. Hes a great grower though. And the ones Jon is using as shown his LED lights put out way more bud production and such a short time. Thats the proof im looking for. The way they perform will sell its self.

I have been looking at LED lights for about 4 months now. All the manufacturers with the BS my light is the best, we use cree, bridgelux etc, really done my head in. So I thought I would check out LED journals, only to find that most of the guys writing them were in fact sponsored by said company's. I gave up looking after that.

:bravo:

Amen to that, so true jollyjonny, this has been happening to me for the last 4 years, although now I feel as though they have advanced some-what and are at a price were if there is still a gamble it isn't a big one for me. However a lot of the people sponsored on here, are testing the product out for us, yes they write home good things about it, but they get grilled enough by others for people to tell which has gone well and which hasn't, just my opinion, but like you said, it really does your head in when you have spent a long time reading, only to have to ponder the information from other angle's.

So, I'm more than likely ordering from the above company, and will start my journal during at the start of next month, I'll write the link on here for you guys at the time :high-five:

It won't deter me from ordering, but its a shame that website doesn't do sets of 3 in the smaller lights and not just the big one's, as I'd like more lights over a more powerful one I think, just in case something happened to one of them, the others could still work there magic!

Planning on growing 4 or 6 plant's, 4*4 tent, which of the lights would you suggest for the job? We talking the 300W or the 600W here in your opinion? or same as usual, the more the better for the plant's! money isn't an object when it comes to this really, I wont be increasing the size grow over time though, so I wont need an upgrade anytime soon.

Cultivator, you might be onto something, but I think those are the same signs for K as well. A few leaves have the red/purple in the veins. Here is a pic. Just in case, I fed her with 1 tsp of gal mag+ with one gallon of water, plus a tsp of liquid seaweed.

redveins.jpg

In the pic, the color looks more brown, but in real life, it looks purple, with reddish highlights where bright light hits it.

Trill, for my next grow, in my 4x4 tent, I am only going to grow one to two large plants. The other space I will veg and clone much smaller plants. I will be doing White Widow autos.

When I do another none auto straign, I will also only grow 1-2 plants in the 4x4 area because of what I've seen people do with LST. When those same people tried to grow 6-9 plants in the same area, with 1 400 or 600w hps, they didn't get as big a yield as when they grew 1 or two plants under the same light.

When only growing 1-2 plants under 1 light, they yielded a bit over a pound.

It seems like when you grow 6 plants in a 4x4 area, you only get about 3oz per plant.

Thanks again.

I think that is what I'll start with then, two big plants, and one or two auto's in there just if my main ladies don't happen to adapt to the conditions, any experience is highly valued. How much would you estimate from an auto - 30-40 grams?

Although, 18oz is slightly more than the estimated 16 from 2 plants, but work included a lot less maintenance time for your yield!

I'm inclinded to think that a 300W light would be enough for two plant's, but tempted to get a 400W and see the results, surely slightly better and not too powerful!?

That girl is in pure coco cut with rocks that act similar to hydroton. I ph the water at 6.0. I added lime to the coco when I mixed it so that the ph would always be good and so it would have the added cal mag. I also sprayed with K, which is the liquid seaweed, for foiler feeding. Will see what that does after 2-3 days.

I started a new youtube channel to show updates that way as well as covering things I know and have learned. I will also be posting DIY videos that pertain to marijuana growing.

I haven't told my 20,000+ youtube subscribers from my drawing/painting tutorial channel yet. I am sure a good portion of them will be interested in growing marijuana.

Not sure if the purple will go away this time. The Northern Lights are also starting to show purple in the stems, but the White Widows and the Lucy are all green. All are being fed the same. In fact, one of the WWs are in coco like the Mendo Purp.

TEST:

So I got my lux meter and did a few test. Surprisingly, the LED I got gets 75,000 lux at 6 inches away, and around 50,000 at 8 inches away. A foot away it drops badly to about 22,000.

A single 200w CFL gets about 20,000 at an inch away, and believe it or not, it runs cool enough that I have it an inch away from a bud site, and no burning. Been there for days. At about 6-8 inches away, the 200w even with a round metal reflector only has 6-9,000 lux. You want 50,000-100,000 ideal at top of canopy.

However, the DIY CFL hood isn't so bad. At 6 inches away, which is what I keep it at, 35,000 lux. To get 50,000 lux, I need to be within 1-2 inches. Close enough for that one to cause burns. I've tried it. So the safe area is 35,000 to 40,000 lux, but the footprint at that lux is only about 1.5x1.5 feet. Not too bad I guess.

The foot print of the LED at 8 inches away is about 1.5x1.5 as well.

THe CFL hood holds better lux the further you get to the side than the LED. CFL as you move out of the 1.5 foot range, drops slowly to 20,000 at 2 feet away. The LED drops to practically nothing at about 3,000 lux.

Once my HPS arives, I will do tests with it.

Back
Top Bottom