LED CFL Coco Vs Soil

H-factor, us both. So far, the LED isn't doing that well for veg. Not much growth vertically, but some decent bushing.

My thoughts on smart pots so far

I don't like them. They don't drain worth crap. Before I cut holes in the bottom, they drained soooo slow. Took an hour to see if I got 25 percent run off. Now that they have pencil sized holes in the bottom, they drain pretty quickly. I prefer plastic pots with the holes at the bottom. I still stack them on the railroad tracks, though, so air gets to the bottom.

I want to try to grow in a 6.5 gal or 3 gal air-pot next grow.

I have been looking at LED lights for about 4 months now. All the manufacturers with the BS my light is the best, we use cree, bridgelux etc, really done my head in. So I thought I would check out LED journals, only to find that most of the guys writing them were in fact sponsored by said company's. I gave up looking after that. I will say that if Jon is not a rep or getting discount for doing his journal then I might look into them once again. I do fancy using them as they are serious stealth and cheaper on the electric, but its money wasted if it's all marketing hype. I'm looking forward to seeing how LEDRF lights perform. I'm subbed now mate :)
I bought my lights outright(full price) after doing months of research on led lighting.After Fero saw what I was doing with them they offered to sponsor me,they are a newer company and want somebody that knows what they're doing to show people what they can do.Mr Blue Goo was going to be that guy until he ripped them of for cash and lights.he did some kind of contest with a free light for first prize and didnt give the winner the light and now wont even answer Fero's e-mails.Just about all led chips are made in china.doesnt matter if its a Canadian led Company or an American company they buy the chips in China and manufacture theyre lights wherever they're from and call them American made or Canadian made...wether they want to admit it or not.Fero was up front about that right from the get go with me.they are an honest company that stands behind they're product 100%.they are uping the 90 day moneyback guarantee to 120 days so you can do a full grow from seed and still return them if you dont like them and they have a full lifetime warranty. as far as I can tell there isnt another led company doing that.

Your grows speak for themselves. they obviously work very well.

Do you have any problems with the distance the lights need to be away from the plants, I think I read with these lights they need to be up high, what height are your ceilings m8.

yes they are way to close to the canopy even with movers.with these lights they recomend starting the plants 48 inches from the plants and let them grow up as they get used to the intensity.heres an e-mail I got yesterday from Fero about the new lights they want to sponsor me with and some info on the ones I have now.pretty interesting stuff when they compare mine to a 1000w hps.

Available specs:

Fixture size: 13" x 22" x 2.75"
36pcs 5900k x 3.3v x 550mA
36pcs red+deep red 620-670nm x 2.4v x 550mA
73° optics
Flowering spectrum: 5900k, red+deep red 620-670nm
Flowering mode power consumption: 145w
Veg spectrum: 5900k
Veg mode power consumption: 85w
Flowering mode PAR: 12" below center = 1068 Umol'/s
Veg mode PAR: 12" below center = 664 Umol'/s
Coverage: Up to 2x3
Retails for $495 each
Quantity discounts will be available for multiple units purchased together

Additional info not included above:

Switches: 1 switch to engage the flowering spectrum (Need to find out about the on/off switch or Veg switch hang tight)

The new light covers 5-6 sq ft best if used at recommended heights.
(when you use our recommended heights of 18"-24", you'll get the
advertised coverage and also have the ideal PAR of 600-800 Umol'/s at
the plant tops)

The 600 covers 10-18 sq ft if used at the recommended heights of 24"-36".

So, yes 3 units will be equal (actually better) than 1 of the 600's. I
would say 2 & 1/2 units = 1 of the 600's.

The PAR of a 1000w HPS is about 1200 Umol'/s 12" below its center, and covers a 4x4 area.

The PAR of the AF-600 is 1883 Umol'/s at 12" below its center and then it will only cover a 3x3 area, but at 24" above the canopy, there is 1077 Umol'/s and has a coverage of beyond 4x4, with more PAR at the edges of a 4x4 than a 1000w HPS.

The ideal PAR for a flowering plant is 800 Umol'/s, and the light needs 28" between it and the plants to be @ 800. At that height it covers 52x52. A light mover will only make the coverage better from there.
mine lights are the a/f 600's,they have 4 switches for different stages of growth,at full veg they only draw 300 watts so lots of savings.Im planning on getting 12 of the new lights and getting rid of the movers,that works out to a little over 4000watts of led and im expecting 10-12 pds a grow with that 4000+ watts.

u are def getting me on the coveted list like mate. i trust u are doing it ur way and not for the sponsor. would be really disappointed to find out different, but from our conversations i think u are genuine and i'll believe that till proven different!

Ive thought for a while leds will get there over hps for a few reasons but from what ive seen, i didnt think they were there yet. however i think u are showing they are there, u just need to find the right led AND know how to grow! and thats the thing, alot of led grows i have seen are by growers with only a grow or few behind them. if they havent mastered hps they wont have mastered led first time around either.

Ive just purchased 2 1000w digi ballasts, hps bulbs and mh bulbs at a cost of £580, so around $1000. it'll cost fair bit to run them for the grow also and i replace bulbs after every grow so more cost. id love a product with a life time guarantee that doesnt cost me $$$$$$$. I actually dont mind paying more at the initial purchase if the product works like its says it does, but often they dont.

bottom line is i can see the potential of leds, im not fully converted yet but i will be willing to trial it in the future. In the mean time let ur buds be dense brother!

Yeah, Fero seems like a ligit company. I talked to a rep on the phone from Canada. Cool guy. He sent me to the site that sells for them.

The prices aren't that bad either.

UPDATE: I am giving the girls their second treatment of sulphur burning, just to be sure the PM stays gone. One White Widow still has some leaves with it, and a few leaves here and there show signs of it, but after just one treatment, there was a huge difference.

So one of the Northern Lights I have been LST, I will show picks. I think it has 22 tops now or something. It is going to be a monster. She might take up all the tent. I am going to try to keep her to just half of it.

nah bro,Fero wants me to do videos for them to get they're lights out there.when I bought them I started doing videos myself just because I wanted to,when Fero saw them and what I was doing with they're lights they aproached me.I dont mind doing vids for them because they're lights rock!its not even a sponsorship they are giving me the lights up front on a payment plan in exchange for videos to promote they're new lights.it would have been quite awhile before I could afford them with my new build coming up so it was a win win for both of us,they get publicity from my vids and I get to double my yield and get this build done a hell of alot quicker.No way I was turning that deal down lol

Jon, they doubled your yeild from using what lights and how many of them before? I imagine nothing changed but the lights. Not atmosphere, amount of plants, stress training, nutes, etc.

So the northern lights were already topped twice, and so had 4 tops. I did some LST on one of them and now I have 25 tops. I could get more, but I think it will be a moster as is once flowers.

Here is a photo.

NL-tops.jpg

Right now I am training her by directing light to the smaller tops. So far, she has only been exposed to the LED. Tops 1, 3, 25, and 15 are her original 4 tops she had when I got her. After bending them down, and directing light onto what used to be very tiny to-be bud sites, they grew pretty big. They are almost cought up, so I guess the LED works okay so far.

So I am battling both spider mights and PM that came with the clones I bought. They were raised in a green house, outside. That is the downside of buying clones. Oh well. The sulphur is working well so far. Just finished the second burning.

I think in the next day or so, I am going to wash the plants well, then spray with floramite, then get ready for 12/12.

I might have to ditch a few plants because I think that 25 top monster is going to take up at least half the tent. She already takes up a quarter if it.

The first time I watered with nutes was on 1-4-13.

FEEDING

I fed again today, four days after their first nute feeding. I fed each one a gallon. This time I fed them a full dose of floramicro (1tsp per gallon), 1tsp per gallon liquid seaweed, 1tsp per gallon floreblend, 1tsp per gallon cal mag+, .75 tsp per gallon floragrow, and .75 tsp per gallon flora bloom.

Came to 900ppm, and 6.3ph. I watered soils first, then lowered ph to 5.8 and watered the two cocos, White Widow, Mendo Purp.

The reason I gave them both floragrow and florabloom in equal parts is that is what is recommended on the bottle for regular veg growth. Well actually, 1tsp per gallon is recommended, equal parts of both for regular veg. I went a bit less than that for now. Slowly bumping the ppms up.

Jon, they doubled your yeild from using what lights and how many of them before? I imagine nothing changed but the lights. Not atmosphere, amount of plants, stress training, nutes, etc.
I havent got the lights yet bro,im doubling the lights in my current journal and getting rid of the light movers so there wont be a dark spot in that room.theres 2 plants right in the middle of the screen that are twice the size of the rest because they catch the delay from the movers twice.that was enough for me to decide to get more lights:)

I tried to find that one led grow. All I saw was 2lbs. How much did you get off the first led grow with 4 600w?

Did it exceed the 6lbs with the 4 hps?
nope i only got 60 oz that round because my feeding chart was wrong and I had all kinds of ph issues because i had no clue how to grow with led's and one of my main timers was defective and turning 2 of the big lights on in the middle of the dark period for an hour and a half. pics are at the biggining of my current journal.this grow im hoping for 6 pounds but might not get it because of the gaps in the screen.Im adding 5 more buckets next round so there wont be an empty square in the room:)

Jon, so my main question is, how do you know the 600w leds are comparable to 1000 hps, when with the 4 1000w you got 6lbs, but haven't done so yet with 4 600w leds? Do you believe it's possible to get 6lbs with just 4 600w leds?

If you use a total of 7 600w leds, you will be pulling the same amount of power as the 4 1000w hps.

Ive been growing long enough to make a fairly acurate guess and this round is night and day alot better im lucky they didnt hermie last round with the timer issues but we will find out for sure in 6 weeks.heres an e-mail I got from the designer of my 600's and the new ones im getting check out the comparison to a 1000w hps.the 600's arent just a replacement they are better.Im still learning the differences of growing with led's but im very confident that my next grow will produce 8-9pds with 3560 watts.\
Available specs:

Fixture size: 13" x 22" x 2.75"
36pcs 5900k x 3.3v x 550mA
36pcs red+deep red 620-670nm x 2.4v x 550mA
73° optics
Flowering spectrum: 5900k, red+deep red 620-670nm
Flowering mode power consumption: 145w
Veg spectrum: 5900k
Veg mode power consumption: 85w
Flowering mode PAR: 12" below center = 1068 Umol'/s
Veg mode PAR: 12" below center = 664 Umol'/s
Coverage: Up to 2x3
Retails for $495 each
Quantity discounts will be available for multiple units purchased together

Additional info not included above:

Switches: 1 switch to engage the flowering spectrum (Need to find out about the on/off switch or Veg switch hang tight)

The new light covers 5-6 sq ft best if used at recommended heights.
(when you use our recommended heights of 18"-24", you'll get the
advertised coverage and also have the ideal PAR of 600-800 Umol'/s at
the plant tops)

The 600 covers 10-18 sq ft if used at the recommended heights of 24"-36".

So, yes 3 units will be equal (actually better) than 1 of the 600's. I
would say 2 & 1/2 units = 1 of the 600's.

The PAR of a 1000w HPS is about 1200 Umol'/s 12" below its center, and covers a 4x4 area.

The PAR of the AF-600 is 1883 Umol'/s at 12" below its center and then it will only cover a 3x3 area, but at 24" above the canopy, there is 1077 Umol'/s and has a coverage of beyond 4x4, with more PAR at the edges of a 4x4 than a 1000w HPS.

The ideal PAR for a flowering plant is 800 Umol'/s, and the light needs 28" between it and the plants to be @ 800. At that height it covers 52x52. A light mover will only make the coverage better from there.

Back
Top Bottom