LED in the VipersNest

things are not well..the thread is dead for the moment....."act of God" reasons....not the lamps fault and not my own...details are in the continuous thread......sorry to disapoint but its not thru lack of effort

That suck man.

I went to that site as Im pretty interested in a 180 watt but there on back order for now not that I have the cash yet anyways. I might just wait till they start using the 10 watt leds those will be pricey lol.

Must be selling plenty then but damn that website is annoying I dont base my buying decisions on good site design but alot of people do if hes doing good he should get it looked at by someone in the know.

lets give it another go...not a dedicated LED grow due to there is wash under the HPS but I thought it should be used....these plants are 1 week in flower
013226.JPG

011262.JPG

015181.JPG

016163.JPG

017152.JPG

019117.JPG

020109.JPG

03643.JPG

Hey Pit,

Cool to see the LED in there with the HPS, It be cool to see if you see any difference in yield and quality between the plants directly under the hps and led. So how are things coming along?

Glad to be here enjoying the conversation. Those white hairs look very promising! I'll be following their progress through curing...

Ty Palmer :

Hi Pitviper my name is Stan and I live in Taiwan and Iv been following your log regarding growing with led lights. The reason I am writing to you is to ask for some advice . As I mentioned I live in Taiwan and I am Canadian and my wife is Taiwanese and her father owns a factory in China manufacturing LED lighting systems and I am trying to convince him to possibly manufacture some LED lights for growing. After reading many forums and visiting many websites that are selling led lighting I have come to these conclusion 1. These lighting systems don't stand up to what they claim they can do. 2. Most lights are way to expensive and 3. They just are not powerful enough to replace HPS lighting. First and foremost I am not an engineer and have no experience with electronic lighting equipment but I do have access to it ( my father in law and his factory ) and I do see a great future in led lighting for the purpose of growing. I will be going to China in 10 days to look at the factory and have a word with the engineers there but would like to get some feedback from you before I leave if you don't mind. First if you were to build a led system what specs would you want? What do you think would be a fare price to sell a 600w system for back home? If you could please help me get started with this project I would be really grateful. If I can get my father in law to agree to manufacturing I would be more then pleased to send you one or two of theses systems to you to try and then keep. Thanks so much for your time I hope to hear from you soon. Stan

the biggest problem with LED's isnt cost...its a lack of footprint. I can grow 3-4 plants under my current LED...it pulls 740W. for the same wattage in an HID I can double the plant count due to the increased footprint.
there is NO DOUBT that LED's will bloom a pot plant....but they are hot (the heat sinks, not the bulbs) no footprint and too pricy. if someone came up with an LED that had a real reflector to increase the footprint then the price isnt too crazy
Id spend 600 on a 300-400w unit or 1000-1200 for a 600-800w unit

Hi Vipersnests thanks so much for your quick reply. So you think the heat sinks get to hot and this is one thing that needs improvement. You also mention real reflectors do you mean like a reflection hood or the bulbs themselves? I have to apologize I don't understand what you mean by footprint I'm new to this. As I mentioned I'm off to China in 10 days to talk to some engineers in my Father in laws factory and any input would be greatly appreciated . I want to do this but I want to do it right or it just a big waste of time and money and another cheaply designed product that wont help anyone. This is why I feel it vital to ask the end user before I do anything. Again thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Stan....your in luck i am an electrician by trade for 30 years.
1=Led lighting all in one units produce a huge amout heat because the ballast are in the housing of the light.I would make a remote ballast LED the application would increase for small rooms and tents.you can remote the ballast outside the room and control your temp much better.
2=LED.would consider an LED a directional light.This gives a big adavantage to the HID.
Common manufacturers of metal halide and high pressure (HP) sodium lights include Philips, General Electric, Iwasaki, Venture, and Osram/Sylvania. Many of the manufacturers buy and use the same components, often manufactured by competitors. Most often the bulbs have the exact same technical statistics.

Lighting Chart - A guide for wattage per square foot.

HID Light Output Primary Growing Area ,Suplemental area
100 watts 2' x 2' 3' x 3'
250 watts 3' x 3' 4' x 4'
400 watts 4' x 4' 6' x 6'
600 watts 6' x 6' 8' x 8'
1000 watts 8' x 8' 12' x 12'
The LED has little to no suplemental area that is do to its lack of a reflector.
If you look at the numbers above that is whats called a foot print of the unit
In this way you can over lap your suplemental light with multipal units.
this is almost impossible with LED.As i use a 600watt unit i can tell you it will only cover area 3x3 but it grows plant very well.
3=Efficient energy use.I use a 600 watt unit but it draws 740 watts of power that needs to be worked on you are using 140watts more then an HID that is power that is wasted that could be used in my garden better.or saved think green.
4=This would be some extras that would help on the selling points.put a built in time in the remote ballist.and put a few green bulbs in with a switch on your ballist so you can work in your garden and not mess with the bloom.If you work on the problems and add the features i think you could have the prerfect lighting system.

Back
Top Bottom