Lemon Candy: dry, clawing, discoloring, what gives?

Tomcheeze

Lemon Candy is entering week five of veg. Leaves are dry, brittle, clawing, discolored and also curving down. Not sure what the issue could be. Strawberry Eclairs is in the same conditions and doing a lot better, albeit a bit of nutrient burn from going too much on feed.
  • Photos:
  • Medium: Ocean Forest - transplanted into 3gal pots 2 weeks ago
  • Tent: 2x2x5.5
  • Feed: Green Leaf Nutrients Mega Crop NPK (4gr/gal)
  • Light: LED QB 150w (20in from canopy)
  • Temp - 76-78
  • Humidity: 50-60%

Hiya @Tomcheeze I'm no pro but I see that pattern from time to time, it usually progresses to the light colored stripes on the dry leaves turns to a rusty look. With consultation from the big pot brains here I attributed it to cal/mag deficiency, and when I started adding extra it seemed to clear up, those plants grew right past the burnt, crusty leaves.

I know the green leaf has cal/mag in it but I do read often many people under LED and QB especially need to up the cal/mag significantly. I started with 2-0-0 and had to switch to 1-0-0 because it was putting too much nitrogen in and I was getting leaf claw as a result. CHeers bro, gl with your grow! :yahoo:

Hiya @Tomcheeze I'm no pro but I see that pattern from time to time, it usually progresses to the light colored stripes on the dry leaves turns to a rusty look. With consultation from the big pot brains here I attributed it to cal/mag deficiency, and when I started adding extra it seemed to clear up, those plants grew right past the burnt, crusty leaves.

I know the green leaf has cal/mag in it but I do read often many people under LED and QB especially need to up the cal/mag significantly. I started with 2-0-0 and had to switch to 1-0-0 because it was putting too much nitrogen in and I was getting leaf claw as a result. CHeers bro, gl with your grow! :yahoo:

Hey @Pbass! Thank you so much for the reply and great advice. I’m going to give it a shot. Do I have to go with GreenLeafs CalMag or any would do? I’m seeing CalMag online 2-0-0, suggestion for 1-0-0 or is that just cutting dosage in half? Appreciate it in advance.

Morninn Tom, I was using Botanicare 2-0-0 (which I just noticed also includes iron) but I switched to General Hydroponics It's 1-0-0 so I can control the N better, and my water is pretty hard also so I imagine my plants didn't need that iron! I dont think GH is organic though, which isn't a concern of mine, just happened the nutes I started with (Fox Farms Trio is available at my grocery store) are organic.

Do you know the pH of your soil and water? I used a pool tester when I started, my well water runs about 7.5pH and I use a cheap soil wand which while not necessarily super precise, it gives me a baseline to go from and I can see if it's creeping up. I have to use a tablespoon of vinegar in every gallon of water I serve or my girls would be locking out something fierce.

Morninn Tom, I was using Botanicare 2-0-0 (which I just noticed also includes iron) but I switched to General Hydroponics It's 1-0-0 so I can control the N better, and my water is pretty hard also so I imagine my plants didn't need that iron! I dont think GH is organic though, which isn't a concern of mine, just happened the nutes I started with (Fox Farms Trio is available at my grocery store) are organic.

Do you know the pH of your soil and water? I used a pool tester when I started, my well water runs about 7.5pH and I use a cheap soil wand which while not necessarily super precise, it gives me a baseline to go from and I can see if it's creeping up. I have to use a tablespoon of vinegar in every gallon of water I serve or my girls would be locking out something fierce.

Thank you again! Really appreciate your advice. Have General Hydroponics CalMag on the way. Everyone on this forums is incredibly helpful!

Back
Top Bottom