Purple Ghost Candy By Seedsman: Comparative Grow 2024 By Gwhunran

I've been getting my feminized photoperiod seeds from Seedman for over a decade. I've always received my seeds and most of this time they were coming international. It's become even easier now that Seedsman is in the USA. Most of the strains I've ordered and grown, were from other breeders, but the Afghani #1 and Fuel D.OG strains were Seedsman's own.
Purple Ghost Candy is one of Seedsman's own, feminized, photoperiod.

Purple Ghost Candy by Seedsman 5 (1)2.JPG

5 pack Seedsman Purple Ghost Candy. feminized photoperiod

This grow will be part of the Seedsman's Purple Ghost Candy Comparative grow.

This is what Seedsman has to say about Purple Ghost Candy;
Purple Ghost Candy is an exciting cross between Ghost OG and one of the very best recent Purple cuts, viz. Candyland Purple. Purple Ghost Candy is 60% sativa with 40% indica genetics. These are large plants, easy to grow and with high potential yields both indoors and outdoors. High resin production and a tantalising terpene profile make this a must-grow strain for extract makers.

How Purple Ghost Candy Grows:
Plants are quite sturdy and are vigorous growers with aggressive branching. Some support for the lateral branches of these large plants will be of benefit as they can grow to a height of between 250 - 350 csm. outdoors while indoor cultivators are recommended not to spend too long on the vegetative growth phase prior to flowering unless they have plenty of space and head-room. Even so a SCROG set-up will both reduce the plants' height while exposing more bud sites to better light penetration leading to even bigger yields.

Indoors, plants grow to 130 - 160 cm. taking between 70 - 84 days to complete the flowering stage with yields of 500 - 600 gr/m2 rewarding growers. Outdoors in the northern hemisphere harvest time will be during the middle of October with each plant capable of yielding between 700 - 900 gr. each. A noteworthy facet is the very large, golden resin crystals that are produced, and these become noticeable after only a week or two of the flowering stage and which sticks like glue having a scent that persists for hours.

The top-most colas are an explosion of color with the full spectrum of shades starting as a lime green and fading into yellows, reds, and oranges with the tips turning into dark red / purple colors that can either have a pastel or sharp gloss quality. Flowering finishes with a “pink-lemonade” appearance, reminiscent of a warm yellow-orange sunset with a dash of pink-purple velvet-matte color.

Both feeding and ventilation requirements build to a peak at 8 weeks where after nutrient needs taper off. The last week or so it is advised to flush plants with iced water, the low temperatures acting to increase color development. Dried and cured buds are lime green with purple pastel shades and of medium density. Inhalation is soft and mild due to the high resin content and clouds of smoke or vapor are dense.

Purple Ghost Candy Taste, Smell, and Effect:
While Purple Ghost Candy has the typical fuel-like scent of OG strains, it is typified by spicy and earthy flavors alongside supporting notes of lemon with peachy tones. Initial notes are of a lemon-lime soda mixed with a peach/mint note on the tongue. Crisp, smooth, fruit-like aftertaste on exhale reminiscent of peach/grape candy. The lingering impression is comparable to eating peach ring candies with a dash of grape and lemon-lime candies at the forefront - refreshing and fruity.

THC production is very high at 27.54% with CBD content low. The effect produced is potent with a strong physical side balanced with a cerebrally stimulating effect too. This is a perfect strain to enjoy when just chilling out during a hard-earned rest.

The qualities expressed by Purple Ghost Candy make it eminently suitable for entering into cup competitions whether for bud or extracts/concentrates.

Linage:
Ghost OG x Candyland Purple

Variety:
Hybrid

Flowering type:
Photoperiod

Sex:
Feminized

THC content:
Very High (25%+)

CBD content:
Low (0-1%)

Yield outdoor:
Very High (>750gr/plant)

Yield indoor:
High (450-600gr/m2)

Plant height:
Tall (more than 200cm)

Photoperiod flowering time:
9 to 11 weeks

Odor:
Medium

Mold resistance:
Low

Bud density: (1=loose & leafy, 5=ultra dense)

Good for extracts:
High

Aroma:
Fruity

My rough plan for growing Purple Ghost Candy:
I started the five feminized photoperiod Purple Ghost Candy seeds in Root Riot starter cubes.
They will be moved into a little diy DWC to grow out a little and put on a few roots.
Then they will be moved to a hydro flood and drain tray under a HLG 600R led light until harvest.

How I plant Seeds, but first, how I orient the seeds when pushing them into the root riot cubes.

Seed planting orientation pics (4)2.jpg

Pointer aiming at the end of the seed that goes into the cube first.
Seed planting orientation pics (6).jpg

Pointer aimed at pointed end of seed that points up from the cube towards the light.

PGC Seedsman planting day 3-25-24 (3).JPG

Purple Ghost Candy seeds, Root Riot cubes to plant the seeds in, a little tray to hold the cubes, two larger trays to contain moisture, a dome for the largest tray, a spray water bottle to mist the tray and dome and keep the cubes moist but not soaked, and a thermostatically controlled heat mat.

PGC Seedsman planting day 3-25-24 (6)2.JPG

Five Seedsman Purple Ghost Candy seeds were planted in the Root Riot cubes on March 25th.

PGC day five from seed planting (1)3.JPG

Five Days later, today, March 29th, five out of five seeds have sprouted. The streak continues.
The seeds had been planted, and covered with a dome, that was kept misted. Once a plant poked out, the dome was removed and the area was frequently misted and will continue to be, until placed in the diy dwc tupperware.

I've been getting my feminized photoperiod seeds from Seedman for over a decade. I've always received my seeds and most of this time they were coming international. It's become even easier now that Seedsman is in the USA. Most of the strains I've ordered and grown, were from other breeders, but the Afghani #1 and Fuel D.OG strains were Seedsman's own.

My rough plan for growing Purple Ghost Candy:
I started the five feminized photoperiod Purple Ghost Candy seeds in Root Riot starter cubes.
They will be moved into a little diy DWC to grow out a little and put on a few roots.

Could you show me your diy DWC? I'm thinking about trying to grow hydroponically next grow and am looking for the easiest/less time consuming method.
Then they will be moved to a hydro flood and drain tray under a HLG 600R led light until harvest.

I would also like to see how yours works. I saw one at our local grow shop and other than the reservoir, it looked pretty easy.
Five Seedsman Purple Ghost Candy seeds were planted in the Root Riot cubes on March 25th.

Five Days later, today, March 29th, five out of five seeds have sprouted. The streak continues.
The seeds had been planted, and covered with a dome, that was kept misted. Once a plant poked out, the dome was removed and the area was frequently misted and will continue to be, until placed in the diy dwc tupperware.

:happy-birthday: to your young ones! Are you planning on growing out all 5 plants?

Could you show me your diy DWC? I'm thinking about trying to grow hydroponically next grow and am looking for the easiest/less time consuming method.
HashGirl, I am using my diy Dwc as a way station to let them get a little bigger, before moving into the flood and drain.. If I was going to finish one in a diy DWC, it would need to be deeper and bigger for one plant. I think a good example would be @West Hippie 's diy DWC using a cooler.
I would also like to see how yours works. I saw one at our local grow shop and other than the reservoir, it looked pretty easy.
A flood and drain uses a tray with an inflow/backflow and overflow the lets the water level reach a certain height below the top of the tray and drains back into the reservoir. Once the water pump cuts off, then the remaining water in the tray below the overflow drain, returns to the reservoir back through the water pump in the reservoir.. My tray floods and drains for 15 minutes every two hours during lights on.
It is very easy to set up and automate it. I mostly check it twice a day. Refill the reservoir with tap water to a fill line. Give it a few minutes and check the PH. Add up or down if necessary. It stays pretty stable.
Change the reservoir about every week.
Sally 2024 (7).JPG

Flood and drain tray. Note the inflow/return and overflow fitting. There will be a tray cover on top with the four holes for the 6" net pots.
Sally 2024 (4).JPG

Reservoir underneath the tray. Air stones and water pump laying in the bottom.

Sue 3-28-24 (6).JPG

Reservoir pump in operation, pumping water up into the tray by the small hose. The large hose from the overflow is operating while the water level is above the overflow fitting. When the timer cuts off the pump the nutrient water will drain back into the reservoir. The air stones keep the reservoir aerated to keep the solution fresh. The roots in the flood and drain tray get plenty of O2 during the pumps off time. :)

Are you planning on growing out all 5 plants?
I'll have to pick the best four. :rolleyes: I hate to have to pick. :( Most previous years I had a couple of folks to take my extras off my hands, but no longer. :( One lady used to grow out my extras on a kind of "sacred" mountain here.🤗 Hunter gatherers camping sites around 10,000 years old, in our Blue Ridge Mountains.:love:

This is what the flood and drain looks like with the tray installed and the reservoir in position and ready to go. The other grow, just put in the flood and drain at the other end of the grow room. I've got two rooms, just alike. Gonna start calling them Sally and Sue, after a line, in a Jackson Browne song on the album, Running on Empty. :cheesygrinsmiley:🤠

Sue 3-28-24 (1).JPG

Purple Ghost Candy by Seedsman. Comparative Grow 2024.
Day 8 from seed.

I think they'll be going into the little diy DWC within a few days to gain roots and a little growth before going into the big room (flood and drain). :) :bong:

PGC day 8 from seed.JPG

Purple Ghost Candy by Seedsman, Comparative Grow 2024. Day 8 from seed planting.

This is the tupperware that the five 6"/15cm net pots with the five Purple Ghost Candy will go into, to develop roots and leaves, before being moved to the flood and drain. :)

diy DWC tupperware.JPG
Bottom tupperware holding the air stones and weighted air tubes. I run two air pumps for redundancy. The container usually has about 2.5 gallons of water in it when running. :)

Those are some nice looking sprouts. 5-for-5 in the cubes!

Thanks for the info, GW. Does having the reservoir under the plants hinder how tall the plants can grow? That was my biggest concern with the reservoir.

Back
Top Bottom