Lets Talk Coco! Organics & Salts

I picked up some of that green-bottle white-label kelp plant food this morning too at homer's crib. I figured I'd mix a tsp. in a quart and mix it into my medium to feed the mykos. I also decided to grab a small bag of garden lime as another prep and insurance item for later on. I saw some bone meal and blood meal, but didn't have the extra $20 so maybe next time.

I spent that $20 on a deep-scan stud-finder as I'm looking to mount a light to the ceiling and step out of the cabinet as my main grow area (I'll still use the cab, just not sure for what yet). I couldn't get to the spot from the attic (Maybe if I were 20 years younger...ffs) so I need to locate them from below, and my wife had no disagreement. In fact she said something about being able to find a good stud to mount :straightface: I plan on mounting some angle iron strips so I can hang the hooks and have some room for lateral adjustment if needed.

I picked up some of that green-bottle white-label kelp plant food this morning too at homer's crib. I figured I'd mix a tsp. in a quart and mix it into my medium to feed the mykos. I also decided to grab a small bag of garden lime as another prep and insurance item for later on. I saw some bone meal and blood meal, but didn't have the extra $20 so maybe next time.

I spent that $20 on a deep-scan stud-finder as I'm looking to mount a light to the ceiling and step out of the cabinet as my main grow area (I'll still use the cab, just not sure for what yet). I couldn't get to the spot from the attic (Maybe if I were 20 years younger...ffs) so I need to locate them from below, and my wife had no disagreement. In fact she said something about being able to find a good stud to mount :straightface: I plan on mounting some angle iron strips so I can hang the hooks and have some room for lateral adjustment if needed.
well you wife sounds like a hoot id give her a high 5 for trhat one lol, tell you what mix a tbps of green bottle with a tsp ish blurb of mole asses dissolve a 1/2 tsp that lime give em some to drink, and mist them top and underside of the leaves this will give them some colonized mykos on the plants body, this will increase the babies immune systems as well as feed them the mixture helps them absorb the extra cal mag and the micro nutes in the kelp
the blood n bone can wait till you trans plant into bigger pots its the blood n bone sold in the bags right by the kelp n lime right?
thats good stuff, oh save a dozen egg shells ,wash em good,dry and grind to powder use this for extra ca and a whole bunch of micronutes i dissolve the pwd eggshell in vinegar then i dilute it with tap water (more minerals) i use this in many ways,but the way i like best is foliar spray it ends a cal def toot sweet add some epsom salt and you have dirt cheap calmag i would use over over priced brand name stuff, is soluble so it get right into the plant tissues like soil fed just cant, cal is immobile so havin this is just magic! some ppl toast the egshells before crushing, im not fond of puking and i cant see a difference other than color so i opt out of toasting
the smell makes me projectile vomit hard enough to blow out windows

Update - 2 weeks since putting in Coco. 24hr light schedule.

P7265386.JPG

well you wife sounds like a hoot id give her a high 5 for trhat one lol, tell you what mix a tbps of green bottle with a tsp ish blurb of mole asses dissolve a 1/2 tsp that lime give em some to drink, and mist them top and underside of the leaves this will give them some colonized mykos on the plants body, this will increase the babies immune systems as well as feed them the mixture helps them absorb the extra cal mag and the micro nutes in the kelp
the blood n bone can wait till you trans plant into bigger pots its the blood n bone sold in the bags right by the kelp n lime right?
thats good stuff, oh save a dozen egg shells ,wash em good,dry and grind to powder use this for extra ca and a whole bunch of micronutes i dissolve the pwd eggshell in vinegar then i dilute it with tap water (more minerals) i use this in many ways,but the way i like best is foliar spray it ends a cal def toot sweet add some epsom salt and you have dirt cheap calmag i would use over over priced brand name stuff, is soluble so it get right into the plant tissues like soil fed just cant, cal is immobile so havin this is just magic! some ppl toast the egshells before crushing, im not fond of puking and i cant see a difference other than color so i opt out of toasting
the smell makes me projectile vomit hard enough to blow out windows

Well, the only thing I have to feed right now is mykos...lol, I hope they don't eat too much. I plan on popping a couple or three beans in a week or so. Yes, I was looking at the two bags of meals right next to the kelp and lime.

the lil gal is looking better:thumb: on the topic of light

this is my opinion, im a firm believer that plants need rest in the dark,i have had all sorts of problems in the past with 24/0 schedule, there are scientific studies that show the more rest a plant gets the healthier it is (to a point you dont want to flower too soon)
they grow faster and have much larger root system (root growth is accelerated at night),are less prone to disease, they can only use light for a certain amount of hours per day and then photosynthesis halts
heres a little data i found somwhere here on the forum
"It is safe to assume that you know about day and night and circadian rhythms and the bodies biological clock, well plants have them too. There is such thing as a time keeping protein and repressor proteins. In plants this protein is sensitive to light on the 24 hour cycle of light to dark, this protein in plants is called TOC, here is the latest information on it. At dawn repressor genes are activated by light witch over the course of the day slows the production of TOC and therefore decreases concentration, at night when there is no light to produce repressors, TOC levels rise and are circulated through the plant, especially near meristematic tissue where ALL plant growth occurs. It is this oscillation of TOC and repressors over the 18/6 cycle that keep hormones in regulation for vegetative growth.

During the 12/12 cycle- TOC and its repressors are at a certain chemical equilibrium(keep in mind the concentration and therefore times in cycle are different for all plants, cannabis seems to like 12/12 for its hormone equilibrium for flowering) anyways 12/12 TOC levels stimulate the production of flowering hormones- confused yet, hormones are coming up. Just like an athlete using steroids, never using your god given testosterone means you'll have stunted testosterone production when you kick the steroids. Same in plants, if you leave it on 24/0 cycle, you'll never achieve the proper hormone regulation for flowering, well you will get better vegetative growth,and buds too, just not nearly as potent as if you had done it the way natures intends, so remember, light and dark, cycles of TOC regulate expression of hormones, mainly gibberellins and ethylene​
'
and my favorite light schedule
"Grow Bigger and Better saving 30-50% on your energy cost!"

Saturday, 29 January 2011 03:30
Written by Joseph R. Pietri

How to reduce the cost of growing cannabis saving 30-50% on your electricty bill using the 12-1 lighting schedule.

The biggest innovator in the history of cannabis in my generation is Reinhard Delp. Not only did he invent and is the holder of the patent for ice water extraction, he has been building flower forcers since 1992. His new solar powered Sun-gate is the leader of the industry. He was the first to feminize seeds and sell them in Europe in the late 90's. His process was done naturally, without the use of any chemicals.

No one is more copied but seldom matched than Mr. Delp, who to me is the top grower of our generation. The first time he impressed me he showed me 2 plants, planted next to one another, 1 completely covered in powdery mildew, the other completely clean and beautiful. He was developing mildew and mold resistant genetics.

In the late 90's Reinhard brought back the gas lantern routine that you find in any college grade horticulture book, and applied it to cannabis. Cannabis needs only 13 hours to stay in the vegetative growth stage. The 18-6 lighting schedule in vegetation, actually stress your plants, that never get that much light in one-day outdoors. Cannabis is an outdoor plant. Growing indoors you should copy how it grows outdoors. No Cannabis growing in Afghanistan gets 18 hours of light in growth pattern. Most strains today have some part Indica in their genetic pool. Even equatorial strains don't get 18 hours of sun a day.

The 12-1 lighting schedule is as follows 12 hours lights on, 5.5 lights off, 1-hour lights on, 5.5 lights off, and repeat schedule. The 1 hour on in between off period fools the plants that stay in vegetative growth state! Your immediate savings are 5 hours in energy costs daily, as well as your bulbs and equipment lasting longer. But how do the plants react to this lighting schedule?

You see immediate growth response from your plants, they are happy from the added rest time. By day 14 the plants tripled in size. The plants are bushy with twice as many bud sites without topping or bending, In fact when you top and stretch your plants out, you get many more bud sites than you would have had under 18-6 using same procedure of topping and stretching plant, your growing bigger and better and faster.

So your saving 5 hours daily in energy costs, as well as your excellerated growth pattern which also saves you time and energy and equipment use.

In the flowering stage, never use 12-12, start your flowering period at 11 hours on 13 hours off. When your are growing outdoors each day you get less and less sun light, you should copy the way the sun acts naturally in your indoor grow. So first 2 weeks of flower you go 11 on 13 off, the next 2 weeks you go down to 10.5 on 13.5 off, next 2 weeks 10 on 14 off, next two weeks 9.5 on 14.5 off and the last weeks of flower you should be at 9 hours on and 15 hours off. You'll get bigger and better buds by copying the way the sun light works on cannabis outdoors.

Cannabis is an outdoor plant and you should copy the way it grows outdoors indoors. The only thing that 18-6, and then 12-12 lighting schedule's do is make the energy companies rich as well as the people who sell lights and equipment, the more you use the more you spend. 12-1 lighting schedule is a more natural way to grow indoors and you well have the best results you have ever had and save as much as 50% in energy costs.
i have been using glr for over 2 yrs i love it:thumb:

the lil gal is looking better:thumb: on the topic of light

this is my opinion, im a firm believer that plants need rest in the dark,i have had all sorts of problems in the past with 24/0 schedule, there are scientific studies that show the more rest a plant gets the healthier it is (to a point you dont want to flower too soon)
they grow faster and have much larger root system (root growth is accelerated at night),are less prone to disease, they can only use light for a certain amount of hours per day and then photosynthesis halts
heres a little data i found somwhere here on the forum
'
and my favorite light schedule

i have been using glr for over 2 yrs i love it:thumb:

I appreciate the info! and I at this point will start working some hours out of the plant schedule. Just since I intend to bring this outside. and I started late in the season... (bag seeds fell into my lap literally) :p. So the theory was pump it full of the sunshine that it missed (at that time I had done research and found that 24 hours of light does no harm to the plant). But info is all over the place and everyone has their own opinion. So far the 24 hours of light for the last 2 weeks has really helped me get a handle on the plant. Every day I am learning and seeing new things :D. My friend said its ready to go outside and flower now... But Im not convinced I am ready to take her outside yet... I may be a little attached to my first plant I have ever grown... and this is from seed, with a 100% coco mixture. LMAO a month ago I knew absolutely nothing.

I used a friggin 1000lumen flashlight till I planted into the coco to grow her. I have under estimated the power of LOVE to Nature...

I think tonight I am going to start taking some light away from here. I don't think the lack of light has caused any harm to the roots. They are plentiful, and she's drinking real nice... I have been keeping her a little drier as you guys have mentioned on here.

I appreciate the info on the light and now that I know Iv got her alive and growing very nicely... I am going to give her less light.

Whats the best way to ween her off of some light, with the most minimal harshness to her. Remember she's had 24 hours of light for 2 weeks.

Thanks to everyone for helping me... I dont think id be this far without the knowledge you guys have given me... Not always followed but always taken to heart... (everyones budgets and conditions are different).

14 days ago -
IMG_20140712_124946_hdr.jpg

Today -
P7265386.JPG

It amazes me what 14 days can do.

That's my intention for my next grow too. I just gotta try to figure out how to program it all in and trial it. Chit, I'll do that tonight or tomorrow. lol.
just setup 12/12 halfway thru the dark turn it on for an hour thats all it is ,12/12 with an extra hour works a treat

Whats the best way to ween her off of some light, with the most minimal harshness to her. Remember she's had 24 hours of light for 2 weeks.
i am a bit brutal i guess i just switch it to whatever im wanting, no babying from me, you would be surprised how tought these plants are

Hi

I'm having some issues with coco coir, and if someone can help me I do really appreciate!

The second time that I fed the plant after transplanting was today.
I added 2 liters of water with the supplement plagron coco A & B.
PH=5.5 and EC=1.7 mS/cm (exactly what plagron recomends)

About 20% drained.
And I measured it:
PH=6.5 and EC=0.6 mS/cm
The water also has a strong urine color.

It's a CBD skunk Haze, 30 days from seed in a 3 gallons pot, 250w MH bulb and it's growing very slow!
I've been feeding it every to days.

The temperature and humidity are under control, except when the bulb is of (6h per day) the temperature goes around 5 Celsius.

Any help is appreciated!
DSCF19192.jpg
DSCF19184.jpg

might try flushing real well with a very weak mix of your nutes,maybe 5 gallons the ph seems a bit high for the runoff this early in the run,theres all kinds of ways to get the ca grind some human calcium pills,or egg shells you can dissolve the eggshells in vinegar then dilute that with water tap is usually best, then theres garden lime,gypsum,calcium carbonate can be purchased online or a brew shop,just add some to water (whatever you end up with) a couple tsp per gal,and a tsp epsom salts, and water once a week to start,see how she does, im not sure what 5 Celsius is equal to in Fahrenheit if its around 65f then it should be good ,,it kinda looks like mild salt toxicity flushing should help then after re water with the nutes at 3/4 label strenght and see how she does, she not looking real bad tho

Good morning - Here she is. She is now on about 16 hours of light each day (for the last 3 days).
IMG_20140730_082032.jpg
IMG_20140730_082022.jpg
IMG_20140730_082010.jpg

Should I be flowering her at this point?

Great white is the best in my opinion. They provide 27 mycos I believe, the most on the market anyway. And for coco itself I would stay clear from the dolomite lime as pH is 7 and in coco you should be 5.5 to 6.2. I recently give bcuzz coco a shot and will never ever use another brand. Its washed multiple times in distilled water, enriched with cal/mag, and pH balanced. Sure at $35 a bag I was sceptical, but holy shit it was a night and day difference visually out of the bag.

cosmo i would veg another week to let her stabilize, how much space are you working with the more veg time the more bud,but also the bigger a pklant, how will you flower,outside,or inside? what kind of light?

Thanks. This is where I need to start making some serious decisions. I know that I need to plant her (or him) in a bigger pot. I am not ready to plant her outside yet (I am growing a strong attachment to my first grow).

This may sound silly to some, but could I flower inside, and still have a few weeks of inside growth before I put her outside? I am worried about size, I have a fair bit of room to deal with... But If I am having to deal with smells and fans and shit I likely will be unable to continue growing where I am till Harvest. (I could possibly go a a couple more weeks indoors dependant on how big she starts getting). I have 3 6500k CFL atm (2 in use currently) I know that during flowering you change up some bulbs to 2700k correct?

My friend keeps insisting I put her outside ASAP. So I guess my question is, am I doing it harm keeping it indoors longer if I plan to put it outside?

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom