Lighting Dilemma

Even though it says it only covers 2x2? What spectrum would be ideal? 3k or 3500k?

3000K is "warm white," at the yellowish end of the spectrum--nice, warm room lighting.
5000K is a cooler, bluer light, closer to daylight.

Any will work, but if you're a spectrum purist, you'd favor 5000K for vegetative and 3000 for flowering, but really, despite what the purists say, either will work fine (for example, people grow successfully with both MH and HPS bulbs without changing them).

4000K would probably be splitting the difference.

(Now I'm just waiting for the spectrum True Believers to chime in. ;))

3000K is "warm white," at the yellowish end of the spectrum--nice, warm room lighting.
5000K is a cooler, bluer light, closer to daylight.

Any will work, but if you're a spectrum purist, you'd favor 5000K for vegetative and 3000 for flowering, but really, despite what the purists say, either will work fine (for example, people grow successfully with both MH and HPS bulbs without changing them).

4000K would probably be splitting the difference.

(Now I'm just waiting for the spectrum True Believers to chime in. ;))

Yeah I've been reading a bit about this as well. 3500K seems to be common for all the way through veg and flower and is the default selection on the website, where as some grow with 3000k. Decisions are tough sometimes!!

Yeah I've been reading a bit about this as well. 3500K seems to be common for all the way through veg and flower and is the default selection on the website, where as some grow with 3000k. Decisions are tough sometimes!!

Again, I know I break with the lighting spectrum purists on this, but it's really more about how much light than the exact color. If you look in the grow logs you'll see successful grows with HPS yellow, MH and LED blue-white, and blurple... Yes, stalks might be a little stretchier with warmer colored light, but just like obsessing over an exact pH number, I don't think it's really not worth worrying about too much...

The more I read the more confusing it all becomes. :thedoubletake:

Oh, measuring light accurately has always been complicated and difficult, and it's only getting more complicated with the many and varied light sources we have today.

That said, we're not doing a moon launch here. Bright light, more or less white (even missing the yellow and green!), will do the job. ;)

there are a few great options nowadays, without going the blurple route,..

I love Perfect sun, and I love smd's (QBs, wavy boards, Led strips)

so many ways to set up a nice, cheap grow light, whether above or sidelighting, sooooo many things can be done.

I appreciate all the responses! I'll re-visit this after my current disaster of a grow ;-P. The QB boards are looking attractive, although I read that some people think they are inferior to cobs. For the price, they had better be a good light!

The great thing about this technology is the chips will last 10+ grows.

I meant minimum. Comparing to HPS where you have to replace every 1-3 grows... bulbs add up is what I was gettin at :)

Ahh yes, right. LED's can last a while, cob's can die quicker though no? Due to them being packed in and heating up pretty good?

It all depends on how hard you run them. At 1400ma for example, or 50w per chip +/- 3w depending on brand, I believe you'll be able to get at least 50k hours of run time. That calculates out to 11 years@12 hours a day(flower tent), and 5.5 years@24 hours a day(veg tent.) Cree offers a 10 year limited warranty on them. Cree's test currents are 2800mah at 85 degrees Celsius. Max current is 3600mah. So unless you plan on driving the hell out of these things longevity wouldn't be a concern whatsoever.

It all depends on how hard you run them. At 1400ma for example, or 50w per chip +/- 3w depending on brand, I believe you'll be able to get at least 50k hours of run time. That calculates out to 11 years@12 hours a day(flower tent), and 5.5 years@24 hours a day(veg tent.) Cree offers a 10 year limited warranty on them. Cree's test currents are 2800mah at 85 degrees Celsius. Max current is 3600mah. So unless you plan on driving the hell out of these things longevity wouldn't be a concern whatsoever.
I'm not as familiar with the topic as that, I'll take your word for it. Sounds right to me anyway! Thanks for all the info I'm here. I appreciate it like you wouldn't believe. The lighting space is daunting for the "beginner"

Back
Top Bottom