Luxx's 2nd Grow Perpetual Closet and Cab Setup

Re: luxx's 2nd grow perpetual closet and cab setup.

I am going to order a few fem seeds. by the time they get here, i can make up my mind if i want to trash the stunted ones. Only going to germ 2 of them though. Whats a good strain for a scrog like mine, should it be indica dom, or sativa dom.? I would think bushy and not real tall, but i have 8 foot to play with in there. But scrogs wont get that tall anyway, am i correct? I will search around some banks to see whats up.

Veg Cab Update: after 8 hours with the door closed, i went to check.... 88 deg. I dont understand what i am doing wrong, im using cfls not heat lamps. :[

Sealed the top of the cab better, thinking that it was just sending out air from the cracks. I will try anything, let me know please.

If you're going for SCROG I'd go with an indica dominant as they are generally shorter and bushier. You're right that with SCROG's height is not really an issue but with eight feet it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a few sativa seeds and let them grow natural and LST them only if you run out of height to work with.

As for your temps let's start at the beginning:

1) What is your ambient air temp? This will allow us to determine how much temperature rise you are dealing with. 88F with eight CFL's is not unheard of...remember my first journal? lol CFL's DO put out some heat especially when you start putting a few in a small space with Y-splitters. It's just a lot less than anything you'd see from a HID.

2) Your exhaust fan is an 80CFM model, correct? Just making sure I'm keeping your two rooms straight lol. I was running two ~50CFM fans in my cabinet during my first grow and I had temps pushing 100F at times. Granted much of this was due to ambient air temp being high to begin with...but just an example of CFL's making some heat. How many cubic feet is the grow space in your cabinet?

3) Since you covered the walls and all with your new material what happened to the intake ports you had cut? Where is your fresh air coming from and how much area does your intake port have?

I am thinking that your exhaust fan is not moving enough air or your intake ports are restricting air flow...assuming your ambient air temp and cabinet temperature rise are within reason. Eight CFL's will create some heat in that small space even if they are fluorescents. We'll figure this out!

Sealed the top of the cab better, thinking that it was just sending out air from the cracks. I will try anything, let me know please.

FYI...any air escaping out of those cracks would only be what couldn't be vented with your exhaust fan. Air, like electricity, water, and other gasses, loves to take the path of least resistance. I don't think those cracks were really causing your temperature to rise BUT they did need to be sealed.

If you're going for SCROG I'd go with an indica dominant as they are generally shorter and bushier. You're right that with SCROG's height is not really an issue but with eight feet it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a few sativa seeds and let them grow natural and LST them only if you run out of height to work with.

what would the difference in yield be if was to grow out sativa, opposed to scrog indica?

As for your temps let's start at the beginning:

1) What is your ambient air temp? This will allow us to determine how much temperature rise you are dealing with. 88F with eight CFL's is not unheard of...remember my first journal? lol CFL's DO put out some heat especially when you start putting a few in a small space with Y-splitters. It's just a lot less than anything you'd see from a HID.

Ambient temp is 70-72, closed the door to the room so it would get even colder, will open back up when the lights go off.

2) Your exhaust fan is an 80CFM model, correct? Just making sure I'm keeping your two rooms straight lol. I was running two ~50CFM fans in my cabinet during my first grow and I had temps pushing 100F at times. Granted much of this was due to ambient air temp being high to begin with...but just an example of CFL's making some heat. How many cubic feet is the grow space in your cabinet?

Yes, veg cab exhaust is 80 cfm. I also have the 20-30 cfm fan on the same transformer as a intake. Its also a smaller fan than the exhaust. The cubic feet of the space is 1.25x2.25.5 = 14

3) Since you covered the walls and all with your new material what happened to the intake ports you had cut? Where is your fresh air coming from and how much area does your intake port have?
My intake port was under the main shelf, the shelf just floats in there with 1/2'' gap on front and back, for good measure i drilled about 15 1'' holes in it too.

I am thinking that your exhaust fan is not moving enough air or your intake ports are restricting air flow...assuming your ambient air temp and cabinet temperature rise are within reason. Eight CFL's will create some heat in that small space even if they are fluorescents. We'll figure this out!

Thanks for the help, wish i could give you more rep.

what would the difference in yield be if was to grow out sativa, opposed to scrog indica?

I really can't answer that...it would probably depend on the actual strains grown. I'd just like to grow a six foot or more sativa if I ever have the space :grinjoint: Plus I like the mind buzz especially during the day when I don't want to get rooted to the chair lol

Ambient temp is 70-72, closed the door to the room so it would get even colder, will open back up when the lights go off.

Ok...so a 16-18F temperature rise, a bit on the high side imho.

Yes, veg cab exhaust is 80 cfm. I also have the 20-30 cfm fan on the same transformer as a intake. Its also a smaller fan than the exhaust. The cubic feet of the space is 1.25x2.25.5 = 14

My intake port was under the main shelf, the shelf just floats in there with 1/2'' gap on front and back, for good measure i drilled about 15 1'' holes in it too.

Since you've added the reflective material in the cabinet how are the 1" holes flowing air? In the previous pics I couldn't really tell where the airflow was coming from. You definitely have more intake area than exhaust which is good as you already know. My hunch is that you have too much resistance in your intake ports and/or not enough flow with your 50CFM rated PC fan. The fans I am using (Scythe Slipstreams...there are various CFM models) are 1900RPM and rated 110CFM...$15 purchased locally. They aren't the quietest fans due to the CFM rating but they move some friggin' air...they put my 50CFM fans to shame. I gotta run for now but I'll be back later...I think.

Thanks for the help, wish i could give you more rep.

No worries...helping people is reward enough :)

Well two of them are showing signs of wanting to be flushed down the toliet.....

SS850521.jpg

and this one....

SS850522.jpg

Too much N? from the folier spray?

Well the grass is always greener on the other side. In this case it is, check out momdukes at her finest..

SS850524.jpg

SS850523.jpg

SS850525.jpg

lil, heres a pic of my intake, old pic to show holes.

SS850047.jpg

I can take a pic of whatever you need me to, let me know.:peace:

As mentioned before Luxx m8, I dont think you have enough fresh air going into that cabinet, you just have that pc fan? Id stick an inline fan in there as I am about to do in my own room. Also that board is going to restrict the natural flow of this too.

Not good to see poor growth on them lot, Stunted growth is so disheartening :-(

Heyho, its better than my first grow which is now totally defunct and into my second grow in reality altho my first journal still. 3 weeks down the pan but hopefully enough lessons learned.

Momaduke looking great tho!!

That particular fan i pulled the wire out, it has a 50 cfm intake now, sorry about the confusion, and the fan is a bigger case fan.

The beginning of my 1st grow was easier than this, ive spent a lot of money on this now, and its a little depressing, I am thinking that Momdukes might turn into Daddukes, I sure hope not.

NOW i just thought of something, could have the seeds been bad? they were about a year old, when i got them, i stuck them right in the freezer and they stayed there until i germed them. idk, might be relevant.

I doubt the seeds are bad , they would be unlikely to germinate in the first place. It is common for growth to slow etc after transplant, the more changes to them the more stress it seems basically. Lots of changes in going to have a big affect.

Can you clarify what soil this is? They were pottted into this soil immediately after germinating? Is it possible that it has nutes already in the soil?

I would really recommend looking at the seed makers info about the strain you have. Sometimes it will give growth characteristics, i.e maybe they grow really short.

If it is for actual medicinal purposes then strains high in CBD (Cannabidiol) are the types recommended, it isnt all about the thc. Shark Attack is one example that is high in CBD and also proven a solid grower in cabinet grows. This sort of information can help enourmously.

Yes, it is suggested, as Tommy says, to mist them just for the first few days with pure water just to acclimatise them after they leave the high humidity of the dome (or germinating box/tub/propogator)

Again this is partly why I asked earlier about the soil. I learned the hard way that really young babaies do not like nutes at all usually and can stunt growth or worse.

On a seperate note, if possibel I would really recommend moving all electrics outside of the grow room. Humidity and electric, no thank you

Totally 3lions....fert your youngsters will kill them...we want them to grow grow grow...sometimes you really want to add extra nutes and such cuz we're so excited. We want to do things when all you really should do is kick back and watch them grow, but we all learn the hard way. Take our advice 3lions so you don't suffer. Less is definitely more when coming to fert and nutes!!!!

My first Journal...ongoing grow, SEA of Green

I doubt the seeds are bad , they would be unlikely to germinate in the first place. It is common for growth to slow etc after transplant, the more changes to them the more stress it seems basically. Lots of changes in going to have a big affect.

Can you clarify what soil this is? They were pottted into this soil immediately after germinating? Is it possible that it has nutes already in the soil?

I would really recommend looking at the seed makers info about the strain you have. Sometimes it will give growth characteristics, i.e maybe they grow really short.

If it is for actual medicinal purposes then strains high in CBD (Cannabidiol) are the types recommended, it isnt all about the thc. Shark Attack is one example that is high in CBD and also proven a solid grower in cabinet grows. This sort of information can help enourmously.

Hyponex potting soil, 20pct verm, 10pct perlite.
The strain is called Alqpuco gold. Seeds were passed down from a guy thats been using this strain since the 70s. (so i am told(friend of a friend))

Hi lux...I am perpetual too...check out my journal

Hi tommy, nice to have you with us, will check out your journal asap.

Looking at ur pics there and the ones you say about flushing down the toliet...then you said this>>>Too much N? from the folier spray? Are you fertilizing those little girls? I wouldn't use any fert on such younsters. Foliar? Just use plain water

I was following my chart that came with the BMO nutes i have. It told me to mist them. I am trying everything at this point, wouldnt you?

Yes, it is suggested, as Tommy says, to mist them just for the first few days with pure water just to acclimatise them after they leave the high humidity of the dome (or germinating box/tub/propogator)

Again this is partly why I asked earlier about the soil. I learned the hard way that really young babaies do not like nutes at all usually and can stunt growth or worse.

On a seperate note, if possibel I would really recommend moving all electrics outside of the grow room. Humidity and electric, no thank you

a power strip and a timer will make my temps rise? with all due respects, i dont think so. Or was you talking about moving the fans to the outside of the cab?

My humidity is so low, that i cant even keep wet snot in my nose, i wake up with a sore throat every morning, well time to go get a humidifier, for me, and for the plants. keep that bad boy on for 2 week strait. On the other hand, it is warming up here, snow is melting, hopefully the humidity will on its own too.

Also, i started misting at 12days, it is now day 16. I was told its ok to feed lightly at this point. With the stunted growth, maybe i shouldnt have.

Totally 3lions....fert your youngsters will kill them...we want them to grow grow grow...sometimes you really want to add extra nutes and such cuz we're so excited. We want to do things when all you really should do is kick back and watch them grow, but we all learn the hard way. Take our advice 3lions so you don't suffer. Less is definitely more when coming to fert and nutes!!!!

I only used less than a 1/8 of the recommended strength due to the stunted growth. Ill back off for a few days, and we will see.

Cut the 1'' holes out a little better, drop temps to around 83-85. I am getting there. i was thinking i could put another fan in the board they are sitting on to move the air from the bottom through the platform, around the plants, and out the exhaust.

I did some referencing from my last journal, in 2 weeks my plants have grown this time, look like the day 5-6 from the last.

I am about to scrap it all and go hydro in the veg cab. Any suggestions on a type of container i could put in there for mothers and clones?

Thanks for your input guys, keep it coming. :reading420magazine:

a power strip and a timer will make my temps rise? with all due respects, i dont think so. Or was you talking about moving the fans to the outside of the cab?

Surprisingly yes they can...a power strip and timer probably not so much unless they are heavily loaded but when I moved my power supply for the fans out of my cabinet my temps dropped 1F. I didn't think it was blowing much hot air as it was lightly loaded (to say the least) but lo and behold it made a difference.

Cut the 1'' holes out a little better, drop temps to around 83-85. I am getting there. i was thinking i could put another fan in the board they are sitting on to move the air from the bottom through the platform, around the plants, and out the exhaust.

That's getting more tolerable for sure. If you were running CO2 those temps would actually be good ;) Judging by the previous pics you posted it definitely looks like you might be having some airflow issues. Not so much the volume of air being moved, although that is impacted as well, but how well the air is allowed to move through the cabinet. Multiple 1" holes are much less efficient than fewer, larger diameter holes. Adding a fan as you mentioned will probably help, even the smaller one that you had on the intake previously might work well.

I did some referencing from my last journal, in 2 weeks my plants have grown this time, look like the day 5-6 from the last.

Yeah, I was comparing them to growth that I've had and came to the same conclusion.

I am about to scrap it all and go hydro in the veg cab. Any suggestions on a type of container i could put in there for mothers and clones?

No clue about hydro.

Thanks for your input guys, keep it coming. :reading420magazine:

You're welcome...don't get discouraged!:peace:

Surprisingly yes they can...a power strip and timer probably not so much unless they are heavily loaded but when I moved my power supply for the fans out of my cabinet my temps dropped 1F. I didn't think it was blowing much hot air as it was lightly loaded (to say the least) but lo and behold it made a difference.

If i can get 1F then it will be worth it, need to figure out how to do it that way, might need to move the whole cab. gotta do some thinking.

That's getting more tolerable for sure. If you were running CO2 those temps would actually be good ;) Judging by the previous pics you posted it definitely looks like you might be having some airflow issues. Not so much the volume of air being moved, although that is impacted as well, but how well the air is allowed to move through the cabinet. Multiple 1" holes are much less efficient than fewer, larger diameter holes. Adding a fan as you mentioned will probably help, even the smaller one that you had on the intake previously might work well.
So do you think if i can get my temps down to 80, that would be acceptable?

I think i might go to the car audio store and utilize some square subwoofer box ports. Another thought, what if i made a shelf out of a few layers of wire mesh?

You're welcome...don't get discouraged!:peace:

Im not too discouraged, From the start of this grow, i wanted to build an efficient veg cab, temps, lights, airflow. I am kinda glad that shit is happening, that way the plants can tell me what kind of environment they like.
:reading420magazine:

So do you think if i can get my temps down to 80, that would be acceptable?

Depends on the strain...some strains wouldn't mind 80F too much. My last grow spent much of the time at 80F-83F and did fine. I'd aim for a few degrees lower just to have some breathing room in case something happens. Lately I've been pushing 80F in my cabinet but I think I've figured out why...save that for my journal, not yours :)

I think i might go to the car audio store and utilize some square subwoofer box ports. Another thought, what if i made a shelf out of a few layers of wire mesh?

Great idea, go to Home Depot or something and get some expanded metal if you can find it in a size that is close to what you need and will fit in your cabinet. Cutting it yourself would be a pain without the right tools though. Anything to allow smoother air transfer.

Im not too discouraged, From the start of this grow, i wanted to build an efficient veg cab, temps, lights, airflow. I am kinda glad that shit is happening, that way the plants can tell me what kind of environment they like.
:reading420magazine:

That's a good way to look at it!:popcorn:

One thing on nutes... and this makes a lot of sense.... I was told to throw the time schedule out the window and start looking at my plants.

You probably don't want to add nutes until after the third set of true leaves come in. It makes sense to tailor your feeding to the size/look of your plant rather than how many days it's been growing.

Again, you know I don't have specific experience since I am still on my first grow but it makes sense and a friend of mine with a proven track record swears by this "method".

Lol, sometimes I feel like such a poseur because my plants have been so easy and boring to grow so far...

Back
Top Bottom