Luxx's 2nd Grow Perpetual Closet and Cab Setup

Re: luxx's 2nd grow perpetual closet and cab setup.

"Blurry root system, didnt want to put her down to take a pic, and i was shaky anyway.."

You aint supposed to handle the roots like that Im sure man?

"Humidity it so low it is off the chart on my meter, it just says LOW% That the problem?"

Checked battery?

"Temps bounce in between 68-73 when lights off, 82-88 when lights are on."

I have heard that a 20 degree swing in high low temps is a bad thing. Curently mine have about a 6 degree swing at the moment.

Do you not have any flat cups, like the larger one there? With indented/rippled sides can be a pain to transplant i hear.

As for the roots during transplant, i didnt handle the roots at all, just slid them out (no problems from the rippled cups, since they are thin, i spread my fingers over the pot with the plant in between, then upside down pull the cup off.) Before i turn it right side up, i ever so slightly turn the root ball to break up the soil around it, then place it in a 50% full pot.

3 Batterys so far, will use another tonight, have to get more AAAs.

Well my cab has negative ventilation, waiting on a new fan from newegg. I hope the temps will get better when it gets installed, i am also going to remove the shelf and find something better for airflow, or i could just run another fan in the side above the shelf.

Thanks for the input, it helps me put things together in my head.

Any other thoughts?

Only one plant per bucket for a optimal root system. My rh is terrible, I think that i will go out and buy a humidifier, not only for my babies, but for me, havnt had a clear nose since i moved here.

The cupping from what i read is from too much heat and not enough humidity, so its cupping itself in order to get more moister, I gave it, its own side and raised the lights on that side, moved all the other babies to the opposite side. I also placed two wet hand towels in the cab with em. Hope i can keep her happy,

How are you going to fit all the plants in that grow space if they have their own bucket? Jus curious :nomo:

seems like ur set up is coming together ;)

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/SS850404.jpg is handling the roots me thinks, those hairs are very sensitive I understand.

I would suggest that is would be better to add a container of water as oppose to wet towels, the towels are likely to create more problems. Tho all bit dodgy with electrics about of course.

Coming along tho for sure :thumb:

it was just resting in my hand, that can hurt it? the thing that tells me i did no damage was the 3 new leaves growing and zero transplant shock. Unless the leaves cupping upwards is transplant shock.

seems like every time i google it it comes down to the same thing, high heat, low humidity. Seems like the answer since the air is so thick in there you can bite it. I can seem to get it down. Time to redesign the cab. I need to make seperate clone/mother shelves anyway. That means more lights. Arg.

I have 6 jars of water open under the plants in the bottom of the cab since sprout. That hasn't helped a bit since i dont think the temps get high enough to produce humidity. So today i placed a hand towel in a jar full of water and sat it with the plants along with a fan.

How are you going to fit all the plants in that grow space if they have their own bucket? Jus curious :nomo:

seems like ur set up is coming together ;)

lol, i was only planning on two mothers from this bunch(i would be happy with one healthy, resilient bushy mom), then take 6 or so clones from her to get 4 nice cuttings, and flower the shit out of them ;] So 4 plants in flowering room at one time, since i am scroging, there will be no more room. (Still have to build the screen.

Well luxx m 8 things are still going v well at this point overall.

I tried to look but couldn't tell if you have a decent inlet area? It would be good to have an fan that blows fresh air into the cabinet as oppose to the oscilating fan alone that just actually moves around the stale air. I know you said you have negative pressure (so meaning that air can only creep in as oppose to out) but blowing cool fresh air in is what is required either way right?

well, my temps were a little more stable at first, then i pulled a wire out of my intake fan, i thought it would be ok to act as a passive intake, but i have learned that the size of the intake hole had to be slightly bigger than the exhaust, to create neg pressure. (Since my doors didnt close right before, i didnt have a problem with the temps, now that i got the latches for it, the temps are crazy.) So the fan i have might be 20 cfms. Not nearly enough for a 1x3x6 cab. I will make that one my intake, and the 80cfm fan i got will be exhaust.

By the way my ambient temps are super low, since the heat doesnt really reach that part of the house.

Well, i got my TDS meter, and my exhaust fan for the veg cab. My tap water it 111 ppm.

Whats a good ppm level for tap water? Is mine good or bad?

Put in the fan, they were sleeping so i didnt get a prolonged test, when i get home they will be going for 5 hours then. Need to make the holes bigger and cleaner.

How should i connect the fan to the 4'' 90? Ive seen people use drains with holes cut in them. Might have to try it.

I moved the carbon air filter from the attic to inside the cab, on other side of the tube, so it will be pulling through it like it should. Also should help eliminate the noise problem.

The plants dont look like they are growing any, except the one. There is one that is less than dime sized, while the biggest is a big as a softball now. I dont understand, is this normal or do the other 7 plants have a problem?

The plants dont look like they are growing any, except the one. There is one that is less than dime sized, while the biggest is a big as a softball now. I dont understand, is this normal or do the other 7 plants have a problem?

They are two weeks old now right? Give or take a day? How much have they grown since the last pics you posted on the previous page titled "Day 9"? After two weeks from breaking the soil after germination they should be bigger than that for sure ala momdukes.

14 days old now. They have grown zero since day 9, one grew a little, but not much to mention.

What could be holding them back? Heat? Humidity? Soil Mix? Water?

I prolly should figure this one out, so i can learn from it. Ill do some googling when i get home.

Geez luxx, you've got a lot of balls in the air all at once!

Looking at your soil from the previous page, potting soil and vermiculite = soggy soil. Vermiculite retains a lot of water as does potting soil. I'm using Pro-mix with 25% perlite with hydro nutes in one and organic nutes in the other. I probably could have used a bit of vermiculite as the 4" pots dry out fast. 70% mix, 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite will be what I use when I transplant next. Or maybe 60-25-15.

To boost your RH, get one of those cheap foggers and use RO water in it so it doesn't plug up and you'll make those babies drip if you want to.

I would use an good exhaust fan w passive intake, filtered, and a small oscillating fan. That can all change if you're going to break that cab up for different chambers. Each area will need a re-think to manage air flow.

111 ppm tap water is fine. Just subtract that amount from final TDS to get true nute levels. If you check with your town water supply find out what is in there and if it's calcium carbonates it's good for your plants and you won't need supplements. If it's sodium that's bad news and will mess up your girls over the long term. With my tubs I throw a tbsp of crushed egg shells in there to cover any calcium needs. With distilled or RO water there's nothing in there at all so what you feed them is what they get!

To hook up the 4" just get some dryer hose and duct tape or nylon ties to get it together.

Your humidity meter, like mine says low for anything less than 50% or so. I got one of those cheap analog ones and put it in there and set my humidistat by that. Seems to work fine.

The cupping on some leaves is probably because of the low humidity and as long as it's smoothing out as the leaves mature it's no biggy.

The one big plant could be due to superior genetics so hang on to that one! Could be waterlogged soil too slowing down the others. Fold a fluffy hand towel up, set it on a small stack of newspapers and set the pot on that to draw out extra water fast. The fibers from the towel will wick the water out of the holes in the pot and the papers will draw it from the towel. A facecloth would do too.

That's all I got for now so if I missed anything, and I likely did, just say so in here and I'll see it.

C'ya L8r.

:peace:

Geez luxx, you've got a lot of balls in the air all at once!

Looking at your soil from the previous page, potting soil and vermiculite = soggy soil. Vermiculite retains a lot of water as does potting soil. I'm using Pro-mix with 25% perlite with hydro nutes in one and organic nutes in the other. I probably could have used a bit of vermiculite as the 4" pots dry out fast. 70% mix, 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite will be what I use when I transplant next. Or maybe 60-25-15.

Yea, vermiculite was a waste, should have gotten perlite, and a better soil, but this is what i used last grow, minus the verm, + the perlite.

To boost your RH, get one of those cheap foggers and use RO water in it so it doesn't plug up and you'll make those babies drip if you want to.

I might have to try this, i was told i can get the foggers in the reptile department.

I would use an good exhaust fan w passive intake, filtered, and a small oscillating fan. That can all change if you're going to break that cab up for different chambers. Each area will need a re-think to manage air flow.

I have the 80 cfm as exhaust, and 20 something for the intake. Came home and its 83-84 so far.
To hook up the 4" just get some dryer hose and duct tape or nylon ties to get it together.

I have some 4'' ducting, the fan is a 120mm fan, so its bigger than the 4'', can i do it the same still?

The cupping on some leaves is probably because of the low humidity and as long as it's smoothing out as the leaves mature it's no biggy.

No smoothing out yet. Momdukes is making the others look stupid though.

The one big plant could be due to superior genetics so hang on to that one! Could be waterlogged soil too slowing down the others. Fold a fluffy hand towel up, set it on a small stack of newspapers and set the pot on that to draw out extra water fast. The fibers from the towel will wick the water out of the holes in the pot and the papers will draw it from the towel. A facecloth would do too.

I will try this right now, brb.

That's all I got for now so if I missed anything, and I likely did, just say so in here and I'll see it.

C'ya L8r.

:peace:

thanks labrat and lil n for the interest.

The 11th - they are 5 days old at this point.
The 20th - they are 14 days old at this point.

The 11th minidukes
baby11th.jpg

The 20th minidukes
baby20th.jpg

The 14th Momdukes
MD14th.jpg

The 20th Momdukes
MD20th.jpg

All 11th
full11th.jpg

All 20th
full20th.jpg

you're comin along luxx.. keep up the good work dude!

You know how I handle my humidity problems? About 2 or 3 times a day I mist the entire inside areas of my cab with only one door open until my gauge reads about 40-45%. It's ALOT of misting. At first i tried not to mist the plants at all because i read that it's bad to mist seedlings and it's also bad to leave droplets of water on your planst because of the prism effect. Well, that's all good and dandy if you are using any lighting BUT cfls. However, cfls don't ever get hot enough to "burn" the leaves through the prism effect.

Hell, I ended up wrapping my fixtures in electrical tape so I can just mist the hell out of my cabinet with no indiscretion. So far, my babies have loved me for it.

i mist 2 3 times daily, and i didnt even know about the prism effect. elaborate if you will.

any comments on the comparative photos? Does it look like normal growth to you guys?

Been a little busy, got a few things done.. here are some pics, tell me what u think.
Got the tube back in, along with the duct to the CAF, i know i will need to move it up and down, but could someone tell me about how much they move there light in a given flowering period.

SS850492.jpg

Built this light baffle thing out of a dryer duct kit. Except what the fan went in, which was seperate than the kit, also its the outside cover, i just removed the 3 plastic things that flap with air, trimmed the 120mm fan just slightly, and screwed it in. Although i think the design is flawed. Might have to get a bigger cover, that uses a bigger hose.

SS850494.jpg

SS850495.jpg

SS850496.jpg

SS850498.jpg

SS850500.jpg

SS850501.jpg

What can i say, i tried.

I grabbed a cig out of my pack earlier, smoked it 3/4 the way, started feeling dizzy shit. I wasnt paying no attention playing cod4, but it was a joint. Needless to say i was high when i lit it, and now i cant type. At least it was a good accident.

ima make like a tree and get out of here. :trance::trance::trance:

Been a little busy, got a few things done.. here are some pics, tell me what u think.
Got the tube back in, along with the duct to the CAF, i know i will need to move it up and down, but could someone tell me about how much they move there light in a given flowering period.

SS850492.jpg

Built this light baffle thing out of a dryer duct kit. Except what the fan went in, which was seperate than the kit, also its the outside cover, i just removed the 3 plastic things that flap with air, trimmed the 120mm fan just slightly, and screwed it in. Although i think the design is flawed. Might have to get a bigger cover, that uses a bigger hose.

SS850494.jpg

SS850495.jpg

SS850496.jpg

SS850498.jpg

SS850500.jpg

SS850501.jpg

So far they look very healthy and normal for this stage :bravo:. Considering the fact that you're running a cool tube, i think those fans should hold you down. All in all the set up looks cool and the ladies seem to like it, which is the true measuring factor. Doin good bro ;)

What can i say, i tried.

I grabbed a cig out of my pack earlier, smoked it 3/4 the way, started feeling dizzy shit. I wasnt paying no attention playing cod4, but it was a joint. Needless to say i was high when i lit it, and now i cant type. At least it was a good accident.

ima make like a tree and get out of here. :trance::trance::trance:

muahahahahaha :rofl::bravo:

i mist 2 3 times daily, and i didnt even know about the prism effect. elaborate if you will.

Water droplets have the capability to concentrate incoming light to a specific point like a magnifying glass...if the light is intense enough the water droplet can cause the light to burn little spots on the leaves. There are ways to avoid this though and still be able to mist the foliage. The finer the mist the better for one iirc.

any comments on the comparative photos? Does it look like normal growth to you guys?

I dunno, all the plants I've had were much larger than yours at the two week mark save for momdukes. She looks normal to me and the others look on the small side. If they don't have another node or two after the third week I'd be concerned about the growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom