Lyra's 1st Grow-BluePlanet Nutrients-Soil-Crimea Blue/MorningGlory/BlueHash/BlueWidow

Lyra

I went with the morning glory and the Crimea blue for their durability since this is my first grow. They both have potentially high yields and a lot of THC! I spent a lot of time researching which strains to grow, so I hope I chose well. The blue hash and the blue widow were both free so I figured, why not. : )

The Crimea blue and the morning glory both sprouted on July 29th. I threw in the other two on 8/07 after I decided to purchase an HPS light. They have all be on a 17/ 7 light schedule since 'birth.' They are currently under 2 Lights of America fluorescent grow lights.

My set up:

They are in a 5 by 5 by 6 foot closet and are in 3 gallon pots. Before they go into flower they will be transplanted into 5 gallon totes with holes cut in the bottom. I built a PVC frame when I was going to use fluorescent lights the whole grow. I was going to use the frame to mount the lights. Hopefully I'll find a way to implement this in my grow since I spent 3 hours building it!

In about a week I will be buying a 400w Watt digital/dimmable ballast with a wing reflector. It also comes with a MH and HPS bulb and a cool tube.

I'm using MG organic soil because I couldn't find anything better. It has a high PH level AND IT CAME WITH GNATS! Man was I mad. I let the top of the soil get really dry for a few days and that seemed to fix the problem. Hopefully it won't come back. As for the PH, My babies are very green and healthy looking so I'm not going to worry about that for now. I might add something to the soil when I transplant them to their five gallon containers but as of right now I'm not going to fix it if it's not broken, ya know?

I got my 3 pack of Blue Planet nutrients on Tuesday and was so excited. I know it's not recommended to start feeding nutes so early but my girls were dehydrated since I had to let the soil dry out and they were looking a little droopy. On the BPN website is says at week 2 use 1/2 teaspoon of each for a gallon of water. I figured since that age was listed, and there was an amount for it, it couldn't hurt. And it didn't. They've grown a few new leaves since then and seem a lot healthier. :love:

They started out in solo cups and were transplanted in the 3 gallon pots about 5 days later because they were stretching very bad and falling over (even though I had the light less than an inch away. I have no clue why they stretched like that. I guess the lights I'm using aren't the best) so I buried the stem a little bit which seemed to help. They got watered then (just regular tap) and I watered until some came out the bottom. It just occurred to me a few hours ago that at this stage, since they're so small and their roots aren't very big, that was a mistake. It seems to have stunted their growth a little bit. This past Tuesday on the 7th I watered them again with nutrients. They seem to have perked up, although I made the same mistake with too much water. Now that they've dried out a bit I'm getting new growth and am very excited and happy!

Pics to follow! I will only be posting pictures of the actual plants (close ups) for this whole journal. I don't want my closet to be recognized. I hope you all understand and please, ALL feedback is welcome! Even if it's tough love. I appreciate it all and can't wait until I can start helping others in turn.

Okay here's a top and side view of all the ladies. :peace:

morning glory top and side 13 days

DSCF01016.jpg

DSCF01041.jpg

crimea blue top and side 13 days

DSCF01061.jpg

DSCF01075.jpg

blue hash top and side 4 days

DSCF0112.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

blue widow top and side 4 days

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

Not much yet but they're gettin' there!

Nice strains man I'll be watching the blue widow plant I have 5 fem blue widow seeds I'm waiting to start til I'm done growing 3 dinafem fruit auto. one thing I've read about the blue widow is that it doesnt have a main cola but alot of side branching perfect for a scrog. As for your soil only way to kill the gnats would be to cook in the oven. You should look for a hydro shop they normally carry kiln cooked soil for pretty cheap not the price of FFOF

It's only been a few days, but I want to share a few updates for my own records.

My babies have exploded it seems! One day they had tiny little leaves, and the next they're big and more are starting to grow! It's exciting, especially since they look different hour to hour. MOIST soil, not wet soil, seems to be the key. I haven't watered them since I transplanted them, I'm going to give them a few more days and then see how they're doing. Temps have been in the upper sixties to mid seventies these past few days, dipping into the low sixties at night. It doesn't seem to bother them, if anything they're doing better in these lower temperatures.

I've finally nailed down exactly which light I will be purchasing on Wednesday. Instead of the 400 watt I will be going with a 600 watt. I've found a set for about 200 dollars. The ballast is digital and can dim down to 25 percent. Perfect for babies! It also has interchangeable bulbs, so only one system for both veg and flower.

Those awful gnats haven't returned so far, but I'm keeping a very close eye on the soil.

And lastly, although all strains have different needs, I want to let you guys know that I used the recommended does of blue planet nutrients on 4 day old sproutlings with NO ill effects what so ever. Maybe that can help someone out. :) \

I do have a quick question if anyone knows the answer. If not I'll try it out and report back to you guys.

I'm getting a cool tube but right now I'm not using any venting. Does anyone have any experience using these with out the ducting attached? I may hook a fan up to it to blow through it, I guess I'll see how it goes.

Well I ordered my light set up today and now it's just a waiting game. I'm so excited for it to get here! New toys!! I haven't spent this much money at once on myself in a LONG time. Years and YEARS. It's kind of hitting me right now how much I've invested in this. I'm just trying to focus on the positive and try my hardest not to feel guilty.

I was talking to a very nice lady the other day. She got laid off from a very lucrative job recently and is having a hard time sticking to a budget. I told her I have the exact opposite problem. She was so used to being able to buy what ever she wanted that she can't seem to stop. Me on the other hand am so used to making every dollar stretch that I feel oddly devastated anytime I buy something for ME. We're all the same I suppose. Money or no, at the core we all just do our best to get by. I'm hoping my plants will allow me to explore new facets of myself and maybe help me heal a little bit.

When I was a small child my mom made me load up my little wagon with all my toys and walk around the neighborhood selling them so we could buy groceries. I was happy to do it because I understood what having nothing really meant. Even the things we owned weren't really ours. And if I had to give something up, well, I could work hard and acquire it again someday. Years later as a teenager, when we were better off, I was faced with people asking me what I wanted for Christmas, or my birthday. I'm a huge animal lover and had a few small pets. I would always want toys for them. Seeing them happy is what made me happy. I'm older now, but have come full circle. Seeing my plants happy is what's making me happy right now. I'm not sure if that's healthy. I'm an emotional vampire, leaching off of others happiness because I'm incapable of having my own. It makes me a decent person I suppose, but going through this process I really hope to explore that a bit.

If anybody's reading this, I'm sorry for rambling. This is a journal though, and my hope is not only to keep track of my plants progress, but my thoughts and emotions throughout this process.

My plants have exploded and I will post pictures probably later today! :peace:

I transplanted the blue hash and blue widow out of the solo cups into bigger containers. I think they're 1 gallon. It was exciting to see their roots. Even tho' I'm not seeing much vertical growth at least now I know they ARE growing. I watered all of them today too with 1 teaspoon of micro grow and bloom each. I also topped off the morning glory and crimea blue with some dry soil after I watered to help with my gnat problem. They just won't go away it's making me so angry. It's not horrible but I know it can get there fast so I'm just trying to keep it under control for now.

My lights will be here probably monday or Tuesday . : )

And lastly I'm feeling kinda pissed looking through other people's journals. WHY aren't my plants the size of everyone else's? I feel good about them until I start making comparisons. They're about 3 weeks old and still tiny. GRRR. It just upsets me. I know I'm doing everything right. Well, I hope so. I have good genetics and they get lots of love. They go through little spurts. They'll grow like crazy for a couple days and then for the next few NOTHING. It's driving me nuts!

Looking good so far :thumb: Are you going by the time you germed or by the time they broke soil? Don t worry they will take off real soon. I had a slow start too I over fed way to early with MG so I had to wait for them to recover which felt like forever.

I'm going by the time they sprouted. Sorry for the rant, I was throwing a temper tantrum lol. I'm good at that. Just seeing how thick the stems are on some of these plants when they're the same age as my own, and seeing how many leaves they have etc kinda got me down. But the 'kids' are doing great. They're healthy and green and growing about an inch a week. I guess I shouldn't be so selfish wanting more from them then they can give me.

My girls are doing their best so I'll try not to complain anymore! Thanks growrook, I appreciate the response. :love:

I got my MS/HPS light kit today! The girls are loving it so far.

All of them seemed to perk up a little bit after a few hours under the new light. I did notice something a little unusual.

Before I planted I was stoked about my morning glory seed. I was looking forward to that one the most. I planted it along with the crimea blue and was kind of disappointed. The CB grew a lot faster, and the morning glory kept falling over because the stem was too thin. It stretched even while the light was touching it. Anyway, I buried some of the stem when I transplanted and it helped a little bit. Recently I transplanted the blue hash and blue widow so since I was mixing up soil anyway I added some to CB and MG, burying the stem on both another inch or two. That helped a lot.

Now that the morning glory has been under the new light for several hours her leaves seem to be very slightly cupping. Not the edges, the whole leaves. I did a little research and couldn't find much. My theory is that she's doing that because she was light deprived before and now she's trying her best to soak up as much as possible. Maybe the stain just needs more light than the others did and that's why her growth hasn't been as good as the rest.

It's just a theory. I could be wrong and this is her way of trying to 'sweat' because she's too warm. I guess I'll eventually find out. The temps are up to 80. A little high but I wouldn't have imagined that'd be too much for them. Especially since they're a month old now. Plus the others seem fine. At any rate she looks VERY happy. All the girls do actually. I'm HATING the increase in temperature but will be getting some venting stuff tomorrow morning if I have enough money after bills.

I will be posting pictures tomorrow afternoon!

Hi Lyra,
How are ya? Just a passing comment, you should fill them cups up with more sil to support them lanky stems.
Unless your transplanting soon, in which case bury it down a bit as if you keep it growing like this, i think you will run into problems with growth. You should get a couple of small desk fans to act as a passive intake and air circulating benefits, i have 3 - 6 inch fans one at bottom , one in middle and one up higher which draw air from bottom and out to top..
Works fine for my space. 5ftx3ftx9ft.. You dont want temps too high, 25 degrees C is fine, and RH about 30%-50. I dont like Rh too high.
How much distance is between your light and plants tops??
Try to have them at a height that allows good growth, while keeping them fairly compact.. I hope your girls all grow up well, and you get some juicy buds soon enough:)
Later mate, Smokemup;)

Hi Lyra,
How are ya?

Good, good. Your self? :peace:

Just a passing comment, you should fill them cups up with more sil to support them lanky stems.
Unless your transplanting soon, in which case bury it down a bit as if you keep it growing like this, i think you will run into problems with growth.

Yep, one step ahead of ya. :thanks: I buried them another few inches when I transplanted to two younger ones. That was the second time I had to do so. The grow lights I had before were not the best. Now that I have them under an MH bulb they've taken off. They've been under it for four days and I think that four days is equal to about 2 weeks under the fluorescents.

:thanks: for the advice and response! You guys have no idea how much I appreciate you all! I get little support from my man so you guys are the only ones I have to talk about this with.

OK so I have some major updates.

I think I'm subconsciously trying to kill my plants.

I had a thermostat propped up in CB's pot and it fell over and smooshed her! She sprang back and there's no real damage at all. Man my heart sank when I saw her like that. THEN I was installing the ducting to the cool tube and stupid me didn't think I needed to move my plants. Well, the fan popped out of the end of the cool tube and fell right on MG. Her stem snapped at the base and a few of her leaves got mauled. I put a band aide on her and then tied her to a fork. I'm amazed at these poor plants! She's doing fantastic! I just took the band aide off today and she has a little knob where the stem was broken but she's fine. None of her leaves even wilted while she was healing. I'm just amazed and so relieved!

Ok next major update. They took off since I installed the new light. They're like twice as big as the last set of pictures. The stems are thicker and it's getting harder to count their leaves every day. The blue widow and the blue hash are both smaller because they're a lot younger but they're looking fantastic as well.

And the MG and CB are starting to smell!!! I hadn't expected an odor until flowering but they smell kinda skunky already. That was a really nice surprise when I checked on them last night before lights out. :cheer:

Anyway pic tomorrow. I know I said that last time but now I mean it. I'm a PROUD MOMMA!

:peace:

Congrats Lyra!!
Soz to hear about the few mis haps youve had.. But it wouldnt be growing without mistakes! Gotta learn somehow:)
Its mad when you damage a plant and you think it will die.. But - life will find a way! ( I stole that from Jurassic Park btw:) )
They can bounce back from a bit of damage it caught in time. Luckily for us both!!
Ive had a few little hold ups along my way this grow, but this is my first LST also.. Not tryin to make excuses!!
The growth compared from a good MH , to a CFL or such is no contest.. The hydroponic cfl's are ok,t5's/t8's etc; but yeah once i pop em under my Mh they grow well.
Sounds like you have some good growth forming now on your girls, so hope they all grow well from now.. Goodluck:)
Later Chiick, Smokem..

If you mean the fan leaves fingers are cupping upwards slightly under the light, and if theyre perky looking, kind of raised up reachin for the sky - well, yeah theyre probably just loving the light:) My girl, Cindy, unless all her hands, ( fans ) are reaching up, i know she s not too happy! If your plants leaves start to droop and look limp, then something is at hand..
And as for your Elec. bills, What wattage is your light/ballast? Pending on the power rate you pay it shouldnt be too bad?? I ran my 400w Mh, 3 fans and 2 hi output cfl's last grow, over 4months, and i think there was MAYBE an $100 increase over the 34 months.. Not much IMO..
cya Lyra, Smokem..

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm not too worried about my electric bill. I did the math and the 600 watt will only put me at 10 extra bucks a month. I'm going to budget in 20 because I know that is actually uses more than 600 watts and plus my fans etc. Here are some pics of the girls!

My favorite so far Crimea Blue. She's getting stinky. :love: and is 7 inches tall at day 27. She's the one that got smashed flat as a pancake lol she sprung right back up.

DSCF01302.jpg

DSCF01254.jpg

Here's my Morning Glory. She's stinky too and she got mauled by a fan a few days ago. Her stem snapped at the base. As you can see she's a trooper! She stands in at 6 inches tall. :love: She is also 27 days old.

DSCF01311.jpg

DSCF01264.jpg

Here is my Blue Hash. She's doing fantastic considering she's a week behind the big girls. She's 5 inches tall and doing great at 20 days old.

DSCF01274.jpg

DSCF01323.jpg

And here is my Blue Widow. She's the runt at only 3 inches and is 20 days old as well. I've heard really good things about this strain, but if I don't have enough room this is the one I'm going to pull. I might put her under fluorescents in a separate room until my grow is completed. And then put her in on my next grow. I don't know I guess we'll see. I'd hate to kill her.

DSCF01282.jpg

I hope you guys enjoyed the pics. Like I said I'm a proud momma and my girls are doing better than I ever thought possible. Thanks so much for all your advice and input! :thanks:

If anyone has any advice I have a small problem.

I went to check on them a few minutes ago and the Morning Glory seems to be upset about something. The outer edges of her leaves are raised a bit. They're not curling in or down but they're just higher than the middle of the leaf.

I'm a very paranoid person in general so I'm probably getting stressed out about nothing. It's been over a week since the last watering so I decided to water them with plain water. The soil was still a little damp an inch down so I hope I didn't screw up. It's just, she was fine yesterday, and the day before, and the day before. The only variable that has changed is that each day the soil is a tad drier.

The other girls look fine but MG is a little more sensitive than they are. If anyone's come across this problem before please chime in. I hope I did OK with the water. And if not I'll be posting updates hopefully helping anyone in the future reading this.

The problem is very slight, so like I said I'm just incredibly paranoid and over protective. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom