Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Hey everyone, with my new sp-250 set to arrive this week (and hopefully my seeds as well) I'm wanting to get a set of protective glasses. On the "Zon" I'm seeing 2 types, ones with green lenses and ones with blue lenses. Looks like the green lenses are for the "blurple" lights. The sp-250 Has full spectrum white lights. What glasses do I want?

I was just wondering because they say they make the blurple light look normal through the green lenses, would everything look green with the full spec white lights?

Got a Mountain Dew bottle handy? Look at the light through both layers of the bottle, lol, does everything look green (yeah, probably)? Seem to work great for blurples - because they attenuate the red and blue, giving you a much more normal view. But the "white light" type illumination is much less unbalanced (in terms of the Mark I eyeball, human), so by doing its job the perception will very likely appear greenish to you with them.

I have a pair, and that is my... er... perception of your perception ;) . I phrased it thusly because my vision isn't-- there was a degree of heredity color-blindness, and then when I was a little tyke, having to amuse myself at times, discovered how... interesting it was to discover the sun as a target for observatino. And then... I got binoculars.

Luckily, I happened to read how early astronomers tended to go functionally blind if they tried observing our home star to much, and stopped. But I (badly) needed eyeglasses by age six, and the vision has declined massively in the decades since. And there's the whole glaucoma thing now.

So I cannot say for sure how YOU will perceive the light through a pair of green-lensed shades, but that's my impression. I don't recall for sure, but I would guess that the blue-lensed ones are for HPS, since those bulbs will be heavy in other colors.

For honest white light, probably a decent set of polarized sunglasses that provide full coverage. The kind you pick up if you have light-sensitive eyes and want to go out in heavy sun, yeah? But IDK for sure on that one, it's just more along the lines of a considered thought. Last Autumn I went through my sunglasses budget trying to find a pair that helped with the blurple stuff. Then the Mars-Hydro rep was kind enough to throw in a pair of their (green) protective eyewear with one of my packages, lol, so that problem was solved but the short of it is that I don't appear to have any normal ones; I think I must have tossed my "street" pair in the box with all the odd-colored cheapos that I'd bought locally trying to find a good blurple pair (which is when I figured out that, if you have nothing better, grab a green pop bottle) .

- - - - - - - - - -

I have a pair of SP-150 and one TS-1000, and I think they'll compliment each other when used in the same space, plus give me some options; small, young plants can go under one or two, all three for maximum lighting, if necessary I could pull a light as I begin harvesting autoflowering plants (this run will be 100% autos) to flower a photoperiodic plant or two. That last part would be if I choose to start photoperiodic plants before the auto grow is finished and the photos end up trying to overgrow the autos, maybe. Options.

- - - - - - - - - -

(Im)patiently waiting on my seeds to pop. Just past the 48-hour mark. Temperature is a few degrees below optimum, I'm hoping that's mostly the reason. They're a wee bit older than I would have liked, but I gave each a quick ( <30 second) rinse in regular 3% H₂O₂ before adding the H₂O so as to kill any surface microbes and then add an O₂ boost as it decomposed into the water. Didn't have any sandpaper handy, but this has seemed to help my in the past.

I kind of placed all of my (autoflowering ;) ) eggs into one basket this time. I do have more seeds to replace any that do not grow, but not the variety; mostly DDA and SSDC. Here is my list of hopefuls (all feminized):
1. Critical XXL Auto
2. Auto Northern HOG
3. White Widow Auto (CKS)
4. Blow Mind Auto
5. SSDC
6. Dark Devil Auto
7. Auto Jock Horror x Auto Amnesia
8. Northern Lights Auto
9. Train Wreck Auto

Grow space is a Mars Hydro 39"x39" tent. Decent quality, reasonable price (remember the discount code ;) ), a forum sponsor's product :thumb:. And, with my choice of lighting, it seemed appropriate, lol. I wish I could afford one of their 28" x 28" ones, too, or a 24" x 48" one. But I've spent my grow budget for the year (and the next, and the next...).

Figured I'd throw up a general update before anyone asks what's up and where I've been. I was away on a job in a rural area with no Internet access (and something called "roaming" on the cell phone, when I felt like climbing a hill and could get a signal at all). I'm back now, likely to stay close to home for most of the remainder of the year. No worries!

I'm looking into these Mars Pro II Epistar lights and everything looks really nice,I'm just worried about the noise that seems to be rated at about 60 dB? I would be interested in hearing the opinions of people who have these units and how loud they seem to you?

If you run a decent exhaust fan and carbon filter setup, you probably won't notice. And if you don't feel the need to do that, lol, park the tent somewhere besides next to your bed because the odor from your grow will be "louder" than any noise it will make anyway ;) .

If it's that you fear visitors to the main part of your home might hear, again, your LED fans will probably be quieter than your exhaust setup. If not (or if you want to disguise that, too), consider getting an aquarium and parking it in a prominent location (or directly on the other side of the wall that your grow is behind, I suppose). All the "bubbling" should serve as white noise - and the fish will be more relaxing to look at than whatever they've got running on television this year, lol.

Or get your wife pregnant - a baby can be louder than the explosion of Krakatoa (often between 3:45am and 4:30am) and, as it grows up, nearly as destructive ;) .

If you enjoy - or can at least tolerate it - baroque classical music works well, too. Seems to be a mood-lifter when played as quiet background music and, at 92dB, helps you get stuff done (whatever the stuff happens to be). And if it's loud enough for the neighbors to hear, they might not know how to react (unlike with heavy metal, when the pitchfork and torch brigade tends to come knocking).

You know I'm happy with em!

Nice-looking grow! What size are those containers? I have a couple five-gallon GeoPots and a few of their ten-gallon ones, but will have most of this grow's plants in cheap 3-gallon grow bags (was running out of money when I got to that line in the supplies list :rolleyes: ) with any "overflow" ending up in passive hydroponics (hempy) green two-liter bottles or black 5.8-quart trash cans. Oh, and one 18-ounce (generic) Solo cup ;) .

Nice-looking grow! What size are those containers? I have a couple five-gallon GeoPots and a few of their ten-gallon ones, but will have most of this grow's plants in cheap 3-gallon grow bags (was running out of money when I got to that line in the supplies list :rolleyes: ) with any "overflow" ending up in passive hydroponics (hempy) green two-liter bottles or black 5.8-quart trash cans. Oh, and one 18-ounce (generic) Solo cup ;) .
I actually just finished moving all the photo plants up to 10 gal GeoPots. They were all started in Vivosun "cheapo" 3 gal fabric pots.
I left the 2 autos in the 3 gal until they finish.

Everyone is basically shoulder-to-shoulder now.
2019-04-22-14-26-50.jpg

The grow area is roughly 5X8

Here is my list of hopefuls (all feminized):
1. Critical XXL Auto
2. Auto Northern HOG
3. White Widow Auto (CKS)
4. Blow Mind Auto
5. SSDC
6. Dark Devil Auto
7. Auto Jock Horror x Auto Amnesia
8. Northern Lights Auto
9. Train Wreck Auto

LIFE!!! Not much yet, two of them each have a tiny rootlet showing. No, I didn't look to see which they were. They'll get planted either late tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I'll have a reason to plant several more at the same time.

Journal time approaches:p. I wonder which will be first to actually sprout from the "ground." Any guesses, lol?
:woohoo:

Back
Top Bottom