Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Thank you for your reply... I appreciate your time, and helping another member understand something is never a waste of time. We are all here to learn and grow as a 420 proud community. Even though I don't agree, I wanted to see your reasoning behind your opinion and I appreciate it.

Just to let you envision my idea better, regardless of the "shape" of the light output, we both can agree that with either shape, intensity is lost on the edges of the light footprint. Both LED and HID, as par test comparisons show this effect. Now when working inside this footprint (whether circle or square), due to the square inverse law, each time you double the distance away from a light source, the intensity goes down 1/4. So directly below your light you are getting much more Par Umol/lumens than on the outsides of the light footprint. So like I mentioned, regardless of the "shape" of the output, with both lights dimming near the boundary of the light footprint, wouldn't it gain intensity by bringing it closer to the light due to decreasing the distance to the light source (within the light footprint)?

This is the way I see it, right or wrong, to me it makes perfect common sense as well. Either way I appreciate your input and hope that my more elaborate description also explains why my theory isn't so far off either. Either way, v=scrog or scrog or whatever, Lets all grow some dank and medicate the world! :) peace my friend :)

I would simplify it even more than either of you and say that, in theory, LED beats HID in the one major aspect that I'm interested in, and that's less heat radiated at ANY distance, allowing it to be closer to the plant and delivering more light. The only restriction on that advantage would be footprint size, which is why I plan to spread my particular grow (3 plants at a time) area with 3 lights, but all close enough for each plant to share some of the other two's light. I can get my lights closer to the plants than I could with the one high-watt HID, and even with less watts drawn, can get more light to each plant, increasing the yield. (And hopefully, decreasing cooling costs.)

Sara what lights are out of stock in the USA? And when will new stock arrive? I am looking at the reflector 96x3w and MarsII 400. I will be looking at placing that order by the end of this month.

Hi Alex... I'm obviously not Sara but I think she posted that they just got thru customs and would be at their warehouse on Fri. I have a Mars II 400 coming from that shipment so assume there will be more in the warehouse once the ship is unloaded but I know she stated that if you wanted the lights coming in that they need to be ordered soon because there was not that many of them so guess if your going to wait to order you might better talk to Sara and make sure they will still be in stock by the end of the month. Good luck. I'm so excited that mine will be here soon.........:circle-of-love:

Thank you for your reply... I appreciate your time, and helping another member understand something is never a waste of time. We are all here to learn and grow as a 420 proud community. Even though I don't agree, I wanted to see your reasoning behind your opinion and I appreciate it.

Just to let you envision my idea better, regardless of the "shape" of the light output, we both can agree that with either shape, intensity is lost on the edges of the light footprint. Both LED and HID, as par test comparisons show this effect. Now when working inside this footprint (whether circle or square), due to the square inverse law, each time you double the distance away from a light source, the intensity goes down 1/4. So directly below your light you are getting much more Par Umol/lumens than on the outsides of the light footprint. So like I mentioned, regardless of the "shape" of the output, with both lights dimming near the boundary of the light footprint, wouldn't it gain intensity by bringing it closer to the light due to decreasing the distance to the light source (within the light footprint)?

This is the way I see it, right or wrong, to me it makes perfect common sense as well. Either way I appreciate your input and hope that my more elaborate description also explains why my theory isn't so far off either. Either way, v=scrog or scrog or whatever, Lets all grow some dank and medicate the world! :) peace my friend :)

Thanks for all your help and information on these forums and Youtube Icemud, even though I tend to disagree with you on this subject, im sure I speak for many others when I say your journals and posts are really useful to us new growers. Cheers :)

Thanks for all your help and information on these forums and Youtube Icemud, even though I tend to disagree with you on this subject, im sure I speak for many others when I say your journals and posts are really useful to us new growers. Cheers :)

You guys are failing to get that Ice has 3 lights in his tent. It's highly feasible to say that he can angle his lights to fit the shape of his V. While I will agree with 1 light not working as well. He's set up to make it work.

I would simplify it even more than either of you and say that, in theory, LED beats HID in the one major aspect that I'm interested in, and that's less heat radiated at ANY distance, allowing it to be closer to the plant and delivering more light. The only restriction on that advantage would be footprint size, which is why I plan to spread my particular grow (3 plants at a time) area with 3 lights, but all close enough for each plant to share some of the other two's light. I can get my lights closer to the plants than I could with the one high-watt HID, and even with less watts drawn, can get more light to each plant, increasing the yield. (And hopefully, decreasing cooling costs.)

I would be careful with your theory that can have plants closer. Yes the heat output is not there compared to the HPS, but I have noticed a weird thing going on with my plants when too close to light for to long, they start showing yellowing of leaves that looks like what a MG def. is, but I am pretty sure it the LED form of light burn. I am going with the philosophy of mounting the lights on ceiling of tent and letting plants grow up to them.

I will try and remember to post pic when I get home of this.

On my last grow, my plants were within 12" of the Mars II 80x5w and loved it :) no signs of burning or discoloration at all, just nice frosty buds! I do have to say these lights run pretty cool, definitely no more worries of leaving my house for a few days and coming back to ashes :) Sounds like a great plan with your lights, I did a similar things and use 3x lights now in my tent, have much more available light, less heat and using about 1/2 the electricity as my HID...I definitely love LED !

I would be careful with your theory that can have plants closer. Yes the heat output is not there compared to the HPS, but I have noticed a weird thing going on with my plants when too close to light for to long, they start showing yellowing of leaves that looks like what a MG def. is, but I am pretty sure it the LED form of light burn. I am going with the philosophy of mounting the lights on ceiling of tent and letting plants grow up to them.

:thumb::high-five:

Your welcome my friend! Yeah it seems with growing there are so many approaches that it seems all of us growers adapt to what space we have and make it work for us :) I love this aspect of growing where we can approach it how we want, and still produce great results :) Cheers and glad you could enjoy my videos :)

Interesting. Thanks for the input.

I plan to use the reflector series for both veg and flower. I'm building my growroom 1m x 1m and I'm flexible with height until 2.60 m.

What model covers my room better?
How much height should i give my growroom to be ok with the light ?

I plan to use the reflector series for both veg and flower. I'm building my growroom 1m x 1m and I'm flexible with height until 2.60 m.

What model covers my room better?
How much height should i give my growroom to be ok with the light ?

If I where you I would get enough height to mount light at 6-8 feet and let plants grow to them. You can always lower light on ropes/chains, but cant go above ceiling of tent/room.

PS : Why 144x3w panel has 3 fans and 192x3w has 2 ?

Bigger Fans I would think.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about with regards to light burn, see the slight yellowing in the veins. Like I have said looks like an MG def., but I been feeding her plenty of CA/MG and pHed it to 6.5.
DSCN114811.JPG

I have yet to have it happen under the Mars 2, only my COB light.

As i have said before this is just a working theory, I could be blatantly wrong.

Here is a pic of top bud from same plant, to show what the LED from TopLEd can do, and I can get better I think.

HS_close6.jpg

when can i order a mars 700 flowering spectrum?
Hi kb. Sara is usually not on here until about 9pm but I'm sure she will answer as soon as she can and she will take the order from you without the site being up. I have bought 4 from her and have never gone through the web site..........:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom