Math on seeds

Bob Loblaw

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's not comfortable with the math on the price of seeds. From what I gathered an average plant will have about 3600 seeds....
Sooo in my tiny little mind I see 1 plant as representing a $36,000 profit. Did I miss something in the translation? Capitalism? Too many seeds? OK lets say it's 3000 seeds/plant.... math says $30,000 profit.

New math, 5 seeds for $40 = 3600/5= 720 x$40= $28,800/plant still seems like capitalism at its finest.
or 3000seeds/5=600 x$40= $24,000/plant

am I kookoo? or what. or are we all kookoo.

Packaging, design, advertising, sponsorships, website maintenance, phone /email staff, experienced growers, electricity, a place to grow said magical plants, equipment and lights for growing probably quite a lot of plants if they are truly breeders, a place to store product, These are just a few of the things you've forgotten.

Your not alone. Lots of us are uncomfortable spending too much on seeds. I couldn't imagine running autos and having to buy a seed for every plant I ran.

At the end of the day the product is worth whatever the customer will pay for it. While new folks are happy to pay $200 for a 6 pack of hype seeds they will continue to be sold as such.

You’re not paying for birdseed. You’re paying for good genetics, the effort of breeding, packaging, shipping costs, legal and financial risk, advertising, a good reputation, etc. All those things that make a seed business work, and worth buying from. That doesn’t come for free.
Also they know that for some it’s a one shot deal as growers will breed their own afterwards.

But I’ll tell you what. I can sell you some cheaper. Contact me. Orders by the 1000 lot and I’ll give them to you for half that price. What strain do you want? I’ll print out some labels right now.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's not comfortable with the math on the price of seeds. From what I gathered an average plant will have about 3600 seeds....
Sooo in my tiny little mind I see 1 plant as representing a $36,000 profit. Did I miss something in the translation? Capitalism? Too many seeds? OK lets say it's 3000 seeds/plant.... math says $30,000 profit.

New math, 5 seeds for $40 = 3600/5= 720 x$40= $28,800/plant still seems like capitalism at its finest.
or 3000seeds/5=600 x$40= $24,000/plant

am I kookoo? or what. or are we all kookoo.

There are a number of reasons seed is so expensive aside from pure greed lol

Supply and Demand - for many years seeds were hard to come by in most places due to the illegality of cannabis, including just the seed in many countries.

Again, because of cannabis being illegal, breeding facilities had to remain under the radar. If you got caught, you were looking at fines and likely jail time, so it needed to be lucrative or why bother. Even shipping seeds to some places could land you in jail. Marc Emery is a prime example, 5 years in a US jail for shipping seeds from Canada to the US.

Until the world governments pull their heads out of their asses, cannabis seeds will remain high.

The biggest thing to keep in mind with seeds is your buying time. That breeder (if it's a good one) has likely spent years of their life working that strain, how much is not having to wait worth to you? For me I'm good up to about $10usd/seed. $15 is pushing it. $20 out of the question. When you buy reg seeds you get that whole genetic line to play with forever. Not just one plant.

So while they may be making a huge profit/plant now compared to a grower selling flower for years they weren't.

They do deserve to be paid for what they have built but some are greedy.

Wow that didn't take long. Expenses? lol.
I'm not saying there are no expenses but be reasonable man. I'm growing 4 plants what do you think my expenses are? Thousands lol. Shipping, packaging? that's still a joke right?

So, how much are these seeds from your plants going to be worth on the market?
Nothing.

Spend a few years breeding and building up a functioning reputable business, that someone would actually want to buy from, and come back and talk about how it cost nothing.

I have the Ferrari strain too by the way. $25 per five pack. Huge yields. 32% THC. Order now

Wow that didn't take long. Expenses? lol.
I'm not saying there are no expenses but be reasonable man. I'm growing 4 plants what do you think my expenses are? Thousands lol. Shipping, packaging? that's still a joke right?
I reckon your expense outweighs your profit significantly.

So, how much are these seeds from your plants going to be worth on the market?
Nothing.

Spend a few years breeding and building up a functioning reputable business, that someone would actually want to buy from, and come back and talk about how it cost nothing.

I have the Ferrari strain too by the way. $25 per five pack. Huge yields. 32% THC. Order now

I don't remember saying anywhere that I wanted to produce seeds. Just bringing up a subject. I also don't remember saying I was looking to buy seeds just yet.

Back
Top Bottom