Math on seeds

It’s not really any different from any other consumer product. Clothing, toys, cellphones, Nike shoes. All that stuff is dirt cheap to produce. It’s worth what it’s perceived to be worth- what the market will pay. Seeds are still my lowest growing expense and one of the most fun and gratifying.

What profits you be talking about Willis? I've sold nothing. I smoke or give away everything I produce.
My point exactly. You're all expenses! Just busting your balls though friend, I'd rather pay less too but I seriously doubt anyone is making anywhere near 30k per plant.

Capitalism is a factory produced beer that thinks it should be paid like fine champagne. That's why in order to avoid the veins in my skull bursting (and to keep myself from being more disgusted with mankind than I am now), I don't ask people what their profit margin is. They'd lie anyway.

My point exactly. You're all expenses! Just busting your balls though friend, I'd rather pay less too but I seriously doubt anyone is making anywhere near 30k per plant.
On this I agree somewhat, I too would like to think that those profit levels I suggested are wrong, just looking for some confirmation on that.

In all reality @Bob Loblaw, cannabis in general is a very very lucrative business. When you consider that I grow and if I tally my expenses, it cost me under $1.00 a gram to produce (labour included) and could easily sell for $3/g , that’s a 200% profit.

Again I say, blame the world leaders for being uneducated idiots

I'm guessing a serious seed producer would have good times and bad. We may be wrong to think everything offered up is bought immediately. I'm sure there are some losses and more expenses than we can account for. But obviously can be profitable to some degree, which I am cool with. Lots of selection and a huge range of price points in the market really.

Well I look at it this way Bob, if the governments way back when, hadn’t demonized cannabis and made it illegal, it wouldn’t have needed to be an underground business.

Having said that though, they actually did us lovers of the plant a favour. We have an awesome selection of strains, that would never had been produced in a legal market, bred by lovers of the plant rather than some multi-national corporation who would have used GMO techniques to produce “patentable” strains that you could only get if you bought from them and would be illegal to reproduce.

I'm guessing a serious seed producer would have good times and bad. We may be wrong to think everything offered up is bought immediately. I'm sure there are some losses and more expenses than we can account for. But obviously can be profitable to some degree, which I am cool with. Lots of selection and a huge range of price points in the market really.
That's all good but I totally disagree with the last line. Selection? How does a grower even know the true origin of the parents. 2 different growers have the same parents and make seed but now we have 2 different strains from the same 2 parents? How different are all these "strains"?

Huge price range? bla

Well I look at it this way Bob, if the governments way back when, hadn’t demonized cannabis and made it illegal, it wouldn’t have needed to be an underground business.

Having said that though, they actually did us lovers of the plant a favour. We have an awesome selection of strains, that would never had been produced in a legal market, bred by lovers of the plant rather than some multi-national corporation who would have used GMO techniques to produce “patentable” strains that you could only get if you bought from them and would be illegal to reproduce.

Hmm GMO.... any experimenters out there? Thanks but I didn't need that.......

OUCH! my brain...... gotta go smoke something stronger.....brb :lot-o-toke:

There is plenty of differences between the various strains. Of course some of it is BS and marketing crap of course. But I've grown enough to see lots of variety. We don't know the lineage other than what is claimed, but that has nothing to do with the price really unless they are using popular strain names as a selling point. Buyer beware like always. I've seen seeds from 5 bucks each to over 20. Is one better than the other? Only one way to find out.

Prohibition is a wonderful tool for driving up profits. It’s incredible.

Running three 600 watt HID lights, each covering a bit less than a 4x4 area, my entire grow covers about 40 square feet of growing area.
To use the brilliant ‘sheets of plywood’ standard developed by Uncle Cannabis, my grow measures about 1.25 SOP. If I want to go for max production methods I can fairly easily produce a pound a month in flowering. Standard wholesale price was $2400 a pound for quite a few years. Before that it was $3000- $3500.

My extended family runs a small organic farm and cultivates about ten acres at any given time, including some huge greenhouses. To be honest they barely scrape by.

Prices are dropping, but as of a few years ago my 1.25 sheets of plywood farm was producing a larger potential profit margin than theirs was. It probably still is most months of the year.

If it was cops doing the math I’m sure the ‘street value’ would get me that Ferrari. As it is I occasional trade for jars of homemade jelly and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom