Mitt's Mainlining Manual

Three days since the first topping...expect for SAGE. She'll forever be three days behind....but I did top her yesterday.
I have one major problem and that is humidity. I live in a condo and the air circulation is awesome...but it's impossible for me to get the humidity up. It's about 25 in my living quarters and I can only get it up to 26 in the tent, and that's with a soaked towel inside, as well as a humidifier going right by the air intake. Oh....and I also partially covered up the exhaust fan. It's on the lowest setting but I think it's still sucking out too much air...which is why I can't get the humidity down. Grrrrrrr....

Anyway...they are growing, but you can see on the fan leaves that they aren't the happiest.

Today I topped up the pots with soil. I like to mound it so that the majority of the water flows down the outer part of the pots.
I also added a tomato ring to two of the pots. The local hardware store only had two, but I will get two more at some point. They are just a few bucks each and will support the colas nicely.

Photos:

Purple Trainwreck

PTW23.jpg
PTW13.jpg

COMA KUSH

CK19.jpg
CK24.jpg

[FONT=&quot]AKORN
[/FONT]

AK131.jpg
AK232.jpg

SAGE
She is a few days behind the others. The ring looks a lot taller in the photo than what is actually is. It's about 12" above the top of the pot.
(excuse the mess behind her)

SAGE110.jpg

Group shot

ML-111.jpg

Mittin your doing a great job documenting your grow.

Man it's a drastic method of growing. Cutting a plant in half :thedoubletake:

Really itching to try this, won't be until next winter for me though.

:popcorn:

Watching and learning

Hey Piña,

Thank you for your kind words. I forgot that it's actually a bit of work keeping a decent journal going. I'm glad you and a few others are interested. As I stated in my first post, this may be a manual of what NOT to do more so than what TO do....lol

Yeah, it kinda hurts to cut so much off the plant, leaving just a couple little growth tips. But it makes me happy knowing they'll be putting all their energy exactly where I want them to!

Update time!

This update is more of some general information about what's happening in the grow.

As I stated previously, my grow environment is perfect. (LOL....edit...Isn't) Right now my main problem is humidity. It's only 25-26%. That's about half of what it should be for Veg. Not ideal but at least we can see that these plants will still grow decently in non-ideal conditions.....thank goodness!! In a couple months as the weather turns warmer, my challenge will be keeping the temps down. Right now the temps hover around 25-27 C or 77-80 F.

The ladies are four weeks old today. I have given them very little nutrients. Just a micro amount when they were seedlings(weeks 1-3)...less than 1ml/litre of water is what I mixed. When I transplanted, I soaked the pots with about 1.25 or so litres which was mixed at 1ml/litre. That was 8 days ago and I haven't added any water since. So at four weeks, I have given them very minimal nutes and they seem to be looking good...nice and green.

Now.....what I haven't told you is that I will be doing two different styles of main-lining. The original "Nugbuckets" method as well as the hybrid method used by "Nebula". Nebula's method is said to save Veg time while still producing yields similar to Nugbuckets method. This comparison may be totally irrelevant as they will all switch to flower at the same time. But at least we will see that Nebuls's way will save us from topping three times....as it only requires two toppings. Seeing I have two Sativa's and two Indica's, I will apply one version to each type. All four girls are different strains so maybe we'll see if some strains adapt better to this sort of training.

I think that's all I wanted to note for now. Below are the girls this morning. Other than SAGE, they have grown two sets of leaves/nodes and are working on their third set. It's been 5 days since they were topped so that amount of growth seems pretty normal...at least in my experience and growing conditions. I think they should be ready for a second topping in a few days.

Anyhoos....have a great weekend!

SAGE

SAGE210.jpg

PURPLE TRAINWRECK

PTW32.jpg

AKORN

CK32.jpg

COMA KUSH This girl is growing the fastest, but her first set of nodes aren't perfectly symmetrical....which they are supposed to be for this method to work optimally. Maybe the second set will be symmetrical. :)

AK321.jpg

Update time!

Alrighty then....here we go. The young ladies are now a month old. It's been 8 days since we did their first topping. Time for another one!

I changed my plan a bit. Only one plant (Akorn) will be using the Nebula hybrid main-line method. I originally planned on doing this to SAGE as well, but I kinda wanted to see how she'd react if I did her second topping a bit early. So....three girls had their second topping today while Akorn will get her second later on this week...which will also be her last topping. She only gets two toppings.

The only maintenance I've done in the past week is one watering and a bit of training to keep their two main stems low and parallel to the ground . They got about 1.75 litres each. The nutes were mixed at approx. 1.75ml/litre. No particular reason for the strange ratio of nutes. I had seven litres of water ready and added 12ml of nutes. There you go...do the math. :smokin:

Let's get on to the photo section then. There will be before and after shots of the three topped today.

PURPLE TRAINWRECK

The description of her from the website states "she'll grow to the size of a monster if you give her all she needs". Well, I can tell already that she has some amazing growing power. She's already quite a bit beefier than the others.

Before topping

PTW43.jpg
PTW53.jpg

After

PTW63.jpg
PTW73.jpg

SAGE

She's a few days younger than the others and her four growth tips are pretty small but I figured I'd see how she responds.

Before

SAGE36.jpg
SAGE41.jpg

After

SAGE51.jpg
SAGE61.jpg

COMA KUSH

I mentioned before that according to Nugbuckets, the growth tips are supposed to be symmetrical but this girls first set from where she was topped are staggered. Rather than waiting several more days for a new set of nodes/growth tips that are even, I thought I'd just go with them as they are. As you can see in the last photo, I slightly damaged the one growth tip when I did the first topping. It's caused that side to grow a little slower than the other side. Whoooops!:hmmmm:
While she doesn't have the beefy base like PTW, her growth rate is quicker than the others, as you can see in her four main growth tips.

Before

CK41.jpg
CK51.jpg

After

CK61.jpg
CK71.jpg

AKORN

If a few days she should have four nodes per side. I will then top her just above the third node and remove the second node, leaving her with four nodes/growth tips per side. From that point on, I will just let her grow. Very little maintenance will be needed after that.

AK417.jpg
AK610.jpg
AK513.jpg

That's it for now. Catch ya later on this week when Akorn gets her second and final topping.

Looking good! .
I haven't tried Nebulas version yet. I might top some of my girls a 4th time and let them go for 16 tops. I was thinking Nebulas style might be a faster way to 16 . Seems like you can have 16 tops with Nebulas style in roughly the same time it would take to reach 8 tops with Nugbuckets style. Going to have to try that out sometime.
Keep'em green! .✌️

-------------------------------------------
Be who you are. Do what you do.
Those who are meant to journey
with you will find their way.
:Namaste:
.KGBs Multi-strain Manifold. - Journals in Progress
420magazine mobile app

Looking good! .
I haven't tried Nebulas version yet. I might top some of my girls a 4th time and let them go for 16 tops. I was thinking Nebulas style might be a faster way to 16 . Seems like you can have 16 tops with Nebulas style in roughly the same time it would take to reach 8 tops with Nugbuckets style. Going to have to try that out sometime.
Keep'em green! .✌️

Hey KGB,

16 tops would be awesome. I don't think I'd try that in my tent. Not enough room I don't think. I'd love to give it a go outdoors someday though.

Update time

This update is for Akorn only. A couple of interesting things here.
This is the Nebula method main line. It's said that for the second topping I should let it grow four nodes on each side, topping just above the third node. Then removing the second nodes, leaving the first and third nodes on each side...giving you the final 8 growth tips.
The reason for using the third node rather than the second is due to how the plant grows. The growth tips on the second node are on the top and bottom of the branch. Nebula suggests using the third node where the growth tips are on the side...promoting better vertical growth....I guess.
The part I don't like about this is that doing so leaves a pretty big difference is size of growth tips from the first and third nodes. Soo...I did my own scientific experiment and slightly twisted the branch so that the second nodes are more horizontal than vertical. I think it worked pretty good.

The other interesting thing is that I will have a total of nine cola's rather than eight. Upon giving her the second topping today, I noticed that the second node on one side had three growth tips. Interesting.....but I'll take it.

That said....Akorn is now done with her training. Now we just let her nine growth tips grow grow grow.

A few shots of the lil lady....and group shot.

Before topping

AK710.jpg

After topping

AK810.jpg
AK94.jpg
AK7-1.jpg

Group shot

ML-121.jpg

Update time

This update is for Akorn only. A couple of interesting things here.
This is the Nebula method main line. It's said that for the second topping I should let it grow four nodes on each side, topping just above the third node. Then removing the second nodes, leaving the first and third nodes on each side...giving you the final 8 growth tips.
The reason for using the third node rather than the second is due to how the plant grows. The growth tips on the second node are on the top and bottom of the branch. Nebula suggests using the third node where the growth tips are on the side...promoting better vertical growth....I guess.
The part I don't like about this is that doing so leaves a pretty big difference is size of growth tips from the first and third nodes. Soo...I did my own scientific experiment and slightly twisted the branch so that the second nodes are more horizontal than vertical. I think it worked pretty good.

The other interesting thing is that I will have a total of nine cola's rather than eight. Upon giving her the second topping today, I noticed that the second node on one side had three growth tips. Interesting.....but I'll take it.

That said....Akorn is now done with her training. Now we just let her nine growth tips grow grow grow.

A few shots of the lil lady....and group shot.

Before topping

AK710.jpg

After topping

AK810.jpg
AK94.jpg
AK7-1.jpg

Group shot

ML-121.jpg

Now they are some heavy duty tomato cages ! Where did you purchase them Mittins ? They look almost identical to the ones in Nugbuckets mainlining thread.

Hi Mittin

Had some time to catch up, looking good, and your keeping it very "manual"esque :cheesygrinsmiley::goodjob:

You mentioned trying to do this outside. How would that work? I'd have thought controlling the light schedule, and when flowering starts would be key later?

I'll be doing a couple of plants outside this summer, and making them look less like a Christmas tree could be very handy.

:Namaste:

Now they are some heavy duty tomato cages ! Where did you purchase them Mittins ? They look almost identical to the ones in Nugbuckets mainlining thread.
Hey Blighty! I'm from Canada and picked them up at Canadian Tire. I'm sure they can be found at any Wal-Mart or definitely at any green house. They were just a few bucks each.

Back
Top Bottom