Mota's First Indoor Grow - White Widow, Northen Lights & Big Blue

DAY 43 - DAY 5 INTO FLOWERING

They started to show sex Thursday..

Here they are
#1 is in the back, #2 is to the right and #3 to the left.
day43all.JPG

#1 - Pretty sure this one is a male
day43_1a.JPG

The bastard's balls
day43_1b.JPG

And other shot of his balls
day43_1c.JPG

#2 - I'm not sure if it's a male or a female...
day43_2a.JPG

It seems to have balls, but white pistils are there too. With the HPS lighting it's hard to see.. You can make out a couple balls but there seems to be as many white pistils.. A possible Hermi at this early stage?
day43_1b.JPG

day43_2c.JPG

#3 - a PURPLE FEMALE!!! :cheesygrinsmiley: - Standing tall at 18"
day43_3a.JPG

The flash went off on this pic (wierd) so you can easily make out the white pistils! As well as a little purple color in the leafs..!
day43_3b.JPG

day43_3c.JPG

Recap
#1 - Male
#2 - Sex is unknown - It has balls and white pistils, maybe a Hermi..
#3 - Female

I was wondering, since #1 and #2 inner growth around the stem was very dense since the begining, is this a male caracteristic or simply a strain caracteristic?

When should I get the bastard out of the room? As soon as possible I guess right?

Yep. If you have somewhere you could grow it further, I would go with that. Otherwise, chop it. I dont breed so males are pretty much just fun to look at and a danger to girls. If you plan on breeding in the future, however, gathering pollen would not be a bad idea.

I took #1 out of the room this evening.
#2 is still awkward, today it seemed to have alot more white pistils and a couple balls.. Could it be a hermi?? I think I'll wait a couple more days before I decide what to do with it..

Also, I had a question about the 4 other plants I have in vegetation. Is it possible to put them in 12/12, wait until they show sex and then put them back in 18/6? I'm thinking that this might be a better plan to know what I'm dealing with. I could then chop the males and only keep the females and get clones off of her. Can you do that to a plant? Or is it a bad idea?

Long as they haven't opened.
Oh and you get them All :cheesygrinsmiley:

Better than taken it now with little to no Trichs and not even close to bein' ripe. I'd rather have some bud than nothin' but Trim/Trash.

or were ya' talkin' that easy to clone?

It's all easy when you know the Way :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ive done that with a hermie that I had, just pinched its balls off when I saw them and then it just started growing hairs...i figure its worth a shot.

About your plants that you are vegging, a good thing to do is take 2 clones off of each plant before you flower. Then flower the big ones and when you see which ones are males you can throw away the corresponding clones and the males. Then you only have female clones left, and twice as many females as you would have.

Hope this works for you...let us know what you chose to do.

It's been a while since the last update. Things have been going well.

I cannot tell what strain it is yet. Remember I have a mix pack, it's either NL, WW or Big Blue (NL x Blueberry). NL is suppose to be short and bushy, she's definitely not short, she's standing tall at 31".. It's not an issue, I have lot of room for her..! So I'm starting to wonder if she might not be WW. I'm sure she'll grow an other couple inchs, I'm in no rush. I would say she has about a dozen buds on her, so I'm happy with that. The buds seem to be getting there, it's only been 2 weeks, so I'll give her time.

Flowering day 15
Day 54 from seed

day54_b.JPG

Top shot
day54_a.JPG

Side top shot
day54_d.JPG

Little growing bud from a lower branch
day54_e.JPG

It's been a while since I gave an update on the other 4 plants in veg.
Now there are only 3 left. Let me explain. For some wacky reason, I have no clue how, but one showed sex(?!?) and it was balls.. They are on day 32 from seed, I just find it funny that it showed sex this early and I didn't even put it under 12/12, it's still under 18/6...

Day 32 from seed

Here are the remaining 3
day32_all.JPG

day32_5.JPG

day32_6.JPG

day32_7.JPG

Since this is my first grow, I've been trying to learn as much as possible about the plants. When I chopped down the males, I took the time to really look at them, pull off the leafs and branchs to see how resistant the plant it.. Even practiced the supercrop method Moose mentionned earlier in the thread - rupturing of the phloem along vertical spacings of the central stalk and all leader branches - gently sqeezing the stem between 2 fingers with an increasing pressure till you feel a pop - I wanted to practice before trying this on a live plant in my futur grow, haha..!

I've also been meaning to ask you growing gurus something.. I noticed that the main cola was halo, it was strong, but the "empty", is this normal? The bottom part of the main cola was hard alll around and filled inside. Let me know, I'm wondering if this is normal or if it means something else..

The hollowing should fill out if you let the buds fully ripen. This trait tends to come when the sativa influence in the breeding expresses itself.
Great to see you practising the supercropping. Once you have the "feel" for the 'pop', it comes easy and has dramatic results in yield. I would suggest all who grow in a confined area use the supercropping technique.

Excellent idea using your male plants to practice super cropping! I'll remember and do that in the future. Your plants look wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom