MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

I think so, yes. Not sure what I'll put where, but we'll see when the time comes. Most likely the tallest will go in the 3x3 so I can flip it when it's ready instead of having to try and keep it trimmed as the rest catch up.

I may also sprout the shortest one first, then give a week or two before dropping the others.

Who knows what will be in my head by then. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I am looking forward to the IHG stuff and the Barney's. No real breeder info on the IHG stuff I picked up, but a little digging helped pick up the strains and a general idea.

For the Barney's stuff:

MORNING GLORY™ is the result of a three way strain cross, a combination of Afghani Indica with Hawaiian and Skunk #1. The Hawaiian is important as we succeeded to blend the citrus flavours of the East Coast with Kush effect of the Afghani and the cerebral high of Skunk #1. It has the mouth-watering taste of forest fruits.

MIMOSA EVO™ Feminized: The long awaited release from the lab at Barneys Farm has finally happened and our twist on these monster genetics have their seal of approval. Arise MIMOSA EVO™! Evolved from a famous Emerald Triangle cut originally bred by Symbiotic Genetics now supercharged! a priceless stud in the Barneys Farm vault. This 70% sativa dominant favourite is packed with Large frosted buds, rich in star studded cannabinoids and terpenes.

Sativa lovers will adore her zesty tropical lemony citrus taste with hints of berries to accompany the energising euphoric effects. MIMOSA EVO™ is an ideal daytime strain, real food for the brain, expect a gradual burst of energy, motivation and the uplifting zingy effect that will energise you coupled with a clear headed happy high throughout the day. THC levels are possible up to 30% by a grand master but 24-26% is more than enough for the indulgence of mere mortals.

My guess right now is that the Morning Glory will end up in the 3x3 on her own. I'm going to redo the scrog net in there after this run, and change how it's built. Should give a little better coverage than what's going on now (I just used one of my 2x2's I already had built and ready to go) which lead me to weaving under and out the sides. Worked, but with a better setup I could have used the space more efficiently.

Your back might appreciate the delayed harvest lol.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes indeed. Although with dry trimming and a tumbler this go, so far t’s been way better. :cheesygrinsmiley:

One day I hope to have the same, I get backaches just thinking about my upcoming harvest :laugh:

That’s why I finally bucked up for a little tumble trimmer. :cheesygrinsmiley:

What machine did you get if you don’t mind me asking?

ttt1600tt-jpg.2080378

It's a Tom's Tumbler. The 1600 hand crank model. Seemed like an easy way to get into it without a really huge expense. If I like it, I can upgrade it to a motorized crank at some point.

This will be my first opportunity to use it, so I'm a bit excited to see what happens.

That’s a nice unit! I can’t wait to see your report on it.

Thanks! It took a lot of time to figure things out. I almost went with a Trim Pro, however once I had it narrowed down to a couple different ones and started really digging into the nitty gritty on it, I found that it took a lot of cleaning (sometimes during a run.) I guess when it chops off the sugar leaves, some of the trichs from the leaves pretty much get everywhere below the grate, and then into all kinds of fun places.

I also looked at the trimbag real hard, but this is a similar principle and seems like it will be easier to use. It will also be really simple to modify for smaller batches, although I have yet to do that. It gives you a fill range, and suggests it will take about half a pound up to a full pound. Guess it depends on volume and such.

I may give it a test run this weekend. When I bucked down the super lemon haze, there were some hidden leaves from some the inner spots on some of those really big cola's. Plus that will give me a little bit of info so when it's really go time here in 10 days or so when it's all dried and ready.

Hey MultiV. From a comment you made in some other thread I gather that you are running Mega Crop in a reservoir, so I wandered in here to check it out, and so you are.

I’m planning to go away for a few weeks on a trip and at last minute the caretaker has ‘fallen in love’. Like... whatever. Yuck.
Anyway, she has flaked out on me so I’m hurriedly setting up a res and an auto watering system with all the shitty inadequate equipment that I have around. If I was to order better equipment by mail to this remote location I would be waiting for a month or two.

Mainly I guess, has the MC been working out for you well in the reservoir? No crazy ph swings or other random quirks? I’m planning to mix up about 100 gallons of it for flowering and a 50 gallon barrel for veg. I’ll add some Z7, wasn’t planning to put in bubblers but I could.

Thanks dude.

Welcome Weasel!

I am certainly running MegaCrop, and in reservoirs.

This particular tent being a 50gal RDWC setup. (My other threads are a 20gal res, 4-site dutch bucket setup, and a 5gal res, single site dutch bucket.)

It sounds like you'll be doing drain to waste?

What I've found with MegaCrop is on its own it's perfectly stable once mix up well. Add some type of silica to it (like ProTekt or the like) and it will fight itself to stay high (like high 7's or 8's.) Now that may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your method/medium. Coco or hydro, it's bad juju. Promix (or sunshine, etc) or soil, not really an issue.

Where you really get pH changes is when you recirculate, so not too much of a worry there in your setup it would seem.

Where you'll run into issues if gone for a real long period is strength. If you have a 3 week old plant, but you'll be gone a month, you'll be in trouble. Although that's the same for pretty much any nutrient line and not unique to MegaCrop.

The other thing is how often to water. It may be one interval today, but in two weeks it could be more.

I've had to do similar, but was only gone about 10 days. Not a small weekend, but not a super long time either. I set mine to where it was just enough water each time, and I was running it about every 36 hours. A hair long on one plant, but a hair early on the others. It worked out, thankfully.

I had a pump internal to the res that was just for circulating the reservoir. I would turn that on 15 minutes before the watering pump turned on so that the res was well mixed when the main came on. I would then turn the circulating pump off 15 minutes after the main turned off to further circulate and keep the res mixed.

You'll have to test the setup, and I hope you have a few days to do so. I would recommend turning on the watering system, starting a timer, and waiting for point where the pots emit their first drip. Hit the stop on the timer immediately. Subtract 15 seconds and that's going to be the time you want to water. This will not produce the run-off like a normal watering, but that's what you want. You barely want any run-off. Just a couple drops would be fine. This is so you don't start to pool water in saucers, and then all the things that come from that.

Of course if you have some sort of automated drain setup for run off, that's a different story.

Is there another friend you trust that could maybe help you out?

Hey there MV, nice harvest. I’ll gonna be running some IHG seed pretty soon myself. Can’t wait to see how yours turn out. Those strains you’ve selected should be great. I’ll be watching when you start that run up.

I should have a Terple seed in soil by the end of May.

Hey there MV, nice harvest. I’ll gonna be running some IHG seed pretty soon myself. Can’t wait to see how yours turn out. Those strains you’ve selected should be great. I’ll be watching when you start that run up.

I should have a Terple seed in soil by the end of May.

Thanks Chef. I’m excited for the IHG run myself! I’ve been impressed with their stuff for a while, but always been nervous to pull the trigger on anything. Until recently, of course!

I may have to have a preview, who knows. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I won’t be able to refrain from popping one the moment I have the seed pack in my hand. I’ll have 9 more to squirrel away for another time. I’m excited to pass a cut around too. My local buddies have never grown genetics on that level.

Welcome Weasel!

I am certainly running MegaCrop, and in reservoirs.

This particular tent being a 50gal RDWC setup. (My other threads are a 20gal res, 4-site dutch bucket setup, and a 5gal res, single site dutch bucket.)

It sounds like you'll be doing drain to waste?

What I've found with MegaCrop is on its own it's perfectly stable once mix up well. Add some type of silica to it (like ProTekt or the like) and it will fight itself to stay high (like high 7's or 8's.) Now that may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your method/medium. Coco or hydro, it's bad juju. Promix (or sunshine, etc) or soil, not really an issue.

Where you really get pH changes is when you recirculate, so not too much of a worry there in your setup it would seem.

Where you'll run into issues if gone for a real long period is strength. If you have a 3 week old plant, but you'll be gone a month, you'll be in trouble. Although that's the same for pretty much any nutrient line and not unique to MegaCrop.

The other thing is how often to water. It may be one interval today, but in two weeks it could be more.

I've had to do similar, but was only gone about 10 days. Not a small weekend, but not a super long time either. I set mine to where it was just enough water each time, and I was running it about every 36 hours. A hair long on one plant, but a hair early on the others. It worked out, thankfully.

I had a pump internal to the res that was just for circulating the reservoir. I would turn that on 15 minutes before the watering pump turned on so that the res was well mixed when the main came on. I would then turn the circulating pump off 15 minutes after the main turned off to further circulate and keep the res mixed.

You'll have to test the setup, and I hope you have a few days to do so. I would recommend turning on the watering system, starting a timer, and waiting for point where the pots emit their first drip. Hit the stop on the timer immediately. Subtract 15 seconds and that's going to be the time you want to water. This will not produce the run-off like a normal watering, but that's what you want. You barely want any run-off. Just a couple drops would be fine. This is so you don't start to pool water in saucers, and then all the things that come from that.

Of course if you have some sort of automated drain setup for run off, that's a different story.

Is there another friend you trust that could maybe help you out?

Thank you very kindly for the detailed reply.

Yes I’m doing regular hand-watered drain to waste in Sunshine Mix (peat moss/perlite). I have run junior versions of this type of watering system setup in the past, though not for more than about 10 day stretches, so I’m aware of some of the issues. It’s hard to do much more than just keep them on life-support, on the same mix with a bunch of different sizes plants with different needs at different stages. Some are going to get a bit toasted, others are going to starve, others are going to probably going to get over/under watered, etc.

Life support is really all I’m hoping for at this point though. Yes it’s theoretically possible I could scrape up a caretaker but the one guy I actually trust to not screw it up is in quarantine. Also this vacation setup thing is a puzzle I need to solve in the big picture, so I may as well start now. Yes I have a few more days to test it, and have the system set up now on the timer so will see how well the watering schedule works in coming days.

I’m not super worried about the pH for this medium as it’s pretty well buffered, but mostly from habit I don’t really like to see crazy ph swings. I have a drain in the floor so drainage is not really an issue.
Learned my lesson with silica for sure.

Glad to hear that the MC has been stable and working well for you. I’ve been using it just for the last month or so. The jury is out so far but most people do seem happy with the stuff.

What most sticks out for me from your reply is the comment about circulation. I’m not really a reservoir guy. Is it essential to have a pump running in there for circulation to stir things up? Because I can do that if necessary, though if not I won’t, because it is more equipment used and more fiddling around.

:thanks:

I won’t be able to refrain from popping one the moment I have the seed pack in my hand. I’ll have 9 more to squirrel away for another time. I’m excited to pass a cut around too. My local buddies have never grown genetics on that level.

I can neither confirm nor deny that something akin to your first sentence has floated through my head. :D

We'll see what happens; or should I say develops? :cheesygrinsmiley:

What most sticks out for me from your reply is the comment about circulation. I’m not really a reservoir guy. Is it essential to have a pump running in there for circulation to stir things up? Because I can do that if necessary, though if not I won’t, because it is more equipment used and more fiddling around.

I think it is a good idea. I have a 20gal res that I mentioned, and it has a circ pump. I have one hooked up for my reservoir on my RDWC, although I manually run that one. Don't need it most of the time. (I use it when I add stuff to the res like Z7, pH up/down, etc.) Once MC is in solution it doesn't really settle, but still a good idea to keep things stirred up if you can. If not, it's not going to break anything. Think of it like this: If you watered out of a bucket, and that full bucket contained more than one watering worth, would you stir the water before using it? It wouldn't need to be a heavy pump, something in the 100-200gph range will work, or whatever you have. Check the wattage on them, but I bet they're not as much as you fear. I think my 400gph pumps use like 28w. The little 50gph pump I use in my RDWC res is like 12w or something trivial. There are pumps out there that do draw more of course.

One thing I didn't mention was air. I would strongly suggest running air. Doesn't have to be deep, maybe 12" below the surface. (If you have a big air pump that can let you put the stone deeper, that would be good.) Have you ever smelled stagnant water? It can get a little funky. Now add nutes into that picture. Ewww. Something else is that the bad bacteria just love water that's low in oxygen. Having the water well aerated helps fight that too.

Back
Top Bottom