My First Grow Journal - By Mcloadie

In my opinion as a new newbie, one of the most difficult things to learn is watering schedules. We just follow the instructions on the fert. box or bottle, but watering, has been a way bigger skill to work on.....for me. I still hate to water early, but definately don't want a wilt ( even a microwilt, if you will ) during flower. My whole philosophy on growing is centered around not stressing my plants. some agree, some disagree, but thats how I roll. I shook my outdoor plants every morning, mostly to shake the grasshoppers off LOL, and it's looking like my plants now are gonna kick their ass in every way except height. I know that when I have to fiddle about them they appear to be irritated, agitated, even turning leaves completely upside down at me as if to say F you, leave us alone. When I water/feed their leaves curl downward slightly for about 3 hours and then back to normal. The day after I water they flex upward and sunbathe like chicks on the beach. I may be a little crazy about growing, but intimacy with my grow allows me to fine tune my system and methods. They look real good this morning, some pistils are turning brown/shriveling at their tips, which I never noticed to this extent. It may be that when examined in outdoor lighting it wasn't as easily visible. These plant I have now are certainly my best yet....in my opinion. My cali seeds still havent popped, thats 3 out of 30 so far have worked. I wonder if they're seein that shit in the mail under xray and zappin em with radiation....LOL, I really think they're old or they've been exposed to extreme conditions, like in the dashboard of some loadies car for a week! It's all good, I'm thankful to have em, and like fishies ordeal, they are sending me more, and I even got to pick strains this time.

Afghan Kush just poked her head up this morning. Waiting for Caramelo. For anyones info: If you ever buy a humidifier you're going to have to use distilled water or the like. On the filter type, the filter deteriorates quickly with water containing alot of minerals. With the misting type, the water is evaporated into the air, but the minerals fall where your fan takes them, which is on your plants, leaving a white powder. Just FYI, I'm glad when I find peoples posts explaining shit I'm dealing with, or a heads up before I make a purchase or a bad move. Thanks to all, from the first timer to the pro!

in soil grows I just use the old pick it up right after you water it to judge the weight and then dont water again until its super light so just before shes about to wilt.its really important to let the soil dry out in between feedings so the roots get the oxygen they need bro.

I have to agree with jon here..
My plant's happiest time, is just before the wilt when the pots are getting really light.
At least with my OG's anyway, they love drying out.
All that CO2 they're getting in veg makes them hella thirsty too.

LOL, it seems like I'm learnin to water every day. My plants are very near me and I pop in on em many times a day, and I'm especially watchin for those balls that have been showin up....probably " false balls " from what I'm reading. I have one plant with the lowest leaves on the bottom, those lower leaves will droop ever so slightly and I'll have the water ready as I can predict it within 4 hours. Thats how I'm watering the big girls, and I'm tryin ta figure out the 1 gal pots now. My next project is gonna be in 1 gal pots, it appears as though one might get a larger harvest by having more plants in smaller containers and not topping them ect. This is supposed to be true when growing with very limited space, I would be happy with a bunch of "spears ", as we used to call em. They came from oxacoa mexico, or however it's spelled......ass kickin weed!

it appears as though one might get a larger harvest by having more plants in smaller containers and not topping them ect. This is supposed to be true when growing with very limited space

I don't know about that..
But then again, I'm a huge believer in topping and LST.
To each their own though. Some can obtain amazing yields from multiple smaller "sphere" plants like you speak of..Hempy's, SOG, etc.
I'm one that's learned (for me) that big containers give massive root balls which in turn give "more" big buds.
Conditioning the medium with everything needed to produce healthy roots. Not just food, but Enzymes, vitamins, and root stimulants. Everything you'd "have" to do with hydro to ensure healthy roots, just adapted to drain to waste..
I'd rather give my plants tons of room and an ideally loaded medium to do whatever they wanted below ground, than have them decide they're going to go nuts, and get root bound by being stuck in a smaller container. (stress equaling less yield)
But that's just my opinion.

Plus it limits your numbers of plants..
In this day and age when people have to worry about their plant numbers.
I think the future is combining tried and true techniques, to grow healthy monster plants!
Don't know about you, but I get pretty stoked when I see people pulling a half pound or pound(s) off a single plant.
I'm like,
wiw!

Time for another story. When I was a kid I had a few friends who were of samoan ancestry ( in the army with me ). These dudes were plenty crazy and I got on with them well. They used to try to get me to go with them to samoa at Christmas time. As crazy as they were here ( alot of fisticuffs and worse ), in the U.S., there was no friggin way I was goin to their hometown, with them, at Christmas. I was still way cool with them and asked them if they would bring me a scooby snack back of some native weed. So anyhow as soon as the guys were back who went somewhere for Christmas, we were scheduled to go to the field and play war games ( A 7 day artep exercise ). These samoans showed back up just in time to get their gear and get on the trucks to go. So we get in the woods and I asked homeboy if he got a chance to get what I asked for. He said " oh yeah " and handed me this black rubber/leather looking thing that was shaped like the sole of a shoe where he had hidden it for the flight back. We got where we were gonna "camp LOL " and I showed it to my assistant and asked him to try to figure out how we were gonna smoke this " thing ". He said no problem, dropped the back pin on his m-16, let the upper reciever tilt forward, stuffed the chamber full and started tokin. That piece of whatever it was, was some stoney shit! It probly weighed an ounce and it was like tar with tiny pieces of leaves and who knows what else in it, with the look of smooth black leather. I smoked many different exotic kinds of things at that assignment.

I don't know about that..
But then again, I'm a huge believer in topping and LST.
To each their own though. Some can obtain amazing yields from multiple smaller "sphere" plants like you speak of..Hempy's, SOG, etc.
I'm one that's learned (for me) that big containers give massive root balls which in turn give "more" big buds.
Conditioning the medium with everything needed to produce healthy roots. Not just food, but Enzymes, vitamins, and root stimulants. Everything you'd "have" to do with hydro to ensure healthy roots, just adapted to drain to waste..
I'd rather give my plants tons of room and an ideally loaded medium to do whatever they wanted below ground, than have them decide they're going to go nuts, and get root bound by being stuck in a smaller container. (stress equaling less yield)
But that's just my opinion.

Plus it limits your numbers of plants..
I get pretty stoked when I see people pulling a half pound or pound(s) off a single plant.
I'm like,
wiw!

Thanks for your opinion bro, I can grow 8 in 5 gal pots, or thirty in one gallon pots, If they get rootbound I can cull all but 8 and transplant into fives. It could cost me a coupla weeks time growin. I'm still thinkin about it anyway, I need some space ! I havent seen these big indoor plants in person, but they must grow awfully fast to have that much weed in 120 or so days. I want to learn how they do it and duplicate their results. My buddy in cali grows outdoors, only feeds twice per season and is gettin lbs per plant like that. I haven't discussed soil, or anything about " growin weed " for that matter with him. I have mucho respect for this dude, and I will become educated to an extent before I approach him about specifics in growing. I am tryin ta make it as easy as possible to teach me that part of the program, so I have a decent understanding of the whole proposal. He has always been at my heels to grow, and is snickerin at my escapades now I'm sure! I worked for many years with " sensitive " subjects and was bound by strict guidelines relating to controlled substances,( and it's not a bad Idea to be completely " sober " in that capacity) in my past profession. I have never even smoked weed with him! He is a close brother and I will honor the effort he has put into his profession as he honored mine. That made me remember he sent me a scooby snack and I have to go get it! We live a thousand miles apart!

Todays pics: Caramelo, afghan kush
015345.JPG
013425.JPG
004978.JPG
Kinda interesting leaves, thin blades
007759.JPG
0031051.JPG

If I can keep these plants healthy..............:thumb: This is a result of OUR hard work, I listen to you folks and apply the ideas that seem appropriate.....thanks everyone!

Good Morning! When I watered yesterday I added 1tsp GO Biothrive " bloom"/gal water. I did this because I noticed it had some trace elements that dr earth didn't. I wasn't trippin, but when I bought the kit my friendly grow store didn't have the product recommended as part of the kit that contained the seaweed extracts. Anyway, they got it now. I was going to put the new sprouts in pots, as they require periodic attention to water being in these cool little 1" paper pots that the ol lady brought me home. Theyre tryin to dissolve already and I like that, NO stress at all. They are in happy frog now, and when they go in their final growing medium I believe that the nutes have to soak thru the paper giving the roots an abbeviated dose, that gradually increases over a coupla days, again no overnute stress. I did this with the last 4 and they are lovin life in the nursery. Pics of nursery tomorrow. It's a rainy day and I'm gonna chill and watch the grass grow. Still no seeds popped out of the 14 in germination. I'm putting two seeds in for germination that I know are viable, into the exact same conditions to confirm that I need to quit wasting my time on these beans. I have plenty of good seeds, I was just tryin ta grow these as I know they were intended to be used in a program. Have a lovely day peoples!

007760.JPG
006797.JPG
Well, I made a huge rookie mistake, I thought I saw another "ball" on one of the girls so I took them all out of the closet. When I found the "ball" again there was another one next to it, i went to rub them off and one of them popped and the pollen slid down the stem. I took some on a qtip, put it on a few flowers and rinsed the rest down the stem (it was on one of the lowest buds) and I'm hoping for the best. I hope I just get a seed here and there, but with the circulation I have it's probly everywhere. I credit this blunder to the inability to see inside the closet well. I don't move my plants around ( except for today) and it's impossible to get to certain "blind spots". SHHIT! I inspected the rest of the brood and stuck em back under the light....live and learn.

You might get a few seeds but i dont think it will be that bad lol SANTA IS FUCKIN AWESOME!!!!
Or perhaps an elf dressed as santa lol either way he is amazing lol

Back
Top Bottom