My First Grow!

I'm using the TechnaFlora Recipe for Success starter kit. The formula currently in the reservoir consists of BC Boost, BC Grow, Sugar Daddy, TA B-1 Red, MagiCal.

So far, the RFS starter kit turned out to be a good buy. They aren't the 'newest thing out,' but I am impressed. I might continue to use this system, as the nutrient suite seems to hold a fairly constant pH, which I try to check every day. This is not a huge deal to me, unless the number is too high or too low. Plants absorbe different nutrients more efficiently at different pH levels. So far, I have been trying to start the pH at 5 and let it climb over the course of the week. I am using tap water for this grow. I can't really afford an RO system right now, plus tap has a bunch of micronutrients, as well as the ability to hold a constant pH. I may start getting bottled water for flowering, or I may not. So far, I am just happy that these plants are still alive and kicking. I can't wait until they get big enough to sex. At their current rate of growth, that should be sometime within the next 2-3 weeks, or not. I am a total n00b at this, so we shall see!!

Farmr Jane - Mine are about 14-18 days from seed. I feel like the progression of their growth has been somewhat delayed up to this point, as night-time temps around here have been in the lower-teens. My basement has been around 55-60 degrees, I think.

Agreed - the ladies(?) love the new light. 400w was just perfect for what I need. I could see myself upgrading to a 600w at some point down the line, but for now, the 400 gets it!!

Farmr Jane - Mine are about 14-18 days from seed. I feel like the progression of their growth has been somewhat delayed up to this point, as night-time temps around here have been in the lower-teens. My basement has been around 55-60 degrees, I think.

Agreed - the ladies(?) love the new light. 400w was just perfect for what I need. I could see myself upgrading to a 600w at some point down the line, but for now, the 400 gets it!!

Looking good! you'll have your new equipment soon and those little ladies will be more than handful ;) in a good way.
:goodjob:

600 + 400 or just one light?

Lovely little ladies sir. It seems as though you keep a pretty clean grow. Stay diligent in your efforts to be clean. It can make a big difference and is a good prevention technique. :popcorn:

Good evening everyone!!! I have made a few changes in my setup that I would like to share with everyone!! First -

At the advice of several members, I have changed my tubing over from clear, to black.

S7305290.jpg

The Rubbermaid ebb and flow was a great idea, but after reading through other DIY ebb journals, I decided to make a major change...

S7305287.jpg

I bought a mixing tub from Home Depot. I found them over by the cement and mortar. They are actually being sold as "mortar tubs," in case anyone is interested.

S7305283.jpg

S7305286.jpg

S7305285.jpg

This was a good change, as I now have adequate room for all of my plants! I finally put the two runts into their big blocks. The mixing tub is definitely the way to go for DIY ebb and flow. Home Depot has officially become my most favorite store!! So the new stuff finally got shipped out today. It's coming FedEx, so hopefully they get it here by the end of the week. Smokey wants his new toys, dammit!!!

Until next time....

:rollit:

Never done ebb and flow - but it does look like a great find (the mixing tub). The black tubing is a good idea - clear isn't ideal for our purposes.

You're doing great so far - they look good. Are you keeping a light breeze on them to help strengthen the stems?

Keep up the great work Smokey! :cheer:

Have you thought about getting a big cardboard box painting the inside white to contain & reflect the light?

hth

Great suggestion PetFlora - I think he has a grow-tent on the way that should help with reflected light immensely.

Looking good Smokey!

Lol,thats never the way we feel when we first get it. Then we upgrade and curse about what once made us happy. Viscious cycle. Retire the old reflector with pride my friend. :smokin:

Lol, yeah you are definitely right. It was good for the purpose it needed to serve.

So the ladies did not like the transition as well as I had hoped. They have been wilting today, and basically just looking sad. I have a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with the hydroton. I had to add some to the new planter. I rinsed the heck out of it, but apparently there was enough dust left to coat the bottom of my reservoir and upset my girls.

I can see why some view Hydroton as a pain in the ass.

Lol, yeah you are definitely right. It was good for the purpose it needed to serve.

So the ladies did not like the transition as well as I had hoped. They have been wilting today, and basically just looking sad. I have a sneaking suspicion it has something to do with the hydroton. I had to add some to the new planter. I rinsed the heck out of it, but apparently there was enough dust left to coat the bottom of my reservoir and upset my girls.

I can see why some view Hydroton as a pain in the ass.

I have always used hydroton, and have never had any issues. Hydroton is fabulous stuff for hydroponic gardening - I think your babies were just reacting to the change. They'll bounce back in a day or two tops, I promise.

Yeah Xlr8, youre probably right. How do you get all the dust off of it? I can get most, but that first batch new batch in has fouled my reservoir twice now. Perhaps I am just being too careless... After talking with the guy at the hydro shop, I have come to the conclusion that I have been over-watering my plants. I will only be watering once a day for now, as the large Grodan blocks I have transplanted into hold alot more water than I originally thought. Thanks for the calming words!

I am beginning to see the disadvantages of growing mixed bagseed -- each one of these plants likes something a little bit different. After checking on them this morning, I noticed that Leela was looking not only healthy, but happy!!! Clearly, she(?) is from a line that likes a wet growing environment.

So, after careful contemplation, I decided to order a couple of seeds. On the way is a feminized Orange Bud (100% Skunk) and one feminized Humboldt seed. The plan is to grow these into mothers, and then take clones.

Sativa. This is the type of smoke that I enjoy the most. Indica is nice and all, but I would rather have the clarity and energy boost that comes with a good sativa high, versus the couchlock and munchies of the indicas.

Anyway, the plan is to keep one or two of the bagseed ladies for mothers as well, with the mindset that any seed can produce good weed, if you love it enough.

T Minus two days until the arrival of the tent!!

:rollit:

Love sativas - unfortunately I have such limited space that I usually can only do indicas or hybrids that are indica heavy.. A good sativa is just... fun. Indicas seem to work better for my pain relief, though, so I'm good with that at this point.

Back
Top Bottom