So, here is an actual update.

S7305328.jpg

They are getting big!!

S7305329.jpg

S7305330.jpg

S7305331.jpg

S7305332.jpg

S7305333.jpg

So there we have it! When do you all think that I should take cuttings?

:rollit:

The plants look really good - Nice and healthy. I don't have much cloning experience personally, but here is a good link that might help:

When should I take clones from my plants?

Keep up the nice work my friend! :bravo:

High SMM, girls looking really good. If you are planning to top them then yeah by all means use those tops for cloning. If you are not, I would still wait to clone. IMO they are still too small to take clones off of them. I actually just took clones off of my girls today.

:eek:fftopic:---> I have a video for you to watch. It's on my thread on the last page just a few posts up. Make sure you are medicated when you watch it though. It totally trips me out whenever I watch that stuff.

Good news everyone!

I was a busy bee today and got many things accomplished. First, I rearranged my tent and remote located my reservoir.

S7305335.jpg

As you can see, this made quite a bit of floor space available. Also, this contributed to the cleanliness of the grow as a whole. For example:

S7305339.jpg

I now have room to expand if I so desire. Also, checking/changing the reservoir will now be a breeze.

Next, I installed the carbon filter and inline fan.

S7305338.jpg

I was going to try to wait until flowering to do this, but these girls(?) are starting to get a little funky.

S7305336.jpg

S7305340.jpg

I swear, these plants are growing faster and faster each day. The one on the far right has a beast of a stem going already.

I changed my reservoir today. Below is the new mix

6ga. Water
90mL BC Boost
45mL BC Grow
15mL TA B-1 Red
15mL MagiCal
30mL Sugar Daddy

pH of 5.5-6.5

Now for the most exciting part -

S7305341.jpg

The seeds arrived today!!! And fast too!!! I can barely contain my excitement. I am thinking about switching to 12/12 soon so I can get the new seeds started. Any thoughts?

Well first off I'm here and went over all 7 pages of your grow. Great work :bravo:

You've got some nice plants going. They are young but keep an eye on sexing them, meaning weather they are male or female. If they haven't shown sex by the time you do the switch over, be sure keep a close eye out for balls. But that's once you switch over to 12/12. Looks like you got a great plan and are executing it well. Job well done!!

Thanks for stopping in Butcher! I feel a sense of relief knowing that I have a few experienced growers following along. I have wanted a legit setup for many years now, and it feels good to finally have it!!

I can't decide whether to clone and sex, or just switch the lights and watch for the signs. The good seeds came and have me getting a little antsy!

Plants are looking very happy after last nights reservoir change. I am getting some yellowing on the first true leaves that formed, but am thinking that they might just be getting ready to fall off, as the rest of the plants look very healthy. Not quite as dark green as I would like, but that probably comes from growing outdoor seeds indoors.

As a side note....man, does that Sugar Daddy ever go quick! I am already needing another bottle.

More to come.

Depends on how tall your plants are right now. Either way your getting some buds and starting some dank shit. I like the thought of growing some Orange Bud. So I would probably flower them. But I am impatient sometimes. Also indecisive. Sorry that probably didn't help.

yeah, tell me about it. Don't get me wrong carbs are necessary, however I you can get away w/ 1 tsp. per gallon until the growth starts to kick in. Til then your all good; trust me your going to want to carb the hell out of your plant once the flowering truly kicks in. Carbs at an early stage are their to help the photosynthesis process, once flowering has started that is when the carbs take on another job, which is sweetening and resin production. Once again in in veg i use 1-2 tsp. per gallon. Again this is from experience and not suggested from any company or person.

Oh and its all good if you choose to flower right now, just be sure to keep an eye out for males. Another way to early sex is to take a clone root it while mom is in veg then switch the clone to 12/12 after roots have been established. I throw it in some soil w/ the intentions of never growing it out, just using the clone to sex the plant. Or you can throw it in some rockwool w/ some Hydroton hand water, till sex shows, then decide what you want to do with it after. You could place her back in veg once hairs have sprouted, it will pause the growth for a couple days but it will kick back in. This is the easiest way to sex if you don't want to wait for it to show. Again this is just a suggestion.

As long as you pay close attention to the node area's 3 to 5 days after switching over , you can determine sex without sacrificing any to early clippings. Less sacrifices the better . i'm from the Save the nodes foundation and there are 1000's of healthy nodes being sacrificed daily. help out with monthly +rep payments and join the fight. :)

As long as you pay close attention to the node area's 3 to 5 days after switching over , you can determine sex without sacrificing any to early clippings. Less sacrifices the better . i'm from the Save the nodes foundation and there are 1000's of healthy nodes being sacrificed daily. help out with monthly +rep payments and join the fight. :)

I feel ya, it's more toward the effect that he's not to sure if he wants to switch over or let them grow out yet. To help with this dilemma I suggest to take a cutting, this will help him not have to over complicate the grow by regretting the switch. Flipp'n back in forth between veg and flower can trigger the hermi gene; that's if the strain has it. I'd rather not play the odds on that one. IMHO its not worth taking the chance just to be able to keep a plant to mother. But hey to each his/her own. Great advice though :tokin: +rep

Greetings!!! Joebong - I love the idea of growing some Orange bud. I used to get it all the time when I was younger, but I have not seen it around here in years. Really, we don't get sativa where I am from. It is all indica or indica dominant. Butcher - that was a great idea about building up stock on the nutrients. Also, you are def. right; this is a great kit for beginners. The mixing chart is a life-saver that also teaches you about the different kinds of nutrients and additives. The recipe for success kit is going moderately fast for me. I need more Sugar Daddy, will need more B-1 Red after next res change, and will need more Boost for the res change following that. I have found some great deals on Amazon for these nutrients: 1L SD + 1L Boost + 1L MagiCal for $60.00US. Just worry that bottles would come roughly handled and leaking. The local hydro shop carries the full line, but there is considerable markup.

I started dialing my timer back today in preparation for the switch to 12/12; I was running 18/6, starting today the new cycle is 16/8. The thought being that in nature, the days do not just go from 18 to 12 hours long in one day. Hopefully, by doing this, the plants will be less stressed and therefore less likely to go hermie. It seems as though bag seeds tend to herm a little easier than verified strains, or at least that is what I have read. So, the plan is to knock off 30-60 minutes each day until I reach 12/12. Ideally, this should occur by next res change.

Hey Smokey -

Looking good! I'm jealous on the new seeds, I'm anxious to try Orange Bud myself. New tent and set-up looks fantastic. Just checked out your Home built Ebb & Flow tutorial - well done my friend! :high-five:

I think it's a fine time to work towards flowering (as you're doing) - love the approach of working it down gradually - I may try that at some point. I've always just "flipped the switch" so to speak, but your plan seems sound and more natural.

Re: My first grow!!!

Alright... so here are a few pics of how we are currently coming along. I took farmer.ed's sage advice into account and placed the sprouts in my ebb tray. I will be switching primary irrigation system over to ebb and flow later in the week -- I need to rinse my hydroton more thorougly.

So, here is a picture of the setup in it's current incarnation:

Transplanted_3.jpg

The stretching seems to have stopped....for now...

Transplanted_2.jpg

And from a slightly different angle...

Transplanted_1.jpg

Ok, I have been watering 2x daily with a fairly weak solution of Root 66 and Sugar Daddy with an average pH right around 6. I can't decide if I should continue with this solution at res change, or if I should change over to the veg nutrient mixture. Any feedback would be most appreciated!!!

Now for the lighting issue. I need more light, and I have a few options. I was planning on getting a two-bulb T5 HO fixture, but I have a feeling that will still not provide enough light. So, now I am stuck between a 400w MH/HPS setup and the new Kessil LED grow lamps. Nothing in the way of LED lighting systems has impressed me very much. However, the Kessil appears to be a very promising next-step for LED lights.

Here is one of the official vids -

YouTube - Kessil's Plant Research Lab

And here is one demonstrating brightness inside a tent -

YouTube - Kessil LED grow test

As you can see, these are incredibly intense growing lights. I am just not sure if I should invest in these, or just play it safe and go with the switchable ballast HID light. Well, I am looking forward to reading everyone's responses!!! I will be ordering today, as I do not want the stretching situation to get any worse. So, until next time.... :rollit:
I use a luminitec 400 watter. I paid about 180 on ebay. That was a yr ago and no problems !! I grow 4 plants at a time and a 600 watter would be better, but I don't want the electric bill !! You'll be happy with the lumitec. Probably spelled wrong !! Mine came with a mh and hps bulb . If $$ is not an issue, then i'd recommend an air cooled hood !! I grow all my clones under cfl bulbs. I use the 23 watt ones and just keep adding bulbs as the size increases. I used to veg under leds and that worked well, but 1/2 of each 90 watt light went dead. I use the lumitec 400 to flower only. Good luck to you !!

Thank you for stopping in, Slowpuffer. That was actually only my initial setup. Check out the rest of my journal for the current setup.... I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Changed the reservoir out tonight to the flowering mix:

6ga. Water
90mL BCBoost
90mL BCBloom
20mL TA B-1 Red
15mL Awesome Blossoms
15mL MagiCal
pH 5.0

The mix calls for Sugar Daddy as well, but waitin on a paycheck to go pick some up. Probably will add that on Monday. I noticed tonight that since the switch to 12/12, my plants have become nutrient consuming monsters. Before the switch, my Delta blocks were staying nice and damp for 18 hours with only two two-minute waterings per day. Tonight, I arrived home to find my cubes almost completely dried out!!! Holy Cow!!!! So I also changed the watering cycle to 7am, 1pm, and 6pm, for 13 mintues each cycle.

It seems like they are gearing up for a serious growth spurt. This is good.

So far - 2 votes for Humboldt 0 votes for Orange Bud
Humboldt leads.

Back
Top Bottom