My first indoor grow - anyone willing to help and take a look at the grow?

2fast4m3

So I am growing 25 plants. Its great white shark auto, and I am using HPS 600w and i m growing from seedlings. First about watering. I have placed germinated seeds 72 h ago in the soil and the soil was quite dry so i poured 2dl of water over each 6L pot. and then maybe another dl over the period of these three days. The soil feels moist(not too moist though) as soon as you stick finger over an inch. I guess i am not over or underwatering them...:) The seedlings started to appear after good 24h and by 72nd hour all of them were out. Whats wierd is that few seedlings appeared with only one cotyledone?? and one seedling is showing signs of yellowing (one of the cotyledone-they r supposed to die off rignt?) The PH of the water is more or less 6.5 and that of the soil is 5.5 - 6. I am using plagron growmix terra soil.

Second thing i wanted to ask is about hps i am using. The first two days they were over 1 meter away, as of today i have them at 80cm and the temps get to around 27.5c max. The lights are 24/0 which i changed today to 20/4 so they get some rest. How should i go about lowering the lights further? 5-10cm a day?

My third and finak question is what do you think by looking at the pictures? Do seedlings look healthy to you or am i about to get a loss of my life:):)(they are everything to me hehe) One more info, the temps in the room are from 22 to 27celsius, humidity 33%-50%; avering 40% ( i m a bit worried about having too low humdity levels). And i have air exhaust and air inlets for fresh air from another room. I also use two ventilator fans.

20121220_200209.jpg

20121220_200253.jpg

20121220_200350.jpg

20121220_200337.jpg

20121220_200304.jpg

20121220_200426.jpg

20121220_200413.jpg

Do you have florescent lights by any chance? Those would be better for vegetative growth.
I don't know much about HPS cause I've been using florescents my entire grow. For the light hours keep them at 24/0 you want them to veg out as much as possible keep the lights about five inches above the plants, keep a fan on them to control the temp.
Good luck! And check out my grow yeah? Tell me what you think. It's my first grow.

ok fella. first thing.

can you get us a side edge (thinest surface in a 3d sence) view, sometimes the coyts stay fused together by a little bit of seed gunk. just need other perspectives pls
20121220_200350.jpg

secondly.
1157989-Foot-Candle2520Chart2520HPS.jpg

For a seedling, i would go double the minimum safe distance on the chart for your light, plenty of time to give them strong light once they established...for now they can see it and get more than enough energy to establish its foundations.

temps sound good. try to stay under 30c at all times except when using co2 enrichment

humidity really should be 50% to 80% in veg and 20% to 50% in flower, but going as low as possible at the end helps resin.

hope this all helps =)

Do you have florescent lights by any chance? Those would be better for vegetative growth.
I don't know much about HPS cause I've been using florescents my entire grow. For the light hours keep them at 24/0 you want them to veg out as much as possible keep the lights about five inches above the plants, keep a fan on them to control the temp.
Good luck! And check out my grow yeah? Tell me what you think. It's my first grow.

put your journal link in your signature, or people have to work hard to find it.

I agree with GiGaBaNE, you need to keep your distance from those high intensity discharge lights. Whether it be hps or mh. If you don't have flourescent lighting then put those little girls on the comer of the room for a weeks worth of i direct lighting. My buddy does his like that and i don't know why... He has plenty of cash for a common cool white fluorescent light setup. If you have some extra $¢$¢ then get one, if not, play it safe because they don't need much at that stage.

Sorry, it was supposed to say "a weeks worth of INDIRECT lighting". My bad, i should have checked it before i posted it.

Jesus H. Christ on a popsickle stick! I mentioned GiGaBaNE and I read the name from the wrong post. It was ashinkushaa that i was agreeing with. Dude, I'm not even stoned at the moment.

Thanks for respones. So i had them under ligtht for 3 days now meaning that i have few moredays of having the lights far away. But when should i start lowering them? During this weeks worth or during next week?

And the soil watering, my soil is dry on the surface but soon as u go inch or more deep it is moist, nit too moist but it is moist. Should i water them more? They got about 0.3 liter each in six liter pots since they were placed in the soil?

Tnx to everyone

I would wait another week depending on the size of the plants. More so than size, it depends on the leaves of the sprouts. The more leaf they have the more light they can turn into energy so you should post a pic in the next couple of days and get some feedback. I've subscribed to this journal so I'll be alerted when another post comes in and I'll be checking it. I'm sure others will as well and they'll tell you what they think too. If you ask me though, i would error on the side of caution. If you burn'em up, there's no going back and fixing them. Worst case scenario by keeping the lights further away, they won't be quite as big as they could have been with more lumens reaching it. This isn't a rare issue. In fact EVERY indoor grower deals with this to some degree if they are using hid lighting (high pressure sodium / metal halide). You want to get the most lumens onto the plants as you can but at the same time, they put out a lot of heat and if they're too close, you'll fry'em.

Thanks alot. What about watering, no one seems to say anything about that...is it okay if I water only when the soil starts getting dry beneath 2 inches.
I only watered them twice and not a lot as i am afraid of overwatering them. I watered until the soil gets moist half an inch or an inch underneath. Should i give them more water?

just keep lights high until first real leaves show or if seeedlings look very stretchy. if seedlings do look stretchy lower lights to point where if u put hand next to top of seedlings its just warm not hot and use cocktail sticks to help support seedlings. 3 foot will be absolutely fine. i did it that way for years. 1 600w isnt enough light for all those plants in that size pot, i guarantee it. u want 2 min. more plants doesnt mean more bud. 10 plants max with those size pots but 9 be better. u be looking at 15-28oz dry off 1 600w hps with 9 plants done correctly. it'll cost u more in feed and prob get less due to over crowding. if u want to pack the space go for 60 hempys in future to yield in region of 25-30oz dry when done correctly.

Next time germinate in jiffy pellets or small pots.

u shouldnt need to water more than once per week at this stage. uve given urself alot of work for ur first grow if u are starting with zero knowledge mate. but then i started with very large grows but if i had a time machine id of learned my trade small first to save thousands in costs due to fuck ups later on. good luck.

Okay so do you think my plants are recicivng too little light even at this stage? I have another hps ready but i was thinking of putting this one on after the very first week, which means i was gonna put it on in a day or two when the plants establish themselves a little bit. Should i just do it now? Thank you a lot for help, I really cant wait to see how evrything unfolds. This is so mucn more fun then i thought it would be. I love doing it and i can spend over an hour just lookong at the beauties and looking them grow:):):)

normally, i wouldnt bother worrying about a bit of seedling stretch, i take advantage of the stretch to add top dressing to the soil to just under the 1st node. but i can imagine top dressing dozens of plants may get tedious ;)

ill be finding out in a few weeks myself, got 30 going. thankfully ill be culling around half. i dont mind the idea of killing surplus males. gives me ample leafage to use as a tobacco substitue, lol

no dont add second light just yet, i thought u meant u were planning on doing full grow with the one light. id still have set up all done and ready for when u are switching more lights on though and have my extraction and fans running. use the 1 light for couple weeks or so till plants are maybe 6-10inches then add 2nd hps. in ur tent make sure u are exhausting it and have a passive intake. take a look on my journal how i have mine set up, its a hydro grow but i have done what u are doing now many times and theres plenty people subbed to my journal who could help u if u need to ask anything.

Thanks. I already have everything ready, i just plug it in and the hps will shine:) As for the exhaust, i already have one and i have air supply so i am all set on that as well. So i ll wait until they are 6 - 10 inches tall and then i ll add the second light. Tnx again for help:) i ll post pics later so u can see how the plants are doing.

Back
Top Bottom